Signs You Are Having a Stroke

Undaunted

Signs You Are Having a Stroke

Post by Undaunted »

A good friend in Pattaya has just had a second stroke but did not know it!

https://www.pattayaone.news/please-read ... -a-stroke/
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
2lz2p

Re: Signs You Are Having a Stroke

Post by 2lz2p »

Thanks for the post. From personal experience, strokes need to be recognized and medical treatment obtained promptly.

Another acronym you can use for identifying symptoms of a stroke is F. A. S. T.
“F” for face (is it drooping?);
“A” for arm (is it weak?);
“S” for speech (is it slurred?);
“T” which is not a symptom, but a reminder that time is of the essence in getting treatment.

Although the F A S T acronym helps in remembering the most common symptoms, the following are also symptoms if there is a “sudden” onset: Numbness or weakness in the leg; Confusion or trouble understanding; Trouble seeing in one or both eyes; Trouble walking, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination; and Severe headache with no known cause. If one or more of these symptoms are present, medical attention should be sought right away.

My personal experience was about 5 years ago - my symptoms included "F" (drooping left corner of mouth), "A" (could not raise left arm), "S" (slight, but slurred).

I was home alone, but recognized the problem and called bf who was visiting friends nearby and was home within 5 minutes. He called 1719 for ambulance from Bangkok Hospital Pattaya (BHP) and I was in emergency room within 50 minutes of the stroke, which was quickly confirmed by a CT scan (necessary to determine if a blood clot or bleeding in brain caused the stroke). It showed a clot on the right side of the brain (controls the left side of body).

BHP doctors administered two doses (injections) of a clot busting drug (US$1,500 per dose). This medicine needs to be administered within 3 hours of the stroke, the sooner the better to reduce the damage that can be done by loss of blood to the brain.

I spent one night in ICU and in a regular room afterward. While in ICU, not long after the injections, I had regained use of my arm, no drooping mouth, and no slurred speech. However, the lasting effects were numbness in left little and ring finger (still have some feeling) and in left side of mouth (small area of lip).