Pho Mr Nam

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
2lz2p

Pho Mr Nam

Post by 2lz2p »

Last Sunday while returning from Pattaya City Expats Club meeting, I noted a new Vietnamese restaurant on Thappraya Road just up from 3rd Road overpass going toward Jomtien. It is part of Mr Mac's hotel.

Yesterday, I along with bf and another Thai friend gave it a try. Limited menu with 3 kinds of Pho and a few other items. We all ordered large bowls of beef Pho and an order of fried Spring Rolls. The rolls were great, served with a dipping sauce and a salad type leaf for wrapping around the rolls Vietnamese fashion if one so chooses. But for me the soup could have been better but was okay. It was served with the usual condiments (Sriracha Hot Sauce, Hoisen Sauce, lime wedge, sliced pepper, & mint (?) leaf) on the side along with the usual Thai noodle soup condiments. Since I don't care for mint leaf, I didn't try it so just presume it was. A large bowl was 105 baht and, if I recall correctly the 8 spring rolls were 125 baht. My bf asked for an additional order of rolls to take home. A small bowl of Pho is 85 baht. They also have several coffees, but I did not see Vietnamese coffee listed.

There is both indoor and outdoor seating. We stopped by at about 1pm - no customers at that time, but had one outside and one inside table occupied after we arrived. When we entered, they closed the doors and turned on the AC. They also have fans positioned about the dining area. They are open daily from 9am to 11pm.

To enter, I had to climb 3 steps (no handrail), so I had to have some help - still recuperating from my lengthy hospital stay. However, next time I visit, I will enter Mr Mac lobby (only one step) and enter the restaurant from the lobby. Before going I did a google search and came across this write up by a previous customer at their soft opening (includes pictures of restaurant and menu at that time) - https://forums.pattayatalk.com/topic/6 ... raya-road/
Gaybutton

Re: Pho Mr Nam

Post by Gaybutton »

I certainly wouldn't have any complaints about the prices.

I know virtually nothing about Pho. Where is the best Pho in Pattaya?
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

PHO - a noodle soup that can be considered the Vietnam national dish. There are many in USA and can list 20 or more varieties on what is in it (beef, chicken, tripe, etc.). As mentioned, usually served with those condiments plus bean sprouts. My many Vietnamese friends in USA say the key to good Pho is in the broth. Myself, I prefer the rare beef - here is wikipedia link - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pho

As to best, it used to be IMO Saigon Bistro in Central Festival, same owner as two other Vietnamese restaurants on/near Pratamnak Road (Le Saigon) and in Jomtien Complex. As I recall, they were all closed when owners decided to move back to Vietnam (Vietnamese & Thai couple) because of husband's ill health. Since then, I have not found any other place until this one -- BUT, in searching, I noted TripAdvisor lists the following:

Nong Prue Vietnam Restaurant (East Pattaya)

Tummour - Harbor Mall (chain - Thai and some Vietnamese according to review - does not specifically mention Pho)

VT Namnueng (Sukhumvit Road North of Bangkok Hospital Pattaya)

Two Phum Puy Restaurant (Pratumnak Soi 5) - Appears to be mostly Thai & Western food, but Trip Advisor shows it apparently has some Vietnamese dishes.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

Thanks for the review. I've passed that restaurant numerous times at all times and have never noticed any customers so was hesitant to try it.

I like Vietnamese food and when I lived in Florida there were many excellent options but in Thailand Vietnamese food is generally made to Thai tastes. There's different styles of Vietnamese and varying degrees of French influence. I've not traveled much in Vietnam but have in Lao and you notice the French influence.

I was in a very good and expensive Vietnamese restaurant near Boston, USA a few years back and got into a conversation with the Vietnamese owner. I told him I live in Bangkok but can't find Vietnamese food this good. He said that Thailand is known for screwing up Vietnamese food. I've tried many places in Bangkok and Pattaya over the years and some are OK but none are authentic.

Nong Khai (city) has Vietnamese restaurants but it's a different style then I'm accustom to but I like it. Cross the Friendship bridge to Vientiane and you'll find both styles, the Nong Khai style (if it's called that?) and the French influenced style.