Sexual Assault Case against Kevin Spacey Dropped

fountainhall

Sexual Assault Case against Kevin Spacey Dropped

Post by fountainhall »

The case surrounding an alleged groping of an 18-year old male in a bar in 2016 has been dropped by prosecutors. Spacey had been charged with sexual assault and battery last year. It was the only case so far brought against the actor amid a raft of other sexual misconduct allegations.

It appears that the accuser or his mother had doctored text messages and manipulated screen shots on his cell phone. The phone has since disappeared and the accuser refused to answer questions on the witness stand, citing the 5th Amendment against self incrimination. To me, that smacks of someone who tried to set up Spacey because he had already been under suspicion of other sexual-related acts.

This was not the only charge the young man had brought against Spacey
The hearing at which the accuser testified came days after the man abruptly dropped a lawsuit he had just recently filed against the actor that sought damages for “severe and permanent mental distress and emotional injuries”. The suit was dismissed “with prejudice”, meaning it cannot be refiled.
Spacey still faces the first allegation made against him by an underaged boy and British police are investigating several allegations of sexual misconduct which allegedly took place in England whilst Spacey was Artistic Director of London's famous Old Vic Theatre.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/201 ... -nantucket
Gaybutton

Re: Sexual Assault Case against Kevin Spacey Dropped

Post by Gaybutton »

Charges dropped or not, Kevin Spacey's career is probably screwed, even if it is proved all the allegations are false.

I hope that doesn't happen. I like his movies and his acting.

I've never understood the fascination about the personal lives of actors. Why does anybody care? As far as I'm concerned, all I really care about is whether I like their movies. For example, Jon Voight may be a Trump nut in his personal life, but that has no bearing on whether I like his movies. Why should I care or even be interested in his political stance? Same with John Wayne. I never liked his politics, but I loved most of his movies.
fountainhall

Re: Sexual Assault Case against Kevin Spacey Dropped

Post by fountainhall »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:35 amCharges dropped or not, Kevin Spacey's career is probably screwed, even if it is proved all the allegations are false.
I know a Production Manager in Spacey's business. All I can say is it's unlikely there will not be more charges with a greater body of evidence.

As for an actor's private life, it's a fact that even a smallish transgression can all but kill careers. Remember Winona Ryder and her conviction for $5,000 of shoplifting? She was a star. It fell to earth with a big bang. How about Wesley Snipes who failed to pay a vast amount of taxes and spent a year in jail. No movie company will touch him now. And Pee-wee Herman who was a big star in the 1980s until an indiscretion in 1991. As the now-old joke went: What connects Pee-wee Herman and the man who killed Abraham Lincoln? They both shot the man in front of them :o The career of any celebrity caught masturbating in a movie-theatre will be lucky to avoid an early death. It took 25 years before Herman was rehabilitated. The list is long, starting perhaps with Fatty Arbuckle.

Oddly, if you are straight and are caught with your pants down having consensual sex, the "public" is more forgiving, particularly if you then grovel on all the TV chat shows. Hugh Grant's career should have died after being caught having some hanky-panky with a hooker in a cab. Instead after a period of "reflection he came back stronger than ever. Go figure!