Will Thailand shut down entertainment venues due to virus? Maybe . . .

Anything and everything about Thailand
Bangkokian

Re: Will Thailand shut down entertainment venues due to virus? Maybe . . .

Post by Bangkokian »

Trongpai wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:43 pm Nothing in the English language press yet but Thai TV is reporting that all entertainment venues in Bangkok are now closed.
Today open,I think
The Cabinet on March 17 officially postponed the Songkran holidays in April and ordered schools, stadiums, movie theaters, bars and other entertainment venues in Bangkok closed from March 18-31.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

I assume restaurants remain open. What about restaurants that are also a bar? Cafe's? A Bar and grill? Who decides what exactly a bar is? Silom soi 4 venues?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Trongpai wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:00 pm I assume restaurants remain open. What about restaurants that are also a bar? Cafe's? A Bar and grill? Who decides what exactly a bar is?
According to what I have been reading, apparently most of those decisions are going to be left to the province governors. Other than Bangkok, at the time of this post I have not seen any decisions coming from any of the provincial governors just yet.

I would find it hard to believe that the governors are going to make snap decisions without having at least something to help the large numbers of people about to lose their jobs. I'm also wondering, if the governors do decide to close the bars and whatever else and come up with ways to help those people, what will be the requirements for eligibility of any benefits, if any are offered? How do these people prove they actually held these jobs in the first place?
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Pattaya to shut down all entertainment venues including bars:

Pattaya to close all entertainment venues, such as bars, nightclubs and massage shops until the end of the month

By Adam Judd

March 17, 2020

We can confirm that the Provincial Government of Banglamung and Chonburi have ordered, effective tomorrow, March 18th, 2020, that all entertainment venues must close until March 31st, 2020. The Pattaya News spoke with the Banglamung Police Chief over the phone this evening and confirmed the information.

This is a proactive measure to help reduce any potential spread of the Covid-19 Coronavirus.

This effects ALL bars, cinemas, sports venues, karaoke bars, nightclubs, gogos, beer bars, massage parlors (Including Soapies), Gentlemen clubs, etc. This is regardless of the size of the venue or bar. It is NOT an alcohol sales ban which is still available from stores.

It does NOT effect restaurants, malls or shops which may stay open, but must ensure proper hygiene measures and at least one meter between patrons.

The Pattaya News notes this is also NOT a lockdown, people are free to move about as normal, it is merely a proactive closure of places that have mass gatherings and potential close contact of others. The order is meant to increase social distancing between people and prohibit large events and groups of people temporarily.

This historic decision essentially will put one of the world’s biggest party cities to sleep for several weeks and put tens of thousands out of work temporarily in a city that depends on the nightlife industry for over 80 percent of its revenue.

https://thepattayanews.com/2020/03/17/p ... the-month/
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Good bye Sunee Plaza, it’s a pity it had to end like this. It will be looked at in years to come how just a few people managed to ruin the whole economy of a vibrant city for no good reason.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

gerefan wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:07 pm Good bye Sunee Plaza, it’s a pity it had to end like this.
I'm not ready for Sunee Plaza's funeral just yet. I think that notion is premature. We'll see what happens once this is over - if it's ever over. I'm not optimistic, but I'm not pessimistic about it either. For me, it's wait and see.

Other than Thailand, where else can gays go and find what the Thai bars have to offer, at the prices offered? I believe if the demand returns, the supply will return. I'm not holding my breath, but maybe a rebirth is just what the gay go-go scene needs - in all of Thailand. I think we'll all be happy if that happens. Don't forget, often people don't realize what they had until they've lost it. This is one time a possibility does exist for getting it back, perhaps even better than it was.

In the meantime, there is no shortage of available boys on the apps.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

gerefan wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:07 pm Good bye Sunee Plaza, it’s a pity it had to end like this. It will be looked at in years to come how just a few people managed to ruin the whole economy of a vibrant city for no good reason.
The swan song for Sunee began years ago this might be the final act :!:
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:43 pm In the meantime, there is no shortage of available boys on the apps.
I wonder how long that will be for...

Once the boys realise there are no customers in town they may well return to the rice farms.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

gerefan wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:28 am Once the boys realise there are no customers in town they may well return to the rice farms.
Not all boys on the apps work in the bars. Not even most of them. The vast majority of them have jobs that have nothing at all to do with the bars and many are not looking for customers. Many who are looking for customers are merely trying to supplement their low income jobs. If you don't believe me, get on the apps and see for yourself.

If all the bars - go go bars, beer bars, whatever - are gone forever, that will certainly be upsetting, but even if that happens there still will be plenty of available boys on the apps.
odd

Post by odd »

One bright spot in this crazy world is that whilst having lunch in a restaurant close to Jomtien beach I did notice a much larger than usual number of Thai boys walking towards the beach. Could it be that there will be a revival there?