Thailand Prepares for the Worst

Anything and everything about Thailand
RichLB

Re: Thailand Prepares for the Worst

Post by RichLB »

Has Thailand even thought about stopping the 90 day reporting at immigration. I have to go this week and I understand the place is packed. I confess I'm nervous about it. I know there's supposed to be an app, but apparently it doesn't work.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

RichLB wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:41 am Has Thailand even thought about stopping the 90 day reporting at immigration.
No mention of it. However, don't forget you can still designate someone to take your passport and do it for you. You don't have to do the 90-day report personally. I hate it when I go and the person whose queue number just before mine has a stack of them.

You also still have the option of doing it by regular mail.

If you go, for me it's always been the least crowded around 3:30pm.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

It is incredible what some people will do for money. Some of the Thai insurance companies have stopped selling lump sum payout policies for the Corona virus. One of the reasons is because some people have intentionally exposed themselves to the virus in order to get the payout money.

I can't even imagine that. Risking your life to get insurance money. And what are these people thinking? Insurance or not, if they do get the disease they will still have to pay the medical expenses. I wonder if the insurance companies can somehow prove people intentionally exposed themselves, if that is grounds for refusal to pay.

See: https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/18 ... s-to-cease
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Covid-19 claims second life in Thailand

Mar 24. 2020

A Thai male aged 70 who had been diagnosed with Covid-19 since February 4, has died, a source from the Ministry of Public Health reported on Monday (March 23) evening.

It was the second death in Thailand of a Covid-19 patient.

The patient, who also suffered from underlying tuberculosis, had been admitted at Bamrasnaradura Infectious Diseases Institute on February 3 and had been on ventilator since. He was the 25th person to have tested positive for Covid-19 in Thailand.

The patient had no travel record to foreign countries. He worked as a driver of a non-regular route public carrier.

The first fatality from Covid-19 in Thailand was reported on February 29 of a Thai male aged 35 who had been diagnosed with dengue fever before he tested positive for Covid-19. The patient was given favipiravir, an experimental antiviral treatment, and white blood cell serum from a patient who had recovered. The virus had been eliminated since February 16, but his lungs suffered a lot of damage and causing his death.

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30384724
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Public notice from Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital, Pattaya:

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Thailand reports 3 more deaths, 106 new infections Tuesday

by Apinya Wipatayotin and online reporters

24 Mar 2020

The Public Health Ministry on Tuesday reported three more deaths of coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) patients, increasing the toll to four, and 106 new infections, raising the total number of infections in Thailand to 827. The number of new confirmed cases was lower than the 122 recorded on Monday.

Dr Taweesin Wisanuyothin, spokesman for the ministry, said the three new deaths were Thai men who suffered from underlying health conditions. One was 70 years old and had suffered tuberculosis. Another was a 79-year-old Muay Thai guru who had several chronic diseases and was admitted for treatment on March 16. Both were at the Bamrasnaradura Infectious Diseases Institute in Nonthaburi province.

The other death was a 45-year-old man who had suffered from obesity and diabetes. He had been treated at a private hospital in Bangkok.

Dr Taweesin said the 106 new infections fell into three groups.

The first group, numbering 25, was of people in contact with previous patients or at the venues where previous transmission of the disease is thought to have occurred. They consisted of five people from boxing stadiums, six from entertainment places, 12 in contact with previous patients and two who attended religious ceremonies in Malaysia.

The second group, numbering 34, comprised 20 returnees and foreigners. That group included 10 who were in crowded places or worked with foreigners, and four medical personnel who contracted the disease from other patients.

The third group, numbering 47, was of people whose cases were under investigation.

Of the total number of 827 infections, 57 people have recovered and been discharged, including five on Monday. A further 766 remained at hospitals, including four severely ill patients on respirators. Eighty percent of patients were in good condition.

Dr Taweesin asked everyone to practice social distancing, staying 1-2 metres from one another, to help control the disease.

Dr Walailak Chaifu, the epidemiology director of the Disease Control Department, said Covid-19 had now spread to 47 provinces, with Bangkok -- especially its boxing stadiums – the epicentre. The ratio of male to female patients was 2:1.

The transmission rate in Bangkok was estimated to be 1:3 – each infected person transmitting to three others -- while the rate in other provinces was estimated at 1:2, equaling the average global transmission rate.

The cabinet was to meet to discuss additional measures to cope with the coronavirus pandemic later on Tuesday.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... ns-tuesday
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Excellent video!
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

No curfew as rumored. Don't go home stay where you are.... State of Emergency

Government to declare emergency decree to stop Covid-19 Coronavirus spread on Thursday

By Adam Judd

Tuesday, 24 March 2020

At a live, televised, press conference this afternoon, March 24, 2020, Thai Prime Minister Prayut Chan-O-Cha announced that an emergency decree had been approved and would officially start on Thursday, March 26th, 2020.

