Leonard Bernstein’s Secret 10-Year Japanese Gay Relationship

fountainhall

Leonard Bernstein’s Secret 10-Year Japanese Gay Relationship

Post by fountainhall »

With Stephen Spielberg now in the process of directing a new movie based on one of the greatest musicals of all time, West Side Story, its composer Leonard Bernstein, never long out of the spotlight, is back in the news. During his life rumours abounded that Bernstein – married with two children – was basically gay. Several of his assistants at his various orchestras eventually came out as gay. As one of the world’s most in-demand orchestra conductors, Bernstein was a regular visitor to Japan, towards the end of his life founding a new Music Festival there. During those visits, he had been a regular patron at some of its gay bars,

After his death, his family and estate tried their best to protect his reputation as a family man. When it eventually became obvious that this effort was doomed, Lenny’s ‘secret’ was finally revealed as fact. Particularly revealing is The Bernstein Letters, a book of letters published a few years ago mostly between Bernstein and his wife. Early in their relationship, she writes to him, “You are homosexual and you may never change.” She added. “I happen to love you very much.”

Many of his close collaborators knew he was gay. According to Arthur Laurents, himself gay, who wrote the book for West Side Story, one of the great tragic love stories of musical theatre, Bernstein was
“a gay man who got married. He wasn’t conflicted about it at all. He was just gay.”
After their children had grown up, he moved from his luxurious New York apartment to live with a younger man in San Francisco for nine months. Then he learned of his wife’s cancer. For a while, he remained with his lover. Finally he flew back to New York and spent the rest of her brief life caring for her. She died aged 56. The gay man that was Bernstein grieved and was hugely upset. But he was from that point on free to live life as a gay man, albeit in the closet and unknown to most people. He was to live for another dozen years.

Now another series of letters has just emerged, this time from a Japanese man he met in Tokyo and with whom he enjoyed a ten-year tender, passionate and ultimately heartbreaking affair. The young 26-year old Japanese salaryman who worked for a Tokyo Insurance company attended one of Bernstein’s Tokyo concerts with the New York Philharmonic Orchestra. He went backstage to thank the conductor for such a wonderful concert.
“I noticed that he was gazing upon me,” Kunihiko Hashimoto, now 66, said. “It is hard to explain about his eyes. It was not to try to talk to me nor seduce me, just he was looking at me. It was irresistible.”
Bernstein and the orchestra left Tokyo later the next day. When he left Hashimoto was devastated. He wrote to the maestro:
“After you left Japan, my mind became vacant, because the one night and afternoon that we had were like a beautiful dream.”
Bernstein spent all his time with Hashimoto on his many future visits to Japan. But the relationship went far beyond sexual intimacy. Soon Hashimoto was asked to become his Japanese manager. It was Hashimoto who suggested that he organize special Peace Concerts in Hiroshima in 1985 to mark the 40th anniversary of the atomic bomb on the city. On two occasions Bernstein arranged for him to join him in Europe so they could spend time together.

One of Hashimoto’s letters refers to a discussion they had about the possibility of their living together.
“I never forget that you asked me where we should live. Your question was where ‘we’ should live, wasn’t it? I would like to live with you . . . I was born to meet you and to be with you.”
In Bernstein’s own memoirs, Hashimoto’s name appears just once and he is referred to as a businessman. Their affair remained a total secret until a writer and researchers discovered 350 letters in the Library of Congress which detailed the relationship. Hashimoto’s letters cover about 11 years until the summer of 1990 only a few months prior to the conductor’s death aged 72. When the writer eventually tracked him down, Hashimoto was shocked. He had no idea their correspondence was available for public viewing.

Now he has agreed to the affair being the subject of a new book. Dearest Lenny: Letters from Japan and the Making of a World Maestro by Mari Yoshihara will be published on 2 September in the USA and 28 November in the UK by Oxford University Press.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/ ... -hashimoto
Undaunted

Re: Leonard Bernstein’s Secret 10-Year Japanese Gay Relationship

Post by Undaunted »

Bernstein was a complex genius, one of his greatest accomplishments was “West Side Story”, if you would like to see a wonderful documentary about this watch: whatever his sexuality it has nothing to do with his genius!

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

That is a wonderful documentary. I have it in my DVD collection and have viewed it many times. It's interesting how Jose Carreras has a lot of difficulty with one of the numbers and Bernstein comes close to losing his temper.

Regarding the upcoming Spielberg movie of West Side Story, there is a lot of concern that he is likely to ruin it! The original Broadway show had a pit orchestra of about 30 musicians. The documentary conducted by Bernstein seems to have roughly the same number. From the clips I hear of the original movie the orchestrations again remain quite sparse. But Spielberg is having the whole score rewritten for a large orchestra, no doubt to give audiences a full surround sound experience. I agree that Jerome Robbins choreography may appear a little dated now, but what will the new choreographer do? And will Spielberg change the Puerto Rican gang for some other group of immigrants to fit modern times?

I admire most of Spielberg's work immensely. But his one 'adaptation' of a much loved story Peter Pan which he renamed Hook was a total disaster. Rita Moreno who won an Oscar for her portrayal of Anita in the 1957 movie had previously said she was a "nervous" about Spielberg's remake. Yet she will now appear in it as a new character Valentina and is pumping money into it as an Executive Producer.

Full orchestra? New character? What is wrong with the original?
werner99

Post by werner99 »

fountainhall wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:32 pm That is a wonderful documentary. I have it in my DVD collection and have viewed it many times. It's interesting how Jose Carreras has a lot of difficulty with one of the numbers and Bernstein comes close to losing his temper.

As I remember the documentary, Bernstein got angry NOT at Carreras, but at someone who had tried to correct Carreras' pronunciation. But perhaps I am wrong.

In any case, it is a wonderful documentary.

"West Side Story" has beautiful music; it should be sung by the greatest opera singers.
werner99

Post by werner99 »

fountainhall wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:24 pm Leonard Bernstein, never long out of the spotlight, is back in the news. During his life rumours abounded that Bernstein – married with two children – was basically gay.
I think that everyone in the music world knew that Bernstein was gay and that he had lovers/boy friends of many nationalities. More power to him!

The opera world and the classical music world have many gay people.
werner99

Post by werner99 »

Shouldn't this discussion be in "Gay World" rather than "Everything Else"?
Gaybutton, shouldn't it be moved?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

werner99 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:33 pm Shouldn't this discussion be in "Gay World" rather than "Everything Else"?
Gaybutton, shouldn't it be moved?
Why does that matter to you?
werner99

Post by werner99 »

You are right . The discussion is about Bernstein, NOT "Gay World".

I am sorry for providing unsolicited advice.

You are doing a great job running this forum. I appreciate your work!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

werner99 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:54 pm I found the discussion very interesting, but it seems to be more related to "Gay World".
The answer is no. The topic is about Leonard Bernstein, not about gay goings-on in the world other than Thailand.

Believe me, when I need help deciding where topics belong, I'll ask for it.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

werner99 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:27 pm As I remember the documentary, Bernstein got angry NOT at Carreras, but at someone who had tried to correct Carreras' pronunciation. But perhaps I am wrong.
Bernstein himself was not happy with his singing of "Maria". See this clip from 1'40" (sorry I cannot find with English subtitles - not that they are necessary). It is obvious that there are other issues making him angry including notes not being included in a clarinet part. There is another section in "Something's Coming" where Bernstein gets annoyed and has to correct Carerras' diction and is pissed off that the producer also weighs in!