Grab Food - Order & Delivery - Great experience

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
2lz2p

Grab Food - Order & Delivery - Great experience

Post by 2lz2p »

Last evening, I decided to order delivery from Masala Twist, my favorite Indian restaurant. I called them as usual, but they no longer deliver and have joined Grab Food for such orders. I did have the Grab app on my iPhone, but had until now never used it (learning about it from a message posted to my thread on Nok's Vietnamese Restaurant noting that although I had the Grab app, I had never activated it until I saw the message).

So, last night gave me the opportunity to give it a try. I was pleasantly surprised at the ease of placing my order and knowing its status at all times.
I had my food delivered within 35 minutes for a delivery fee of 19 baht (Masala had charged 50 baht if order was 800 baht or less and free if over).

Although not everyone may be into wanting delivery, for those that do so, I highly recommend Grab Food if you haven't used it. As noted in my Nok's posting, there are numerous restaurants using Grab including many that I have previously ordered using Food Panda (70 baht delivery plus 10% service charge - although now, many of the restaurants listed by Food Panda are showing free delivery - probably because of the Grab food competition).

So, here is my experience using Grab food for the first time (you will need the Grab app on your phone - I believe they have an app for both IOS and Android phones. When activating, you will need to include requested info so Grab can use your phone number with GPS tracking to identify your location.
  • Opened Grab app and selected "food" from choices (they also offer taxi service, package delivery service, etc.).
  • Information on various restaurants/cuisines/etc. will appear -- or you can use the search bar.
  • I typed in Masala Twist and up came their menu for selection of items (which, by the way, included dishes that were not on my home delivery paper menu) and I noted the prices shown were the same as in the restaurant menu.
  • I selected items I wanted from menu, including quantity (e.g., 3x for 3 pieces of Roti bread) and added them to the cart - which if I recall correctly , gives you a running total for cost at the bottom of the screen as you add each item.
  • I then selected "place order" - it automatically added 19 baht as delivery charge (amount will depend on your location in relation to that of the restaurant you are ordering from).
  • As I recall, I then confirmed placing the order
  • A screen popped up to confirm or provide more detail on delivery address - also option to save the info - as I recall the screen also showed a map location for my house in the housing estate
  • Almost immediately, a message was added that the driver was on the way to restaurant which included name of driver, type of MC & MC license#, and button for sending message or calling the driver if you want
  • After only a few minutes, a message popped up that driver was at the restaurant ordering the food
  • Within 30 minutes, another message stating driver was on the way with food
  • Rec'd message from driver asking to confirm house number and then another message a short time later that driver was arriving
  • I paid the driver and gave him a bit extra as a tip - it is my understanding the driver orders the food and pays the restaurant for it, getting reimbursed plus his/her delivery fee when you pay them
  • Rec'd an email message from Grab with "invoice" showing items ordered and amount
  • Shared the hot meal with bf who likes Indian food very much, especially that prepared by Masala Twist
So, a very pleasant experience using Grab Food for the first time - process IMO much better and more informative then other delivery sites and a BIG plus is the number of restaurants available (some of listings are all in Thai and has even some street food establishments) and low delivery charge. If you do like to have delivery on occasion, I recommend you give it a try.
windwalker

Re: Grab Food - Order & Delivery - Great experience

Post by windwalker »

I do know a Grab Food driver and they are most appreciative of receiving a tip for their service. :)
gera

Post by gera »

2lz2p wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:47 am
So, a very pleasant experience using Grab Food for the first time - process IMO much better and more informative then other delivery sites and a BIG plus is the number of restaurants available (some of listings are all in Thai and has even some street food establishments) and low delivery charge. If you do like to have delivery on occasion, I recommend you give it a try.
I am not in Pattaya now but my bf systematically uses Grab food delivery. In particular, he is telling me that he orders from Nok Vietnamese restaurant using this app. Frankly, I never used this app because bf always orders taxi and food for me when I am in Pattaya.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

