Le Stroganoff 2

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
Gaybutton

Le Stroganoff 2

Post by Gaybutton »

This evening my group tried a restaurant we've been meaning to try, but never got around to it until now. Our only regret is that we waited this long. Le Stroganoff 2 is absolutely excellent! It definitely makes our "A-List" and we're going to be back many times. This is the first time we've enjoyed a restaurant so much that we're actually considering going again tomorrow.

Nicky's has a very good review:

There are three things that Pratumnak Hill is worth going up for. One is the Big Buddha on the top of the hill. I’ll take you for a tour of that another time. The second thing is the exercise park. It’s a good place to walk and get rid of some of those doughnut calories we all build up on holiday. The third thing is two good restaurants. (Actually there are several up here, including the Royal Cliff, and Cabbages and Condoms, but those aren’t on the TOP of the hill and these two are). Nawab is the subject of next week’s review, but this week we look at Le Stronganoff 2. In case you wondered, Le Stoganoff 1 is in Soi Yamato and has been there for some time.

At first glance it’s just another French restaurant offering a 4 course set meal at 290B. But the devil (as they say) is in the detail. And this 290B set menu has the detail. They have their à la carte menu, but it’s the set one I always have.

First they welcome you. Maybe I’m unlucky, but I have always found it hard to go to French Restaurants as I find them patronising and if you don’t speak French, they almost ignore you. “Citoyen de deuxième classe” (that’s 2nd class citizen if you didn’t understand it). But Le Stroganoff 2 is nice. It’s welcoming and the staff make you feel that you are wanted there – special. The way it should be.

Now on to the food. For a fixed menu, the food is unusual. The choice is huge. There are around 10 starters, 10 main courses and 10 desserts. The one downside this place has is the soup. I always find it disappointing. Almost like they have used packet soup. But let’s move swiftly on from there and get to the rest of the menu. In the past I’ve had a wonderful paté, delicious. I can also recommend the crab and smoked salmon salad. Does that sound like a standard 290B menu? Wait it gets better. For main courses, I like the duck in fruits of the forest sauce. It’s perfectly cooked, just a hint of pink on the duck and the sauce is the perfect combination of sweet and tangy. Their shrimp and clam in puff pastry with a mild curry sauce will get your taste buds doing a tango. (If you don’t like curry you’re SOL for the next 4 reviews – sorry). Their steak bavette is an enigma. They asked me how I wanted it cooked and I said rare. It did indeed come up rare. But so tender it almost melted in my mouth. How can a bavette, which should be slow cooked for hours (and must have been to get the tenderness) be rare?

The dessert was wonderful too and capped a really tasty meal. Crêpe Suzette is one choice, or how about a crème brûlée with strawberry sauce. The latter can only be described as “orgasmic”.All the food is cooked to perfection and really is wonderful. At 290B this is a deal not to be missed.

Points out of 10? I’d say a good 9 – one being lost for the soup. Will I go back? I’ve been there three times and certainly will go back again. Try it for yourself!

http://www.nickysgaypattaya.com/gay-pat ... oganoff-2/

I concur with everything the reviewer wrote except his assessment of the soup. All four of us greatly enjoyed ours and were not disappointed in the least. Based on the review we expected lousy soup, but the soup was just fine. The reviewer give this restaurant 9 out of 10 because of the soup. We give it 10 out of 10.

This restaurant is just incredibly good and well worth getting there. If you can't get to Pratumnak Hill, it may be easier for you to get to their other location on Soi Yamato, off Second Road near The Avenue (Villa Market) across from Subs-n-Suds.

It's very easy to find Le Stroganoff 2. Go up Pratumnak Hill to Soi 4. That's the soi where you would turn to go to Cabbages & Condoms. The restaurant is located on Pratumnak Hill, just before you get as far as Soi 4. You'll see a Family Mart on the corner. Le Stroganoff 2 is just before you get to the Family Mart, right next door.

Folks, all I can tell you is I can't imagine anyone going to this restaurant without greatly enjoying it. I'll bet once you try it the first time, you'll be back - many times. My group certainly will.

Lvdkeyes, if you try Le Stroganoff 2, I'll be very interested to know what you think of it.
lvdkeyes

Re: Le Stroganoff 2

Post by lvdkeyes »

It sounds like I should give it a try.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

In my opinion this restaurant is one of the best, if not the best, in Pattaya. I think it even outdoes Bruno's - and it is not the least bit pretentious. I can't wait to go back.
Jomtienbob

Post by Jomtienbob »

Certainly one of the best values in town. In addition to great and abundant food for 290 baht 4 course dinner; unlike many of the others, it has ambiance, air conditioning, and they know how to provide western service. By that I mean all get served the 4 course meals, one course at a time, with all being served the same course simultaneously.

5 star quality at 3 star price.

I will be a frequent diner at this establishment.

For 40 baht more I had their Fillet steak with a roquefort sauce. The meat was tender and prepared to taste.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

I think we will try this place tonight.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

My bf and I ate here tonight. We were both very pleased with the food and service. Food prices are very reasonable, but I think 50 baht for a bottle of water is a bit much. The only other thing I will say is the acoustics are not good. It was difficult to have a conversation because of the noise level. Both of these minor complaints are not enough to keep us from going back.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

We also ate there again tonight and enjoyed it as much as we did the first time. The first time we were there, we were the only customers. Tonight they were packed. You might want to consider calling for reservations. Since there are two locations, but apparently only one telephone number, make sure you let them know which location you want to reserve. Notice the front of the business card is for their Soi Yamato location, but the back of the card is for their Pratumnak Hill location.

richsilver

Post by richsilver »

I dined there last night with a friend and we both enjoyed it very much. That said, however, I did have a number of criticisms.

Firstly, the acoustics are terrible. The place was less than have full and it was very noisy. Quite annoying. Secondly, we were given no choice of potatoes with our main course even though I later heard the guy next to me order French fries. The au gratin potatoes we had were dry and not very good. We both ordered coffee with our dessert and it was Nescafe! Come on now, no decent restaurant serves Nescafe! I didn't drink it. Finally, while the set menu is a terrific bargain, the a la carte menu is a bit pricy in my opinion.

Now the good stuff. The vegetable soup was very good. The rolls were great. The starters were large and very tasty. Our main courses were quite good. The desserts were terrific. All in all, the set menu is a real bargain.

We will go back and put this place on our list of regular places, but to me it's no better than, say, Aquarius or Mignon or Cafe Ritz or Bordeaux or Cherry's. And certainly not in the same league as Alois or Mata Hari or Au Bon Coin.

If price is your main consideration, by all means, go; it's a real deal! If you're looking for a really nice, all-around dining experience at a reasonable (but not rock-bottom price), try Alois or News Cafe or Bordeaux or Au Bon Coin or Cherry's.