Siam@Siam

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
Gaybutton

Siam@Siam

Post by Gaybutton »

After reading the article in the Pattaya Mail ( http://www.pattayamail.com/diningout/si ... lace-39588 ), RichLB and I gave it a try. We both loved it. It is everything the article says it is, and more. The interior of the restaurant is beautiful and the service was excellent. We drank water. Neither of us wanted the wine. We could hardly believe the price. Total bill per person was 602 baht. It's worth at least 3 times that much. If you like prawns, you're going to love theirs. They're huge. I wish I knew where they get them from. I never see any that size for sale anywhere. The Wagyu beef was magnificent. There are many other selections as well and plenty of Thai food choices if you take a Thai friend with you.

There were two negatives. They have a farang 2-man singing group. They were WAY too loud. We spoke to the manager about it after dinner and said that in a restaurant music should be background, not dominating. If you sit anywhere near them it will be impossible to talk to anyone else at your table without shouting, and even then you'll be lucky if you can hear what's being shouted. Every customer in the restaurant was seated far from the singers. Nobody sat in their immediate vicinity. I don't know what the hell they need with music that loud, or music at all for that matter, but nobody seemed to appreciate it. Fortunately, the restaurant is quite large and you can get a table far away from the singers. If you make sure to do that, it's tolerable. We were lucky. While we were there the singers took a 20 minute break. We hope the manager will do something about it by the time we go again, but you know how Thailand is, so I'll be pleasantly surprised if they really do turn down the volume to an acceptable level.

The second negative is the hotel's parking lot. It has to be the most poorly designed parking lot I've ever seen. First you have to spiral up several levels before you even get to any parking. When you do get to the parking area it is very compact, making it very difficult to park and even more difficult to get out. If you're trying to get out while another car is trying to get in, you're not going to be able to. Not only that, but there is no exit ramp. You have to go back down the same way you came up. If you're going down while another car is coming up, good luck. You'll see what I mean if you take a car there. Next time we go, we're going to try to find parking elsewhere before we use their parking lot again.

The parking lot has a separate elevator from the main hotel elevators. You have to take the elevator down to the lobby. As soon as you exit the elevator, you'll see the main elevators directly across the lobby. The restaurant is on the 6th floor.

Other than that it was a delightful experience and if you try it, I think you'll agree and I also think you'll agree that the price for the quality you get is very reasonable.

There were plenty of empty tables while we were there, but this is low season. When high season rolls around, it might be a different story as people discover this restaurant. Still, it doesn't hurt to make a booking. The number is 038 930 600. Their web site is: http://www.siamatpattaya.com

The name of the restaurant is Big Fish.

It is very easy to find the restaurant. It's directly across Second Road from Big-C - on the left as you go up Second Road. You have to be blind not to spot it. Their Siam@Siam logo is in large blue lights on the side of the hotel, clearly visible a good 10 blocks or so before you get there.

They do the buffet only on Friday's and Saturdays, starting at 6:00pm.

As an aside, if you don't know the difference between Wagyu beef and Kobe beef, see this article: http://www.buedelmeatup.com/2012/12/04/ ... agyu-beef/
Gaybutton

Re: Siam@Siam

Post by Gaybutton »

Siam@Siam's buffet is now open every day. For full details, including location, booking phone number, etc, see: http://www.inspirepattaya.com/pattaya/b ... l-pattaya/

I really urge everyone to give it a try. At that quality and the 555 baht price I believe it's one of the greatest, if not the greatest, deal in Pattaya. And getting there is an easy baht bus ride from any of the gay venue areas in Pattaya.
bao-bao

Post by bao-bao »

Thanks for this, GB - You can't miss the big purple hotel, but I wasn't aware there was a worthwhile place to eat inside!
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

I've stayed at Siam @ Siam several times and like the hotel very much. I guess the design is art deco. The roof top bar and pools levels are unique and there's good views of Pattaya Bay. I've booked via Agoda, look for discounts and deals. I did not care for the restaurant, OK but for me nothing special. After dinner go up to the roof and have a drink.

The only problem is if you get a bay facing (south side) room there's three open bars on Second Road that really blast the music. All three bars with live music and all playing something different. The room vibrates. They shut down at 1am or there-about. You'll see some references to the loud music on the Adgota review section. Not a problem for me as I keep late hours. If you're a early to bed guy then forgo the bay views and get a room of the north side of the building. The very nice manager told me they get a lot of guests complaining about the noise but their efforts with the police have not been successful other than to get them to close down at 1am, most nights. Some nights they close down early if there's no customers.

There's a Siam @ Siam also in Bangkok.

http://www.siamatpattaya.com/#intro

I prefer the sea food buffet nearby at the Holliday Inn Executive Tower, not the building facing beach Road. It's the new building and is behind the main building so be sure you're in the Executive Tower. The restaurant is at the pool level. Around 1200B. Pricy but worth it.