wine, wine clubs,in bars and dining

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
windwalker

Re: wine, wine clubs,in bars and dining

Post by windwalker »

same same wrote:
windwalker wrote:Considering the onerous taxes and duties on imported wine, Thailand will never be the place for wine lovers unless one is wealthy.
Wine can be expensive to buy from your local shop, so have any of you thought about "home wine making" ?
My neighbour used to do this, he bought the kit cheaply and his wine tasted great!

Cheers
Who was your neighbor, Baron Philippe de Rothschild? :lol:

Good wine comes from good grapes and that is not likely in Thailand due to the climate. In other climates/countries it is possible to buy good grapes but the effort to make decent wine is quite a challenge. Where I lived one restaurant owner (Italian of course) was noted for his homemade burgundy, except his secret recipe was Ernest and Julius Gallo minus the label.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

I never looked for or have any interest in home wine making kits.
TheCornerBar

Post by TheCornerBar »

The Hilton has a nice selection of wines by the glass. They range in price from 300 to 1800b per glass.
lonelywombat

Post by lonelywombat »

windwalker wrote:
I did not realize that Australia was that protective of it's wine industry. Are wines from other countries available in stores and markets?

In the US almost all wines worldwide are equally available and at competative prices with US wines.
I have never found wine in the US inexpensive and the Australian wines on offer are mostly unknown to me.Having weaned off chardonay to sav blanc, I find Napa wines a bit full on for me. In Spain recently I found some excellent whites that I enjoyed immensely.

re Corner bar suggestion of 300 baht plus for wines at the Hilton.At home we get excellent wine by the glass for 300 baht.In LOS I am prepared to pay more occasionally. I dont come to LOS for fine dining but do enjoy good wine in preference to beer.
same same

Post by same same »

windwalker wrote:Who was your neighbor, Baron Philippe de Rothschild?
How the hell did you know that? It's a small world eh? :lol:

I don't go for the expensive wine, if you put a 500 BHT bottle of red next to a 5000 BHT bottle of red, I'd probably wouldn't taste the difference.........Probably due to the abuse of my tastes buds over the years, it all tastes the sane to me now!

Cheers
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

same same wrote:
I don't go for the expensive wine, if you put a 500 BHT bottle of red next to a 5000 BHT bottle of red, I'd probably wouldn't taste the difference.........Probably due to the abuse of my tastes buds over the years, it all tastes the sane to me now!
Cheers
Not so same same. There is an amazing difference between an inexpensive red and a fine red wine. Few of us have the chance to taste a great red wine because of the price and the lack of age on the wine.
lonelywombat

Post by lonelywombat »

I have been asked which wines at Street Life I would recommend. He gave this link to Richards wine list

http://www.streetlife-pattaya.com/wines.htm

Each time I am there I mention I would like to Richard to choose something for me, and last visit it was not one of the wines listed by the glass. A very nice white from Chile, I think. Price 290/300 baht and good value.
lonelywombat

Re: wine, wine clubs,dining and in bars

Post by lonelywombat »

I have a friend arriving at the end of April who is interested in any wine tastings, special wine club dinners [other than Mothers day] and an update on the wine situation at Street Life now Richard has moved on.

He said to thank Corner Bar for the recommendation of the Hilton. Also undaunted who raised the BYO and corkage, in another thread.

He asks where is the best place to buy good quality reds in Pattaya, and what is the range of prices.

Lastly La Cage usually has a wine tasting night very month or two. If there is one scheduled would someone kindly post the date.
Gaybutton

Re: wine, wine clubs,dining and in bars

Post by Gaybutton »

lonelywombat wrote:Lastly La Cage usually has a wine tasting night very month or two. If there is one scheduled would someone kindly post the date.
You can find all that information on the La Cage web site. Click on the link and then click on NEWS.

http://www.lacage-pattaya.com
paperboy

Post by paperboy »

hello everyone
only 7 weeks to go and i will be back in pattaya. As many here, im a fine wine drinker.
comming from Spain i love my wine, and on my last visit really really, i mean
really missed my wine.
So this time i want to bring some wine with me
What im I allowed into thailand with
i was thinking to bring 4 bottles in case and carry 2 with me
als my other half the same
I alos heard the carefoiur had a good selection of wines, and most resturants
would charge a little corckage.
What do you all think