The requirements for the decree will be announced on the same day. The Emergency Decree act of 2005 gives the government permission to enact these measures.

The Prime Minister said some requirements would be compulsory and some would be requests. A special committee would be formed to implement policy and procedures for the requirements. He did not state how this committee would be chosen.

He stressed for people not to return to their home provinces and that there would be checkpoints and quarantine measures taken along the way for those who do. Provincial governors have full authority and are cooperating to quarantine those who do so. Violations of those leaving quarantine or self isolation could face fines of up to 20,000 baht.

The emergency decree gives various powers, including the potential of restricting domestic travel, censoring media, implementing curfews, taking over buildings, etc.

It is important to note, however, that none of these measures have been officially announced and will not until at least Thursday of this week. Rumors of a curfew taking place as early as this evening are false, The Pattaya News notes.

The Prime Minister also said that social media would be very closely monitored during this emergency decree period. Those sharing fake news or making claims of cover-ups, etc, will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Meanwhile, financial aid is being discussed and coming from both the Finance Ministry and the Department of Social Security. Banks are also working with both consumers and businesses to help those affected by the crisis.

https://thepattayanews.com/2020/03/24/g ... -thursday/
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Up2u wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:01 pm No curfew as rumored. Don't go home stay where you are.... State of Emergency
State of Emergency is right. Too many people are taking this far too lightly, and that is extremely dangerous. If people want to expose themselves to danger, fine with me. But when they don't care about exposing others, that is a problem and one of the main reasons why this virus is spreading.

Whatever the Thai government announces on Thursday, I hope it does curtail the spread of the virus and I hope it's not "too little, too late." Personally, I am in full favor of anything they can do to bring this problem to an end.

I hope their announcement will include calling a halt to foreigners having to go to immigration for minor reasons. This is not the time to pack immigration with people. The first thing they can do is stop making foreign residents submit those 90-day address reports. The second thing they can do is suspend foreigners stranded in Thailand from having to go to immigration to get visa extensions. The packed immigration offices are exactly the kind of thing I thought they wanted to avoid. Forcing so many people to go to immigration not only puts them in danger, but also puts the immigration officials in danger.

We'll see what happens Thursday when the announcement is made.

For the record, I will delete any posts that are rumors, hearsay, or anything about this announcement that is not verifiable by a link to mainstream, English language, Thai media. If a post does not include the link, the post will be deleted.

Here are 2 additional articles:

Emergency decree coming Thursday

24 Mar 2020

The government will declare an emergency and introduce new measures to combat the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) on Thursday, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said on Tuesday.

In his live televised announcement at Government House, Gen Prayut said new requirements to control the disease would be enforced and a committee would be formed to work them out on a daily basis.

"Requirements will be announced the day after tomorrow. They will be issued on an ongoing basis to reduce the epidemic. Some will be requests for cooperation and others will be compulsory," the prime minister said.

"Do not return to your home provinces, or you will face penalties. There will be checkpoints along the way. Please do home quarantine (at your current location). Quarantine facilities will be opened locally and also by the government." Gen Prayut said. Various places would subsequently be closed, he added.

"Many people have been infected. There must be field hospitals and large-scale quarantine areas," the prime minister said.

"If the situation does not improve, there will be a total lockdown," Gen Prayut said.

During the state of emergency, Gen Prayut warned, people must be careful what they post on social media. Those who abuse social media would be arrested and prosecuted, he said.

Those who raise product prices unreasonably will also face penalties, he said.

The government is taking the new measures by invoking its right to exercise an executive decree on public administration in an emergency situation, Gen Prayut said.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... g-thursday

PM DECLARES STATE OF EMERGENCY

Mar 24, 2020

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha on Tuesday (March 24) declared a state of emergency to contain the escalating Covid-19 pandemic.

The decree takes effect on March 26. The premier said the decree would be enforced for one month.

The Cabinet on Tuesday approved the emergency decree on public administration in an emergency situation.

The existing Covid-19 centre will be upgraded to the centre of state emergency to tackle all Covid-19 issues. Committees will be set up under the centre to monitor results of its announcements.

On March 26, the centre will announce the government's plan to contain the outbreak and enforce regulations. Stricter measures will be imposed if the situation does not improve, the premier added.

Whether the government would order the closures of more public venues would depend on the situation at the time.

Three Covid-19 patients died on Monday while 106 new cases were confirmed, taking Thailand's total cases past 800, Dr Taweesin Visanuyothin, spokesman for the Public Health Ministry, said on Tuesday (March 24).

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30384733