US Tourist Visa

traveller123

US Tourist Visa

Post by traveller123 »

I am a UK national resident in Thailand with my Thai partner.
We have a registered UK Civil Partnership (November 2011).
We plan to visit my daughter in California in January for a little over 2 weeks.
She is a naturalised American citizen, married with 2 children.
My partner has had 5 UK and 2 Schengen visas without problems.
I have read on the internet that it is more difficult to obtain US tourist visas than European visas.
Any advice from members on how to successfully apply for a tourist visa would be welcome.
Undaunted

Re: US Tourist Visa

Post by Undaunted »

traveller123 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:55 am Any advice from members on how to successfully apply for a tourist visa would be welcome.
Your partner needs to show that he has reason to return to Thailand......Owns property in his name/has real money in a Thai bank acct. letter from his employer stating he is on holiday and will return to work on such and such date.....even after doing all this you will need a fair bit of luck!
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Re: US Tourist Visa

Post by Gaybutton »

As for money, it will have to have been in his bank account for a substantial period of time, although I don't know precisely how long. That is to prevent a farang boyfriend from putting money in his account to make it look as if he has a lot of money.

He also needs more than merely a reason to return to Thailand. He needs what the embassy will consider to be a 'compelling' reason to return.

Sometimes Thais manage to get visas without all of that. The most important and best chance for him to get the visa - when he is interviewed, he absolutely must answer the questions fully and truthfully. You need to convince him not to try to lie, embellish, or fabricate anything. The interviewers do this all day, every day. They know all the tricks. If your boyfriend tries to lie, they'll know it and that will be the end of his chance for a visa.

Make sure he brings as much documentation as possible when he goes for the interview. I don't know if his UK and Schengen visas will matter to the embassy, but at least they show he does return to Thailand.

Also, the older he is, the better his chances.

He will be interviewed by a Thai who works for the embassy. You will not be permitted to be present during his interview.

Let us know what happens. I hope he gets the visa. But with Trump in office, who knows?