DO YOU LIKE FORUM POLLING?

Undaunted

DO YOU LIKE FORUM POLLING?

Post by Undaunted »

I read the poll Dearly Departed and however morbid the subject I found some responses quite interesting. Now there is a Money fantasy poll going on, and now the What is your preference poll has ended and the results are in.
I like all the polls. What do you think?
Gaybutton

Re: DO YOU LIKE FORUM POLLING?

Post by Gaybutton »

I prefer that polls serve a valid purpose. To me that is the only real reason to have them. When it gets to a point that people are posting too many frivolous polls, it gets to be tedious instead of fun and no purpose is served. Not long ago we conducted a poll about the noise level in bars. The end result was at least one bar owner turning down the music volume. That poll served a purpose.

Quite frankly, polls about what you prefer when you die, who likes fem or masculine boys, what you would do with your money, whether UFOs exist, and so on - those kinds of polls serve no practical purpose and if there are too many, I think people are going to get sick and tired of them if they haven't already. I can't speak for anyone other than myself, but I'm getting tired of looking at them.
Bangkok_Ron

Post by Bangkok_Ron »

If there are going to be polls that are stuck at the top of the page I would like to see them limited to only one at a time and to stay there for a maximum of 2 days.

As for other sticky posts - some seem to have been there for days on end - a maximum of 2 days only please.

Just my opinion ....
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Bangkok_Ron wrote: As for other sticky posts - some seem to have been there for days on end - a maximum of 2 days only please.
I think you're right. Except for the charity fundraisers, which are dated, I've removed the 'stickies' for the others. Once the fundraiser dates pass, I'll remove those as well.
lonelywombat

Post by lonelywombat »

Agree with gaybutton comments, many of the polls have been childish and boring.

Agree with bangkok_ron about the number of stickies. Thanks GB for acting on this.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

I disagree with GB. The polls offer a quick and easy way for users to reveal a little about themselves and humanizing other posters serves a useful purpose and allows me to put the more "on topic" inputs in perspective. I don't see the point of the complaint. If you don't like a particular poll, simply don't participate in it and don't return to that topic. However, if it is a petty annoyance to enough members here, perhaps establishing a separate section for them might be a solution.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Generally I don't. But I have no problem with them.
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

I don't think I'll be doing any more polls. This thread leaves me with the impression that they are unwanted, unless they serve a real, practical purpose. However, no one really knows what's going to end up practical. If they do know, mebbe they should be doing the polls. RichLB has a good point. Besides, a poll allows a user to identify his preferences without revealing too much personal info that he would have had he written a post.

I certainly don't want to be a bore or waste anyone's time. So if polls are not what they should be and nobody's wants to set the example, I certainly wouldn't want to press anyone's patience by doing more of them. So be it. No more polls from me. :(
Jun

Post by Jun »

Does it matter if people don't like polling?

Every poll is clearly identified as such at the top, so those who don't like them can give them a miss.

It's a bit like a 7-Eleven shop selling something you don't like -you just leave it on the shelf & go for something else.
christianpfc

Post by christianpfc »

Yes, I like forum polling. If there is a poll I don't like (or I can't be bothered to read all the options and explanations) I just don't vote.