Why can't a business continue Operations at a High Level.

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
firecat69

Why can't a business continue Operations at a High Level.

Post by firecat69 »

When the new owners took over Corner Bar , i posted a few times saying how good the Cheeseburgers and Chicken Fingers were.

3 weeks ago at 8pm on a Thursday I ordered Chicken Fingers and was told , "sorry we only have hamburger". Can there be a reason at 8pm other then just not caring. Tonight I again ordered the Chicken Fingers and they were available after a wait of 20-=25 minutes. Again at 8pm with only 2 or 3 customers in the bar. The Chicken Fingers came and the batter would not even stick to the chicken, it just crumbled away. It was just like eating a chicken breast with no coating. Not what I ordered and certainly not what I got when they first opened.

What is so hard about providing the same level of food that was served when first opened. This happens over and over again in Thailand and I just don't get it.

Naturally I will not be ordering any food at Corner bar until I hear that they seem to care about what they serve like they did when they opened???
TheCornerBar

Re: Why can't a business continue Operations at a High Level

Post by TheCornerBar »

If you are the first to order food, the oil has to be heated to temperature. This usually takes 20-30 minutes. If the boys rush it, the batter falls off because the oil was not hot enough. In LOW season, there are many nights that no food is ordered at all, and the oil is too expensive to heat without an order. If ever you are not satisfied, let Thomas or me know, and we can make it right. Unfortunately, the staff gets lazy and we do not catch everything. The onion rings have gone away for the same reason, they burn up the oil too quickly and are not profitable, the shrimp and chicken breast were not ordered enough to keep them fresh, and went away also. We now have burgers, chicken fingers, fries, and specials only.
SamUK

Post by SamUK »

I don't know how regulations are over there but could you have a small fryer (even a home style one) available for cooking small orders in the off season? Mine heats up in a few minutes because it's only got a 3 litre capacity.
bao-bao

Post by bao-bao »

TheCornerBar wrote:If you are the first to order food, the oil has to be heated to temperature.
Your level-headed reply - leaving out the histrionics, accusations and name calling - is a fine example of a class act - and one that some other loose cannons could learn a LOT from.

Having had some restaurant experience myself I can vouch for your explanations. See you next time I'm in town. :)
Pattayamale

Post by Pattayamale »

On Wednesday night Aug 3, I had a great grilled chicken sandwich at Corner Bar which was one of their specials. Since it was grilled instead of fried in oil, it only took a few minutes. It came with (too many) french fries, a large mixed salad, and dessert for 200 baht. The chicken breast sandwich had grilled onion and grilled mushrooms on it. It was juicy, not dry, and had a great taste.

In my opinion Corner Bar does a good job. While most bars in Sunee just have drinks, Corner Bar has gone a step further and offers a limited menu. Since it is not a restaurant, I appreciate that during low season they still provide good food even though the offerings are limited.
Pattayamale
Living happily
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

I also appreciate the level headed reply. The bottom line is if the owner is not on the premises, it is unlikely things will be served in the proper way. This is not just a problem in Thailand but in just about any country.

Restaurant and Bars are a tough business and require the owner is there 99% of the time. Many owners seem to forget this all too easily and lose customers and money to dishonest employees. In both instances I mentioned I did not see either of the owners on the premises. Possibly they were there but were not visible or I would have said something in person.
Pattayamale

Post by Pattayamale »

firecat69 wrote:I also appreciate the level headed reply. The bottom line is if the owner is not on the premises , it is unlikely things will be served in the proper way. This is not just a problem in Thailand but in just about any country.

Restaurant and Bars are a tough business and require the owner is there 99% of the time. Many owners seem to forget this all too easily and lose customers and money to dishonest employees.. In both instances I mentioned I did not see either of the owners on the premises. Possibly they were there but were not visible or I would have said something in person.
Are we talking about the same bar that you rumored was up for sale a few weeks back?

I am sorry that I don't know your background, but in most countries the owner may not always be present at the business. They hire managers to manage the business when they are not there.

If you re-read your post, does it sound like you are trying to give expert advice to the owners? Maybe this is your field. But I doubt that it is. Having a business that is open 7 days a week for 8 hours a day, and more time to do the accounting, inventory and shopping would be exhausting. I think the owners are doing a wonderful job.

You post that you would have said something in person. So if you need a reply to something you can always use the PM feature of this board.
Pattayamale
Living happily
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

In fact I have owned 3 Restaurant/ Bars one of which seated 250 people. So I undoubtedly know more then you do. You show your lack of understanding by saying the owner hires managers to run the business. This may be true in a Chain Restaurant situation but if you want to succeed in a small business situation then the owner better be present during the hours when business is done. Of course it is impossible to be there every minute but during prime hours, he better be there if he wants to control theft and quality.

I would expect that after 8pm in the evening in Sunee Plaza on a Friday night would qualify as the beginning of possibly good business.

If you bothered to read my post you would see that I thought their reply was level headed and my only comment was that I did not see either of the owners on the 2 nights I wrote about. I have seen them there many times on past trips when they were present. From their response I think it would be safe to assume they were not present or those chicken fingers would not have been served.

Once again I stand by my comments that anyone who owns a small business especially in the Restaurant/Bar business better be present most of the time or they won't be in business very long.
kenaubkk

Post by kenaubkk »

TheCornerBar wrote:Unfortunately, the staff gets lazy and we do not catch everything.
as the old saying goes "a good carpenter never blames his tools" - perhaps if you were better at planning menus that actually suited your customers and equipped the kitchen appropriately you wouldn't have so many problems with "lazy" staff!

bkkguy
TheCornerBar

Post by TheCornerBar »

“Planning menus”? “Equipping the kitchen”? For those of you that have never been to The Corner Bar, it is a BAR, not a restaurant. I have NEVER intended it to be a dinner destination. Yes, occasionally, nameless chef likes to play, but that is all it is.

I make a living selling alcohol. The SMALL menu was added to keep late night customers in the bar drinking a while longer. To call what I have to cook in a “kitchen” is a gross exaggeration. It is a converted closet and equipped accordingly. The menu is quite well suited for the customers it was designed for. Are there occasional problems? Of course. Does it happen on a regular basis? Well, to be honest, too often for my taste, but this is Thailand.

I keep everything fresh and have to guess on a daily basis what will sell that day. If I guess wrong, I run out or have leftovers to give to the boys. If I do not have staff enough to cook, the kitchen cannot be open at all. Even if you see many boys, that does not mean I have staff available for cooking.

Food is a SMALL sideline of The Corner Bar that has been very well received and I am happy that most of the time, we get it right. When we do not, most of my customers let us know, and we do whatever it takes to rectify the situation. Others hide behind message board anonymity making complaints that I am not able to address. If you are looking for five star dining and service for dinner in LOW season in Thailand, go to one of the very few busy restaurants: Café Ritz, Butter Kitchen, and Enjoy André are a few good choices. If you have had too much to drink and want a 120b snack at midnight, The Corner Bar can fix you up.