Thailand adds UK, US to high risk self monitoring list

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Thailand adds UK, US to high risk self monitoring list

Post by Gaybutton »

I think this announcement merits its own topic since it affects so many of us.

Thailand officially adds UK, US and many more western countries to high risk self monitoring list

By Adam Judd

March 14, 2020

Thailand has added the UK, USA and several other countries to list of countries it regards as being ‘high risk’ due to the ongoing coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic.

On 13 March, 2020, at 19:00 Hrs, the Public Health Ministry’s Department of Disease Control, updated its list of countries with ‘ongoing local transmission’.

This list now includes: Japan, France, Spain, Switzerland, Germany, Netherlands, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, the UK and USA.

According to an update posted on the Tourism Authority of Thailand website on 14 March, travellers arriving in Thailand from these countries are expected to “ensure self-monitoring for no less than 14 days”.

According to the Department of Disease Control, self-monitoring involves: “Body temperature screening twice a day, every day since arriving in Thailand, for a total of 14 days. If you have fever with respiratory symptoms, report to the local health authority.”

Travellers who fail to comply face fines up to 100,000 baht and/or one year in jail.

https://thepattayanews.com/2020/03/14/t ... ring-list/
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I notice the article does not say where you would be required to go for body temperature screening, whether these screenings would be required within certain hours, how many hours you have to wait before getting the second screening, or how to prove you complied. It also doesn't say how this will be done if you are going to a rural area rather than a large city.

Unfortunately this leaves many unanswered questions. If we are able to get the answers, they will be posted as they become available.
gerefan

Re: Thailand adds UK, US to high risk self monitoring list

Post by gerefan »

The article says “self monitoring”. So I assume you go and buy a thermometer?!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

gerefan wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:49 am The article says “self monitoring”. So I assume you go and buy a thermometer?!
I doubt it. It also says, "Body temperature screening twice a day." That doesn't sound to me like something they want you to do yourself. You assume and I doubt. In other words a question we can't answer yet.

Of course, if it turns out that you are correct, I imagine when selecting which type of thermometer to use, the gay crowd better hope there are enough rectal thermometers to go round . . .
stkyricesf

Post by stkyricesf »

I will not allow the hysteria to stop me from coming to Thailand in a couple of weeks. I go to see my friends. Of course I'll be careful, but I refuse to allow this hysteria to control my life.
gera

Post by gera »

stkyricesf wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:24 am I will not allow the hysteria to stop me from coming to Thailand in a couple of weeks. I go to see my friends. Of course I'll be careful, but I refuse to allow this hysteria to control my life.
i am a pessimist but this is probably the first time in my life where the reality is darker than my worst expectations. This is not hysteria for sure.
At least check what are conditions for entering Thailand in your concrete situation. And, of course, I hope that you are young and healthy forty years
old. Enjoy your trip!
stkyricesf

Post by stkyricesf »

Thank you gera for your concern. I'm still scheduled for my trip, but you never know. With all the restrictions being initiated, it may still be canceled. I'm hoping not. I'm 66,but feel like I'm more healthy than most youngsters. We'll see what happens.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

gerefan wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:49 am The article says “self monitoring”. So I assume you go and buy a thermometer?!
Self-monitoring and self quarantine means you can't get off the plane go to your hotel room or wherever and then go out to the bars that night. You check your temperature twice daily and log it. Seems pretty clear to me, other countries on the list must comply. When you go to BHP they put the country list in your face. Not on the list you get a green sticker. If you traveled from a listed country you are pulled to one side and temperature taken.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Up2u wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:46 am Self-monitoring and self quarantine means you can't get off the plane go to your hotel room or wherever and then go out to the bars that night..
I'm waiting for them to start using police ankle bracelets to keep track of the whereabouts of those on self-monitoring and self quarantine. Does Thailand even have those?

The quarantine is 14 days. Can't a person become ill on the 15th day . . . ?
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Up2u wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:46 am
Self-monitoring and self quarantine means you can't get off the plane go to your hotel room or wherever and then go out to the bars that night.
I see no requirement for quarantine, except from China and a few select countries. Self monitor, yes.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:58 pm Can't a person become ill on the 15th day . . . ?
They have data for this, from all the contact tracing on early cases. The average time from exposure to signs of illness is less than a week. 14 days is probably calculated so that a very high percentage of cases are caught.