wine, wine clubs,in bars and dining

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
windwalker

Re: wine, wine clubs,in bars and dining

Post by windwalker »

The limit is one liter per person. This is posted at the airport. I think you would be pushing it to bring 6 bottles. All the wine at restaurants and markets is of the worst quality unless you wish to pay over 1500 Baht/bottle or more at a restaurant. Corkage varies from zero to over 300 Baht/bottle.
lonelywombat

Post by lonelywombat »

Thanks GB for the link to La cage website . They certainly have a very busy month. Not sure if their Mont Clair house wine is what was being asked for, but looks like a fun night.

No wonder they always seem to be busy whenever I stagger by.

http://www.lacage-pattaya.com/
click on news.
Grimmy

Post by Grimmy »

My recommendation is skip La Cage unless you are just looking for another bar to have another overpriced glass of mediocre wine.

However, I attend the Amari Hotel's end-of-the-month Wine Experience quite regularly. For about 700 Baht, you get unlimited glasses of wine and very tasty finger foods. The event lasts for an hour and a half and is usually themed around the wine's location: Italian, French, South African, Chilean, etc. If you are a Pattaya City Expats member, you get a 15% discount.

This Wine Experience happens the last Friday of every month. Highly recommended.

:mrgreen: Grimmy
lonelywombat

Post by lonelywombat »

Grimmy wrote:My recommendation is skip La Cage unless you are just looking for another bar to have another overpriced glass of mediocre wine.
I usually go with my long term tenant who loves the 300ml glasses of very ordinary red, I think also at half price during happy hour. I think the buy one get one free still applies to the large glasses. I never pay ,instead I buy him dinner.
Last time I had 5 maybe 6 glasses and cant remember if we had dinner.

Grimmy wrote: However, I attend the Amari Hotel's end-of-the-month Wine Experience quite regularly. For about 700 Baht, you get unlimited glasses of wine and very tasty finger foods. The event lasts for an hour and a half and is usually themed around the wine's location: Italian, French, South African, Chilean, etc. If you are a Pattaya City Expats member, you get a 15% discount.

This Wine Experience happens the last Friday of every month. Highly recommended.
I just rang him about the Amari he was most impressed. Thanks. That is what he was looking for,to start with.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Grimmy wrote:My recommendation is skip La Cage unless you are just looking for another bar to have another overpriced glass of mediocre wine.
What were you expecting for the price, Domaine Romanée-Conti?
Grimmy

Post by Grimmy »

lonelywombat wrote:I just rang him about the Amari he was most impressed. Thanks. That is what he was looking for,to start with.
You're welcome. I will post the information for this coming month when it gets sent to me. Usually happens midway through the month. One last comment... It is usually held in the garden of the Amari Hotel which is absolutely beautiful (and has a very quiet music duo singing in the background). However, during rainy times or if there is another activity booked in the garden, they move it into the Ice Bar. I suggest you stay away when this happens as it is very cramped in that small lobby bar and the experience is less impressive and less enjoyable.

Grimmy

Post by Grimmy »

Gaybutton wrote:
What were you expecting for the price, Domaine Romanée-Conti?
Well, that was sort of my point. It isn't really the place to go to enjoy fine wine tasting, which is why I think the "wine nights" there are a bit misleading. If you want another place to grope the boys and gulp the cheap, BIG bottle wine...then it is fine. However, for a real, decent wine tasting that won't break the bank, The Amari Wine Experience is your best bet. So touchy, Gaybutton.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Grimmy wrote:So touchy, Gaybutton.
Yes. When a post appears to be a put down of a gay venue I get like that. I'm funny that way . . .
Grimmy

Post by Grimmy »

Gaybutton wrote:
Grimmy wrote:So touchy, Gaybutton.
Yes. When a post appears to be a put down of a gay venue I get like that. I'm funny that way . . .
Just my humble opinion and observation. Or are those not allowed on here? I think it was well explained.

:roll: Grimmy
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Grimmy wrote:Just my humble opinion and observation. Or are those not allowed on here?
That depends on the way that humble opinion is expressed. La Cage does quite a successful job pleasing customers at very reasonable prices. "My recommendation is skip La Cage." That's some "humble" opinion, recommending that people not even go there. I suppose you couldn't have suggested trying the Amari without including a put-down of La Cage, could you?