A Night in Paris!

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
Keyvan

A Night in Paris!

Post by Keyvan »

Le Bouchon!

What can you say about this icon that has not been said before?

Not much more than a hole in the wall off the narrow footpath that takes you through the seedy Patpong Soi II. With two miniature tables outside the front window on that footpath for those who want a cigar and cognac with their after-dinner coffee. The view through the front window is mostly of a selection of cheap scanty female clothing being perused, and even being tried on, by an assortment of strippers, hookers and transvestites. Le Bouchon may have the feel of a Parisien Bistro but not even in the back streets between the Gare du Nord and Montmatre is there a scene quite like this!

If you think the restaurant is small wait till you try to squeeze into the toilet, and as for the kitchen how do three people work in there? Must be good friends!

I am sorry, the food is not great, but I love this place.

There are a couple of safe bets on the menu; the Lobster Bisque en croute is great for a hungry starter, being as it is covered with pastry and even a lump or two of lobster meat in the rich broth, the Ravioli stuffed with foie gras better than most, always popular with my friends are the Duck a l'orange and Lamb in rosemary, though they were better when they used to be accompanied by the old style potatoes, gratin dauphinois, but no more.

Steaks are a no-no and the Duck Confit depends on how well owner Serge prepared it at home the previous night? All the reviews seem to rave about the Lamb Shanks with white beans but I am not impressed with them, had much better elsewhere.

Do not even think of going there for dinner without making a booking previously, it is almost always full! Which means about 22 people, but the tables are constantly being re-used! Tel. 02-234-9109

An amazing place, it even made the New York Times! The service is brusque [except from the charming host Serge] but sadly you get used to that in Thailand. I think their return rate must be very high as every time I mention Le Bouchon to anyone with any knowledge of Bangkok they immediately smile, recalling fond memories of a pleasant evening past.

What more could you want in a night out?