Apartments: How Small is Small?

fountainhall

Apartments: How Small is Small?

Post by fountainhall »

Bangkok developers have been jumping on the bandwagon of small apartments. New developments in the outer fringes of the Skytrain and MRT can be as smalls 25 sq. meter. These are proving extremely popular with Thais coming to work in Bangkok for the first time and Chinese, Hong Kong and Singapore tourists who regard them as an investment.

Could the area become even smaller? 25 sq. meters is not small in Japanese cities like Tokyo and Osaka. Now in the large South American cities, citizens are fed up with spending several hours daily in huge traffic jams and paying skyrocketing rents near the centre. So in Sao Paolo one developer has built apartments that are just 10 sq. meters. Now the city regulations have increased the minimum living space - to 11 sq. meters!
"I would make them smaller if I could," [Alexandre Frankel, executive director of Vitaco, the firm behind a micro-apartment project in São Paulo] says

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/201907 ... in-america
Undaunted

Re: Apartments: How Small is Small?

Post by Undaunted »

FH...I believe U stated that U will sell your condo and move to Taiwan....It seems that Thais and Chinese prefer to buy new...Goodluck selling yours!
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

A move to Taiwan was one of the options I was considering in light of the fudge over the new Immigration visa regulations. In more recent posts I have mentioned I am more seriously looking at the Thailand Elite programme.

I have no idea how easy or otherwise it may be to sell my apartment. All I can say is that it is in the centre of Bangkok close to the CBD. After owning his apartment for only three years, my next-door neighbour recently sold his. The price he got? An increase of 66.66%. I think I will be OK if it comes to selling. But thank you for your consideration.
Jun

Post by Jun »

The apartment in the main picture is slightly too small. I presume the toilet is directly opposite the kitchen area.
The "sofa" looks very uncomfortable & presumably it converts into a bed.

However, the design is not entirely without merit. For a start, if you're lying on the sofa-bed, it's the perfect location to watch your latest boy taking a shower. Although looking more closely, perhaps they have spoilt this feature by frosting the lower half of the glass ?

To get a reasonable small appartment:
10 square metres is about right for a small bedroom.
Then you need a bathroom @4 sq metres, a kitchen at 6 sq m & perhaps 12m for a lounge. So 32 sq m ?