Southern States American food

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
gertrude

Southern States American food

Post by gertrude »

Does anyone remeber.the Southern American States......excuse my ignorance ...but I dont know what to call it....but the Southern American food place that use to be in South Pattaya...the signage is still there.

I would love to try that kind of food, Fried Chicken and other things they cook,mostly I think its black cooks...sorry Im not from America..however is it called Southern Food?
I love cooking with the thai boys that live with me...so I try to watch youtube vids on how to cook.

Anyone here know much about this kind of food?
lvdkeyes

Re: Southern States American food

Post by lvdkeyes »

I know American southern food very well, what is it you want to know about?
gertrude

Post by gertrude »

Sorry..its called American Southern food.
Well..there was only one place that I did know of in Pattaya that was selling this food...it was in a Soi at the end in Day Night area...seems closed long ago.

What is the main menu....Fried Chicken ?....Can you give me some ideas of meals ?
Is it difficult food to cook ?
I have a few days off work so I would like to do some cooking this week with one of my Thai tenants who loves cooking.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

gertrude wrote:Fried Chicken ?....Can you give me some ideas of meals ?
Is it difficult food to cook ?
There are dozens of videos showing various ways of making Southern Fried Chicken on YouTube. Here is the one that, judging from the number of views, seems to be the most popular:

This next one is my personal favorite:

lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

This is how my long time US partner's mother from Kentucky cooked the simplest tasty Southern Fried Chicken:

Soak your chicken in salt water in the fridge overnight. When you are ready to fry it, rinse it well. Using a heavy frying pan that has a lid, melt Crisco to about 1/2 the depth of the pan over medium high heat. Season flour well with salt & pepper in a large plastic bag. Put dark meat in first, close the bag and shake to thoroughly coat the chicken. Carefully place the chicken in the pan with meaty side down. Do the same with the white meat (breast). Cover the pan and let it cook for about 10 minutes. Using tongs, not a fork, turn the chicken over, replace the lid and cook for another 10 minutes. Turn the heat up to high. Turn the chicken back to meaty side down and fry with the lid off until golden brown and crispy. Turn once more and do the same with the second side. Drain on a wire rack, not on paper towel, if you want your chicken to remain crispy.
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

Another southern style of cooking is called "Cajun," which is extremely popular in Louisiana.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cajun_cuisine
gertrude

Post by gertrude »

FANTASTIC THANKS ,im going to make fried chicken tommorrow on my day off i will see how it goes.
I dont know what to have with it however maybe baked potatoes ?
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

US Southerners have mashed potatoes with gravy, greens (mustard, collard or turnip or mix of the three), corn on the cob, mac 'n cheese, sliced tomatoes and sweet iced tea. That is typical.
YardenUK

Post by YardenUK »

lvdkeyes wrote:US Southerners have mashed potatoes with gravy, greens (mustard, collard or turnip or mix of the three), corn on the cob, mac 'n cheese, sliced tomatoes and sweet iced tea. That is typical.
would u have a good traditional well-tried recipe for the gravy for the mashed potatoes please?
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

YardenUK wrote: would u have a good traditional well-tried recipe for the gravy for the mashed potatoes please?
Home-made gravy requires pan drippings from roasted poultry. Since you are frying, it would be more practical to just buy canned ready-made gravy.