Siambury's farang grocery store and Siam Expat Foods

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
2lz2p

Siambury's farang grocery store and Siam Expat Foods

Post by 2lz2p »

an Expat grocery place further up Soi Kao Talo, called Siamburi (Facebook https://www.facebook.com/siamburis/ or Siamburys on their Flyer, that a UK friend recommended to me.

Glad to hear Vietnamese place has parking close by as that often is a problem. Now, if I could find a Vietnamese restaurant in Pattaya with good Pho.
Gaybutton

Re: Siambury's farang grocery store and Siam Expat Foods

Post by Gaybutton »

2lz2p, I took the liberty of creating a new topic for your post, which originally appeared on the 'Vietnamese Sandwich Shop' topic.

There are several grocery stores that carry a selection of farang items. In Pattaya good places to look include Villa Market, Big-C Extra, Best, and Friendship.

There are also some smaller shops that specialize in farang items. Siambury's has a very good selection or items you just don't find anywhere else in Pattaya and at prices less expensive than grocery stores for several items that are available at grocery stores. For example, for those who want cold water fish, Siambury's carries frozen cod loins. I haven't seen that anywhere else. Along with many other hard to find items, they have a fine selection of cheeses, mostly British cheeses. I found one I had never heard of - Yorkshire Wensleydale cheese. I really liked it and will definitely be back for more. Another item I've never seen anywhere else.

Siambury's opens at 9:00am and closes 8:00pm. The Thai manager speaks good English.

There is another similar shop on "The Dark Side." I haven't stopped in there just yet. It's on Soi Siam Country Club right next door to Nong Bistro.

See: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7299

If anyone knows of other farang specialty grocery stores, please post.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Is this the one you are mentioning: https://www.facebook.com/siamexpatfood/''

My UK friend who recommended Siambury's also recommended Siam Expat Food as similar farang grocery store.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

2lz2p wrote:Is this the one you are mentioning
No, it isn't. That is yet another one I did not know about - but I'm certainly going to know about it soon.

Apparently Siam Expat Food either has two locations or one closed and moved to another location. When I get a chance I'll check both locations and let you know.

The products sold in these shops seem to be primarily British, which is fine with me, and American brands are there too, but not as much as British.

So far, that's 3 or maybe only 2 - and not that I'm complaining, but I wonder why all are on "The Dark Side."

For people who would like to try one of these shops, but can't get out to "The Dark Side," at least not conveniently, aren't there any in the city?

In my post above, on my list of grocery stores that carry a good selection of hard-to-find farang products, I should also have included Food Mart. That's the grocery store in Jomtien at the Pattaya-Suvarnabhumi Airport bus station.

And what about Bangkok? I would think, along with Villa Market, there would be farang specialty shops in Bangkok too, but I have no idea where. If anyone can tell us about similar shops in Bangkok, or anywhere else, please post.

I'm not particularly surprised that places like this are opening, given the number of farang restaurants in both Pattaya and Bangkok. The restaurants have to get their items from somewhere, and these places probably hope to not only sell to individual customers, but perhaps to restaurants too.

"And they'll have to somewhere to get them
And that somewhere to go will be me"

- Karl Bruck (Schermerhorn), 'Paint Your Wagon'
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

My curiosity got the better of me. Today I went to check out Siam Expat Foods.

First, there is only one location - the one next to Nong Bistro. I have no idea why the map depicts a wrong location, but there is only the one location.

GPS coordinates: N 12.93684, E 100.92898

Siam Expat Foods carries almost exclusively British products. Both Siam Expat Foods and Siambury's also carry a selection of Indian foods, which I understand is quite popular in the UK.

It's probably no surprise that both shops carry many of the same products, but they both also have a very good selection of products that one has and the other doesn't.

For anyone trekking over to "The Dark Side" to shop at either of these places, as long as you're out here you might as well try both. It's really no more than about a 10 minute drive between the two.

I changed the topic title so that readers are aware that now we're talking about two different shops.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

There is also another expat store, mainly British, called Huay Yai Corner store. They have excellent crumpets. Best to call ahead to see if they have them. They sell out fast.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

lvdkeyes wrote:They have excellent crumpets. Best to call ahead to see if they have them. They sell out fast.
Why didn't you tell us where it is or provide a telephone number since you're advising to call ahead?

I found their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/huayyaicornerstore/

Speaking of crumpets, the Siam Expat Foods has them frozen and plenty were in stock. I don't recall noticing crumpets at Siambury's.