Split Balkan Restaurant - GB's Latest Restaurant "Find"

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
Gaybutton

Split Balkan Restaurant - GB's Latest Restaurant "Find"

Post by Gaybutton »

Say what you like about Pattaya, but I've never been in a city in my life that has so many different kinds of ethnic restaurants to choose from.

Actually, credit goes to Jomtienbob for having discovered it. Often we greatly enjoy these little inexpensive hole-in-the-wall restaurants and Split turned out to be one of them. We weren't even sure what Balkan food actually is, but this little place is Serbian owned and his English menu is full of mistakes and a few hard to understand choices. That told us it's probably authentic. The owner is a very nice man and speaks English quite acceptably. Four of us gave it a try this evening.

If you're looking for ambiance, atmosphere, and fine dining, then Split isn't for you, but if you want to try some very good and different kinds of foods, give it a try. The location is on Soi Chaiyapreuk, very close to and on the same side of the road as The Purple Space Monkey, another restaurant that has become quite popular among those of us who can get there. It's a couple blocks closer to Sukhumvit than The Purple Space Monkey. Look for a small yellow sign at Soi 2.

He has three different soup choices - beef broth, cream of tomato, and goulash soup. There are several salad selections. The main courses come with a salad. We were expecting a very small salad, but it turned out to be a full size salad. Some of the selections include a Balkan hamburger steak. One of our group tried it and loved it. Other selections include several beef and pork dishes and a mixed grill type dish. Two of us had that one. It came with 2 grilled sausages, a skewered grilled pork item, a pork steak, and a beef steak. 220 baht for that and it was the most expensive choice on the menu. Most of the items range from about 140 baht up to the 220 baht mixed grill. It also included fries and Balkan style rice, which we all really liked.

There are also several Balkan style crepe selections. None of us tried any of those, but that's on my list for next time.

There is also a Thai food menu. No desserts.

Come hungry. The portions are huge.

All four of us really liked this little place and intend to go back. If you can get there, I think it's well worth giving Split a try. Split is closed on Sundays.
2lz2p

Re: Split Balkan Restaurant - GB's Latest Restaurant "Find"

Post by 2lz2p »

Thanks GB. I will have to give it a try as it only a short distance from where I live. Was it on the same side of the road as Space Monkey?

I agree, Pattaya certainly has its share of ethnic type restaurants - I just wish it had a Greek restaurant (a cuisine that I like).

Before I retired, my job required a bit of travel to several of the major cities in USA and often to Washington DC - DC and surrounding area also has a great many ethnic restaurants - many quite good (my guess is it is partly because of the numerous Embassies). I enjoyed experiencing the variety of cuisine.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

2lz2p wrote:Was it on the same side of the road as Space Monkey?
Yes, same side of the road.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

We tried Split tonight and found it to be exactly as GB described. Good food, large portions, low prices and well worth a try. I just wish they had some desserts, but, honestly, if I had dessert I would have been over stuffed. The complimentary icy cold small orange (?) vodka was a nice touch. We will definitely be returning.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

lvdkeyes wrote:We tried Split tonight and found it to be exactly as GB described.
I'm glad you liked it too. I love these unusual finds, especially when they turn out to be good.