La Merenda

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
Gaybutton

La Merenda

Post by Gaybutton »

On the "New Indonesian Restaurant now Open" thread ( viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3356 ), 2lz2p describes the restaurant and its location. Also on the new Jomtien 2nd Road, across the street from the Bali Breeze restaurant, the Jomtien Beach side, and about a block and a half closer to Soi 5, the soi for the Pattaya Immigration office, is the La Merenda Italian restaurant.

We haven't tried the Bali Breeze yet, but last evening we did try the La Merenda. We really enjoyed it. It's definitely Italian. The owner was chatting away with a friend of his in Italian. His wife is the head waitress. She's Thai, but she also speaks excellent English and fluent Italian. The service was excellent.

The prices are moderate and quite reasonable for what you get. A loaf of Italian bread is served and replenished if you want more. Our only disappointment was there were no soup choices, but plenty of everything else ranging from pasta to pizza. Their specials menu apparently changes daily. One of my friends and I each ordered the Eggplant Parmesan and we shared an order of Ravioli Fungi Porcini alla Crema. Mama mia, it was good, both dishes! I haven't found anywhere that has Eggplant Parmesan since Chez Vickie closed. Another friend had the lasagna and he gave it a big thumbs-up as well. Yet another friend tried the cannelloni and he greatly enjoyed it too. There were also several dishes I had never even heard of before that I'd like to try.

We're going to be back - many times. If you're in the area I highly recommend it. Also, right next door is another restaurant - a Thai-Danish restaurant that features a large number of Smørrebrød selections, also at very reasonable prices. We're going to give that restaurant a try very soon too.

That's great! 3 new restaurants within very close proximity to each other.

I found a web site that has plenty of photos of La Merenda. It's in German, but definitely worth a look: http://www.pattayaforum.net/forum/showt ... hp?t=14700

Lvdkeyes, I'll be very interested in your opinion of these restaurants once you have a chance to give them a try.
bao-bao

Re: La Merenda

Post by bao-bao »

Another nice review here - thank you. Normally I lose weight while enjoying a few weeks in Thailand, but the variety of new places to try might reverse that trend. ;)
DeE

Post by DeE »

Thanks GB for the heads up on the La Merenda.

I would really like to know what the last two photos are on the La Merenda website.

Take a look. The very last photo could be a cheese cake with cinnamon & brown sugar topping?

The second to the last photo I haven't a clue.

I'll be back down in a couple of months and let you all know how it tastes--whatever it is.

Cheers

D.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

DeE wrote:I would really like to know what the last two photos are on the La Merenda website.
If you copy the URL and do a Google Translate from German to English, the translation is pretty good. I know they're both desserts, but we didn't try them and I really won't know what they are until next time.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

The site doesn't tell what these desserts are.