wine, wine clubs,in bars and dining

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
Grimmy

Re: wine, wine clubs,in bars and dining

Post by Grimmy »

Gaybutton wrote:
Grimmy wrote:Just my humble opinion and observation. Or are those not allowed on here?
That depends on the way that humble opinion is expressed. La Cage does quite a successful job pleasing customers at very reasonable prices. "My recommendation is skip La Cage." That's some "humble" opinion, recommending that people not even go there. I suppose you couldn't have suggested trying the Amari without including a put-down of La Cage, could you?
Hmm... Let's try this again. The original poster wanted to know where to go for a quality wine experience. It is my opinion that La Cage does not offer this. They offer cheap wine at a host bar price ... which is fine if that is what you want. For me, it is not. Therefore, I will always skip the beer bars when looking for a proper wine experience.

:mrgreen: Grimmy
TheCornerBar

Post by TheCornerBar »

Grimmy is correct referring to "high quality" wine. Good wine is so expensive in Thailand, I would have to charge 400-500b per glass, and few are willing to pay that. What is offered by Mike's LaCage and myself is drinkable and contains alcohol, but could hardly be called "high quality" wine!
Grimmy

Post by Grimmy »

TheCornerBar wrote:Grimmy is correct referring to "high quality" wine. Good wine is so expensive in Thailand, I would have to charge 400-500b per glass, and few are willing to pay that. What is offered by Mike's LaCage and myself is drinkable and contains alcohol, but could hardly be called "high quality" wine!
That is exactly my point, Corner Bar. Thanks.

Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

I don't know if you have preference for reds or whites, but friendship has taken on some Aussie wines from a vintner named Aspen estate......I fancy their 2010 Cabernet/Merlot they have a nice Shiraz as well, now they have added a Chardonnay as well as Sauvignon Blanc.....I haven't tried the whites.....but they are all on special....and the price is right.
Grimmy

Post by Grimmy »

Undaunted wrote:I don't know if you have preference for reds or whites, but friendship has taken on some Aussie wines from a vintner named Aspen estate......I fancy their 2010 Cabernet/Merlot they have a nice Shiraz as well, now they have added a Chardonnay as well as Sauvignon Blanc.....I haven't tried the whites.....but they are all on special....and the price is right.
Good tips, thanks. I'll check out the Cab.

Grimmy

Post by Grimmy »

Gaybutton wrote:
Grimmy wrote:Just my humble opinion and observation. Or are those not allowed on here?
That depends on the way that humble opinion is expressed.
And for the record, Gaybutton...that is a really pathetic way of saying you don't allow certain opinions on this board. Considering what you allow other users to get away with saying (we all know who I am referring to)...I think my comments were fair and explained with first hand experience to support the contention. Furthermore, it was supported by another gay venue owner who understood the point I was making.

:evil: Grimmy
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Grimmy wrote:I think my comments were fair and explained with first hand experience to support the contention.
I might even agree with you - right after you go to La Cage and explain those fair comments of yours to Mike, face-to-face. Let me know when you're going. I'd like to be there when you get to the part about how it's a fair comment that you are recommending people ought to skip his bar.

You also ought to reread the rules, if you ever read them in the first place. Rule 2 begins with "I don't want to see any posts denouncing specific venues."
lonelywombat

Post by lonelywombat »

Grimmy wrote:
Gaybutton wrote:
That depends on the way that humble opinion is expressed. La Cage does quite a successful job pleasing customers at very reasonable prices. "My recommendation is skip La Cage." That's some "humble" opinion, recommending that people not even go there. I suppose you couldn't have suggested trying the Amari without including a put-down of La Cage, could you?
Hmm... Let's try this again. The original poster wanted to know where to go for a quality wine experience. It is my opinion that La Cage does not offer this. They offer cheap wine at a host bar price ... which is fine if that is what you want. For me, it is not. Therefore, I will always skip the beer bars when looking for a proper wine experience.
Grimmy
Grimmy wrote:
TheCornerBar wrote:Grimmy is correct referring to "high quality" wine. Good wine is so expensive in Thailand, I would have to charge 400-500b per glass, and few are willing to pay that. What is offered by Mike's LaCage and myself is drinkable and contains alcohol, but could hardly be called "high quality" wine!
That is exactly my point, Corner Bar. Thanks.

It is sad that GB has missed the point. I have spoken with Mike at la Cage re the problems of buying or being offered good wines by the glass at La Cage and some of the middle of the road restaurants. Mike and Corner bar understand what their clients are prepared to pay, and what would not sell. They will not offer what they are likely to lose money on.

But restaurants are a different matter. Bordeaux which charges slightly more than others argue there is no demand for good wine by the glass. I personally think that if they had one white and one red on offer by the glass they might be surprised. I owned a restaurant for 8 years and more than half our wine sales were by the glass. It is easy to upsell an extra glass rather than an extra bottle.

Undaunted's posts re corkage being available in certainly if you are all drinking the same wine.
let me tell u

Post by let me tell u »

lonelywombat wrote:Cannot understand why this survives in the pedo,where do you throw your used condom forum, when where you can get a decent glass of wine, gets booted.
THIS IS THE RIGHT PLACE FOR THIS THREAD.

I use to love good Fine Wine it was always good at The Royal Cliff Wine tasting when my good friend Andrew Woods was the General Manager, after that not only the Food but the whole atmosphere was not the same, when I owned my 4 star Hotel in the Uk we use to sell plenty of Fine wines, but as we could only get 5 glasses to the bottle even though the customers were rich with many MPs they still complained, we tried not to double up on the profit as most do, so we kept it as a class drink just to satisfy the snob drinkers.

Once you have tried the real Fine Wines of the World, there is No Turning back, I have had dinner at the DORCHESTER HOTEL LONDON, many times, when I was in the Property Development Business we use to Celebrate there when we had completed on a good deal 4 of us once paid 1600 pounds for Dinner and the wine Plus a 300 year old Brandy can you imagine, I never knew such a thing existed, it was like nectar, but it does at 68 pound a nip, we were drinking Doubles who says they would not know what to do if they won the lottery, I use to buy Investment wines and put them in Bondage, waiting for the price to go up after 3 years it was a recession we made little profit. So we brought it all out of Bond and drank it in No Time, talk about an Orgasms it was like an orgy with every mouth full.

Some of the best we bought was :-

Chateau Mouton Rothschild 1982
Screaming Eagle Cab 1992:
Chateau Pavie
Pinot Noir,
Ch. de Fonbel, Grand Cru, St. Emilion
Château Pétrus
Penfolds Grange
Masseto
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

let me tell u wrote:Plus a 300 year old Brandy can you imagine, I never knew such a thing existed, it was like nectar, but it does at 68 pound a nip
Can you provide the name of this Brandy/Cognac? I have heard of 100 year old but never 300.