What type of potatoes are available in LOS

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
lonelywombat

What type of potatoes are available in LOS

Post by lonelywombat »

In a discussion about roast dinners in Thailand , I had mentioned that the potatoes were not roasted but fried. that in itself is an argument. However the statement was made the potatoes in Thailand are not suitable for roasting.

I had a restaurant for 8 years, we used to buy 5 basic types of potatoes as the chef wanted from time to time.

I have two questions

1 What are the potato types available to buy ?

2 Which is the best for roasting?
lvdkeyes

Re: What type of potatoes are available in LOS

Post by lvdkeyes »

I am not sure what the name of the potatoes is, but they are similar to Yukon Gold which are a great all purpose potato.
TheCornerBar

Post by TheCornerBar »

The potatoes here are very sweet and moist. The make excellent baked potatoes, but terrible French fries. The water and sugar content does not allow them to stay crispy after frying. I tried par boiling them, twice frying them, high temp and low temp. Nothing worked. Idaho potatoes are also available at Villa, but are VERY expensive. I only use frozen potatoes for fries now.
lonelywombat

Post by lonelywombat »

When I rang Monty for his 65th birthday today, I asked him how he did his potatoes with his Xmas dinners and roasts.
His choice of potato was dutch which in Perth is known as jap. He had to boil them as Corner Bar says above and baked them in the oven.

He described a well known restaurant in Jomtien who cooks his potatoes, pumpkin and carrots for his roasts in a wok using oil. But says unless you change the oil every day it is pretty terrible. Sounds terrible already.

Now which greengrocer can you buy dutch potatoes from?
globalwanderer

Post by globalwanderer »

In Udon at the moment you can't get any potatoes. All the supermarkets used to carry them. Last week, a potato famine. But as has been said, they are no good for frying