wine, wine clubs,in bars and dining

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
lonelywombat

wine, wine clubs,in bars and dining

Post by lonelywombat »

I prefer good wine to drinking beer or spirits. Whenever I am in Pattaya I usually hear about wine clubs and wine tasting like last night at the Royal Cliff. As most of my trips are impulse or on the way to or home from Europe, I never seem to be in Pattaya at the right time, or with sufficient notice. Did anyone attend the de Vine dinner last night at the Royal Cliff? I have seen the photos, it looked a grand affair and I will have details of the wine soon I hope.

I am told this is only one of a number of wine clubs operating in Pattaya. Id like to get a list and try and arrange my trips so I can attend at least one in future.

My biggest gripe is that most of the people I dine out with in Pattaya are teetotal, beer or spirits drinkers or opposed to paying for a good glass of wine. Richard at Street Life has a good middle of the range selection by the glass but most restaurant are buy a bottle or drink the cheap shit. Id be interested in hearing of any restaurants that offer good wine by the glass.

Here in Australia restaurants are offered a pouring discount by wholesalers to encourage selling wines by the glass. Despite the heavy duties here wine is no where near as expensive as it is in Thailand. So much for the free trade agreement between our two countries.

An unsual exception is La Cage wine and cheese tasting nights. Whilst the wines are pleasant and better than most, the fact they are often served in 300g glasses rather than the standard 150g can lead to a disaster if you dont keep score.
Maybe I am confusing the size of the glasses with his happy hours on fish and chips night.

My preference is New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc.
fountainhall

Re: wine, wine clubs,in bars and dining

Post by fountainhall »

I can't offer much information about Pattaya, but like you I do enjoy a good glass or two of wine. In Chiang Mai recently, I celebrated a friend's birthday at the very good restaurant in The Chedi. I took along a bottle of Chateau Clos du Marquis, the second wine of Leoville Las Cases, and a precious half bottle of d'Yquem, both of which I have been storing for some years. I expected to pay around Bt. 800 in corkage for both bottles, but The Chedi charged nothing! I wonder how many other establishments will waive corkage? It you are dining, the cost of a decent bottle plus corkage would probably be a lot less than you'd pay for cheap plonk.

More and more restaurants in Bangkok are offering quite good wines by the glass. I discovered an excellent Montepulciano at Biscotti's in the Four Seasons at around Bt. 300 for a good-sized glass. I then asked the head waiter if the wine was available in Bangkok. It was - in a wine shop nearby on Wittayu. I then went and bought a dozen bottles at Bt. 720 each!
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

L.W. I had been a member of the Royal Cliff wine club before. There is no set schedule. Membership I believe was 2000 Bht....each dinner was approximately 2200 bht. I no longer belong, the dinners I believe differed in quality. So given the membership cost and the dinner cost you could go at your choice and time to many fine restaurants and enjoy some excellent wines.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Considering the onerous taxes and duties on imported wine, Thailand will never be the place for wine lovers unless one is wealthy.
lonelywombat

Post by lonelywombat »

Undaunted wrote:L.W. I had been a member of the Royal Cliff wine club before. There is no set schedule. Membership I believe was 2000 Bht....each dinner was approximately 2200 bht. I no longer belong, the dinners I believe differed in quality. So given the membership cost and the dinner cost you could go at your choice and time to many fine restaurants and enjoy some excellent wines.
The cost does not worry me. I enjoy good wine, the ambience and whether it be a wine and cheese or a full meal I am eager to join in.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Whenever I am in Pattaya I usually hear about wine clubs and wine tasting like last night at the Royal Cliff. As most of my trips are impulse or on the way to or home from Europe, I never seem to be in Pattaya at the right time, or with sufficient notice.(quote) Lonley Wombat

Yes it is a full meal, but as you have said you travel on impulse and as there is short notice of the dinners at the R.C. Wine club I cannot imagine how it fits your needs!
lonelywombat

Post by lonelywombat »

lonelywombat wrote:Whenever I am in Pattaya I usually hear about wine clubs and wine tasting like last night at the Royal Cliff.
Undaunted wrote:Yes it is a full meal, but as you have said you travel on impulse and as there is short notice of the dinners at the R.C. Wine club I cannot imagine how it fits your needs!
We are spoilt in Australia by the abundance of top quality wines from here and New Zealand. It is rare to see wines from any other country in our restaurants and if so, never offered by the glass. Attending wine tasting functions in Pattaya gives me a chance to try wines from other places.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

lonelywombat wrote:
We are spoilt in Australia by the abundance of top quality wines from here and New Zealand. It is rare to see wines from any other country in our restaurants and if so, never offered by the glass. Attending wine tasting functions in Pattaya gives me a chance to try wines from other places.
I did not realize that Australia was that protective of it's wine industry. Are wines from other countries available in stores and markets?

In the US almost all wines worldwide are equally available and at competative prices with US wines.
same same

Post by same same »

windwalker wrote:Considering the onerous taxes and duties on imported wine, Thailand will never be the place for wine lovers unless one is wealthy.
Wine can be expensive to buy from your local shop, so have any of you thought about "home wine making" ?

My neighbour used to do this, he bought the kit cheaply and his wine tasted great!

Cheers
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

same same wrote: My neighbour used to do this, he bought the kit cheaply and his wine tasted great!
I've never noticed a home wine making kit for sale anywhere in Thailand. Lvdkyes?