Big Kahuna

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
Gaybutton

Re: Big Kahuna

Post by Gaybutton »

Ruthrieston wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:53 am
As far as I can tell they still open during the day, but are closed before 5pm.
Maybe so. I passed by about 4:30pm

Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

I was a big fan of Pastrami on Rye at it's original location off Jomtien Beach road. Not more than a hole in the wall and run by a knowledgeable old fella and his sons. They then moved to a larger and a more central location. The father turned the business over to his sons and retired from the business. At first most everything was the same at the new location but then the sons gradually began cutting corners and the product lost quality. Business fell off.

Then it was sold to new owners who added their own touches and not for the better in my opinion. Pastrami on Rye became the Big Kahuna. They never seem to have a lot of customers.

Of course, tastes are subjective. I don't like it but I know this American that loves the Big Kahuna so much he eats there 3 to 4 times a week. I've asked him haven't you noticed you're the only customer eating there and he answered yes and that's fine I get good fast service.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Trongpai wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:22 pm
I was a big fan of Pastrami on Rye at it's original location off Jomtien Beach road.
My opinion is exactly the same as yours. I agree with every word you wrote.

Yes, it was excellent when the old man was running the show. Once he was out of the picture, that's when it steadily went downhill. And on their Thappraya road location, that bar next door with the extremely loud music didn't help matters. Even when it was still good we stopped eating there very often because of that music volume.

To this day I still can't understand why so many venues and bars play the music that loud, but they do.

If they are open only morning and afternoon, and have that huge "Business for Sale" sign plastered in front, I think those of you who like the place better get there. I doubt it's going to last much longer. And if anyone does buy the business, there is no way to know if they will be serving the same kind of food or if it will even be a restaurant at all. Enjoy it while you still can.

Ruthrieston

Post by Ruthrieston »

Looks like Big Kahuna has now closed completely.