US tightening Visa Requirements

fountainhall

US tightening Visa Requirements

Post by fountainhall »

There is a report that an overseas orchestra has had to cancel a US tour because of a change in the visa rules. Apparently the US now demands that virtually all visitors disclose their entire social media profile, including usernames, before they can obtain a visa. And this information must go back for a minimum of five years. Additionally full details of travel history over that five year period must be included.
Visa seekers will be asked to provide details about U.S.-based social media services like Facebook, Google+, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter and YouTube. In addition, they will be asked to provide details about involvement in major international internet services like China's Douban, Tencent QQ and Sina Weibo.
https://learningenglish.voanews.com/a/u ... 43880.html
thewayhelooks

Re: US tightening Visa Requirements

Post by thewayhelooks »

Another reason not to go there on holiday. I couldn't be bothered with the paperwork.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

The Trump administration keeps coming up with the most absurd bullshit - about virtually everything. I can't even imagine how many years it will take to repair the damage Trump has done, if it can ever be repaired at all.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

thewayhelooks wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:54 am Another reason not to go there on holiday. I couldn't be bothered with the paperwork.
Not so easy for those who must travel on business, though.
traveller123

Post by traveller123 »

Wish us luck, we have an interview at the Embassy for my partners tourist visa on September 6th
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

traveller123 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:54 pm Wish us luck
I do wish you luck. Hopefully you won't need luck. Remember, the most important thing is for him to be honest. Honesty is no guarantee he will get the visa, but dishonesty is a guarantee he won't get it.

If they do reject his visa application, I would be curious to know the reason.
werner99

Post by werner99 »

fountainhall wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:16 am Apparently the US now demands that virtually all visitors disclose their entire social media profile, including usernames, before they can obtain a visa. And this information must go back for a minimum of five years. Additionally full details of travel history over that five year period must be included.
I wonder whether this policy would be applied to visitors to the U.S. from the approximately 35 countries that have "visa exemption" agreements with the U.S., such as my country Switzerland. Probably not?

And would visitors have to report their social media profiles and usernames on Gaybutton??

This would be such an idiotic policy, which is typical of much of what the U.S. does. And the policy would be totally unworkable.

How would the U.S. authorities possibly have enough staff to review all the social media information of the millions of visitors to the U.S. each year, especially since much of the data would be in non-English languages. Perhaps the authorities conceive of using Artificial Intelligence technology to review the social media data??
werner99

Post by werner99 »

traveller123 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:54 pm Wish us luck, we have an interview at the Embassy for my partners tourist visa on September 6th
Good luck!

And please report to this forum what happens. This would be of great interest to many forum members and their boy friends/lovers/partners/companions.
traveller123

Post by traveller123 »

There are three things which may help us:

I am a UK National, so hopefully there would not be a suspicion, which might arise if I was a US National, that we were planning to stay in the US

We are in a UK Civil Partnership which dates back to July 2011.

My partner has had 4 UK visas and 2 Schengen visas without overstaying or any problems

.....But who knows?
werner99

Post by werner99 »

traveller123 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:17 pm There are three things which may help us:

.....But who knows?
What happened? Did your partner get his American visa?