Kotta

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
Gaybutton

Kotta

Post by Gaybutton »

I was debating with myself whether to write a review for Kotta. First, they've moved from their original location and now occupy a hole-in-the wall restaurant next next door to the Real India and La Taverna restaurants in Jomtien. If you look them up on their Facebook page, wrong restaurant. At the moment they're showing their original restaurant on their Facebook page, but not their current location.

The food was very good and certainly quite reasonably priced. It's European and Thai, with an extensive photo menu. Along with everything else, there are also two set menu choices. It's quite popular. The restaurant was crowded. Every table was full and the staff speaks English quite well.

You'll first be served with a basket of garlic bread. I had their goulash soup, which was as good as any I've had. For my main I had the Crabmeat Suzette, also really good. They top it off with a plate of fresh fruit and a limoncello. I had water to drink. My bill came to 325 baht.

Sounds very good, doesn't it? And it was. So, why was I reluctant to post about it? Because it's hot as hell in there and very noisy from the street noise - we were treated to a chorus of tour bus noise, loud motorbikes, and emergency service sirens. Most of the restaurant is open air. They do have an "aircon" room with a couple tables, but the door to the room was wide open the entire time we were there, rendering the air conditioning ineffective. Our table was the first inside, right by the sidewalk and it was still overwhelmingly hot. They do have a wall full of oscillating fans, but they're much too small and are mounted far too high to have any effect at all. I had to get up and stand outside for a couple minutes several times during our meal and by the time we were done, all three of us were sweating profusely. In all honesty, if I wasn't there with friends and hadn't already ordered, I would have gotten up and walked out - and in my entire life I've walked out of a restaurant only once (that was the now long gone Chez Vicky, near Soi Day-Night - that's another story in itself).

I'm sorry. The food really is very good, but I can't say I enjoy suffering through a meal while roasting alive. So, be warned about the heat. I'll be back to Kotta for sure, but not until the weather cools or they do something about the heat.
Up2u

Re: Kotta

Post by Up2u »

Thanks for the review. We were always fans of the old Kotta; plenty of good Italian eateries in the Jomtien area and certainly no need to be uncomfortable for dinner.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Up2u wrote:certainly no need to be uncomfortable for dinner.
Especially if you plan to go out afterwards. Somehow, I doubt the bar boys would be particularly thrilled by a farang showing up in a sweat-soaked shirt and still perspiring.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

GB is a lot more sensitive to heat than I am, but yes it was hot. It's a shame, too, since the food was really good. I like the fact that their menu offered dishes I'd never heard of and if the rest of the fare is as good as what I ordered I'll brave the heat again. I had the steak set menu and the crab suzette. Both were really good and the steak was not Thai beef and was as tender as any I've had in Pattaya. The service was perfect without being overbearing, the prices more than reasonable, and the food was cooked perfectly to order. I just hope they solve the heat problem.