I checked Grab menu for Vietnamese cuisine and Nok's did not appear to be listed -- Nok's is open 24 hours, but the Grab listing at 8am on Sunday showed all selections (all Thai writing) were closed except one - it was identified as Saab and showed menu items in both English & Thai. Their selections looked good and there were many more than available at Nok's - the delivery charge for them was 29 baht (which I think may be Grab's maximum). I sent a Line message to Nok (her Line address is on her card) yesterday afternoon asking if they were on Grab and how to identify (in case they are listed under a different category). So far, no response.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

2lz2p wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:39 am So far, no response.
If you get one, please post the LINE address.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

2lz2p wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:39 am I checked Grab menu for Vietnamese cuisine and Nok's did not appear to be listed -- Nok's is open 24 hours, but the Grab listing at 8am on Sunday showed all selections (all Thai writing) were closed except one - it was identified as Saab and showed menu items in both English & Thai. Their selections looked good and there were many more than available at Nok's - the delivery charge for them was 29 baht (which I think may be Grab's maximum). I sent a Line message to Nok (her Line address is on her card) yesterday afternoon asking if they were on Grab and how to identify (in case they are listed under a different category). So far, no response.
No answer to my line message, BUT - as I posted on Nok's Vietnamese restaurant thread, it turns out the Saab Der... Vietnamese restaurant shown is hers. When I placed my order, a map was displayed showing the restaurant location being Pattaya Tai & Soi 12 (Nok's location). As with my initial order using Grab food, the driver acknowledged the order within seconds and within a minute was at the restaurant to pick up the order. Delivery fee from their to my house in a housing estate on Jomtien Soi 12 - next to Atlantis Condominiums - is 29 baht - of course I will add a nice tip. Just now rec'd message that my food is on the way.

Also, I joined friends at Masala Twist for lunch yesterday. In talking with Sonny (the owner), he mentioned that the restaurants using Grab Food, pay them 20% of the check bin for the food ordered.
gera

Post by gera »

You left us in suspense. My bf told me that the order comes from Nok restaurant and his arguments are similar to yours: the location of the restaurant from which the food is delivered coincides with Nok's location. However, he characterized the food as nothing special which raises the doubt about where the food comes from. So what is your impression about delivered food? Is it en par with what you had in restaurant?
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

Ok, I give up. I've gone to the web site and for the life of me I can't figure out how to register and browse the available restaurants. Do you have to do it by phone? Can you sign up via a web browser? Help.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

gera wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:04 am You left us in suspense. My bf told me that the order comes from Nok restaurant and his arguments are similar to yours: the location of the restaurant from which the food is delivered coincides with Nok's location. However, he characterized the food as nothing special which raises the doubt about where the food comes from. So what is your impression about delivered food? Is it en par with what you had in restaurant?
The food was the same - they also have a large selection of Thai dishes. Considering the limited number of restaurants offering Vietnamese food, it is good, but not extraordinary. I ordered 2 dishes we had at Nok's restaurant (fried spring rolls & Bun - a noodle salad with pork) and beef Pho, which I didn't order when at the restaurant because they didn't have, for me, an essential condiment, Hoisen Sauce. Last night, I had the spring rolls and noodle salad, which was enough and the same as we had at Nok's. I will give the Pho I received a try for lunch today.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

RichLB wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:51 am Ok, I give up. I've gone to the web site and for the life of me I can't figure out how to register and browse the available restaurants. Do you have to do it by phone? Can you sign up via a web browser? Help.
Rich,

You need to go to the app store (should be an app on your iPhone for App Store or something similar if you are using an Android phone). Use the search bar for "Grab." Download the app to your phone. Once it is downloaded, click on it and there will be some steps to activate it (as I recall one of the items is allowing access to your phone's GPS, essential to use Grab service). Once the initial steps are completed, activating the Grab App, you should get a screen with a choice of the services offered, e.g., taxi, package delivery, food, etc.

Click on the Food selection and the next screen should show a list of restaurants - there is a search bar at top to use for type of cuisine or name of restaurant - easiest if you know what you are looking for. I think there is also a list of cuisine/type of food, but it is not all inclusive, e.g., Vietnamese is not listed, but can be typed into the search bar. Otherwise, just browse through the restaurant listing, but it is a very long list. Some are only in Thai script whereas others use the roman alphabet.