Bangkok and surrounding areas to shut down for at least 3 weeks

Anything and everything about Thailand
Undaunted

Re: Bangkok and surrounding areas to shut down for at least 3 weeks

Post by Undaunted »

Gaybutton wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:51 pm To me, a solution for people who can't pay their rent should not cause the people they're renting from to now lose their income. I don't know what the solution is, but that ain't it.
Had Thailand offered this kind of relief with a “Stay in place order” those pics of a mass exodus of laid off workers would not exist, as BKK is the center of the virus, at this moment these potential carriers would not be traveling to every corner of the kingdom.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Hmmm bit of a conundrum. Stay in a packed city and inevitably spread it or go out to sparsely populated villages and spread it less....
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:24 pm Had Thailand offered this kind of relief with a “Stay in place order” those pics of a mass exodus of laid off workers would not exist, as BKK is the center of the virus, at this moment these potential carriers would not be traveling to every corner of the kingdom.
The second half of the first article addresses that very point.

The second article also addresses that point.

Both articles talk about how rules and provincial controls are being put into place now, rather than having been anticipated before shutting down so many businesses. What did they expect people who lost their jobs and now have no money to do? Meanwhile, every one of the people shown in the mass exodus photos Undaunted posted are probably already home. ( see: https://www.gaybuttonthai.com/viewtopic ... 77#p100179 )

Hopefully none of them took the disease home with them. What are the odds of that?

Seems to me there is far too much "too little, too late" happening.

Thailand reports 188 new coronavirus cases, brings total to nearly 600

22 Mar 2020

Thailand reported 188 new coronavirus infections on Sunday, its largest daily increase, taking the total to 599 cases, a senior Public Health Ministry official said.

The majority of the new infections are connected to a previous cluster of cases from Lumpini boxing stadium, ministry spokesman Taweesin Wisanuyothin told a news conference.

Seven are in serious condition, he said, while one has already recovered.

"Most of the new cases were found in Bangkok and were among young people who continue to have social activities, which can lead to more infections," Dr Taweesin said, urging the public to stay home.

The ministry said the male patient discharged from Bamrasnaradura Infectious Diseases Institute was a 36-year-old Singaporean, while seven patients in serious condition are being treated at the institute, Siriraj, Chulalongkorn Memorial, Phetchabun and private hospitals.

Many of the 15 new cases reported on Sunday returned to the country after hanging out in pubs in Poipet, just across the Cambodian border from Sa Kaew province, it added.

'Stay in Bangkok'

The ministry urged people who worked in places ordered closed in Bangkok not to return to their home provinces as they could spread the virus to their family members at home, exacerbating the outbreak.

All provincial governors have been ordered to closely monitor people who return to their villages from the capital.

"The rapid increase in the number of new patients could result in many deciding to return to their home provinces," the ministry said.

The ministry also sent an urgent letter informing chiefs of all airports, the Land Transport Department and State Railways of Thailand about the need to strictly screen passengers in an attempt to contain the pandemic.

Infections in Thailand have jumped this month, prompting the government to close shopping malls, restaurants and other gathering venues to stop the pandemic. The nation’s capital imposed a partial shutdown from Sunday.

There has been one death linked to the virus in Thailand so far.

The increase in cases does not necessarily indicate how quickly the disease is actually spreading among the general population, since very few people have been tested, and the number of confirmed infections is bound to rise as testing increases among at-risk individuals.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... nearly-600

Thai Government asks Provincial Governor’s for help in controlling Covid19, surprised at amount of people returning home

By Adam Judd

March 22, 2020

BANGKOK(NNT) – Since the government asked every sector to adopt a “Work from Home” policy, in an attempt to slow down the virus outbreak, more people than expected have been traveling to their hometowns. The Director-General of the Department of Disease Control has informed regional administrations to plan for further outbreaks of COVID-19.

Doctor Suwanchai Wattana-Yingcharoenchai, Director General of Department of Disease Control (DDC), and the National Communicable Disease Committee sent a request to Provincial Governors to make preparations for finding, tracking, monitoring and quarantining any infected people arriving in their districts and villages.

The plan aims to have volunteers searching and monitoring, as well the establishment of a database of home-comers, starting today. The doctor also emphasized the importance of following instructions to prevent the spread, such as 14-days of self quarantine, avoiding sharing cutlery and personal staff, washing hands frequently with soap for at least 20 seconds or using 70-percent-alcohol hand sanitizers, adopting social distancing, especially with the elderly and chronically ill patients. Most importantly, report to medical authorities in the case of developing symptoms.

Despite widespread comments on social media, both from foreigners and Thais, stating that closing all non essential businesses before thinking through possible domestic travel restrictions, the amount of people returning home has reportedly caught the government off guard.

As stated previously, the Thai government says more people than expected left Bangkok, Pattaya and Phuket and they will need the cooperation of the Provincial Governors, many who are reportedly extremely displeased with the decisions made.

Some provinces, like Buriram, seemed to predict this happening and implemented controls on all entering the province prior to the announcement of all non essential businesses closing.

https://thepattayanews.com/2020/03/22/t ... ning-home/
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

I totally disagree with GB. Both the landlord and renter payments are suspended for let's say three months. Do you really think a landlord would find a new tenant? Freeze everything for three months and shelter in place! Many young Thais have bought those new condos in Bangkok and should not lose their home for circumstances beyond their control. This is what USA and other countries are doing. Restrict the movement of people and contain the virus. People like Madame Sunee are rich, don't have mortgages and can do their part to help. We don't need Bangkokians going out of the containment zone spreading the virus to the other provinces.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Up2u wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:53 am Do you really think a landlord would find a new tenant?
That's not the point. You say that Madam Sunee is rich. I think so too. But do you think all landlords are rich and can afford such a suspension? Many landlords depend on rent for their income. Do you think it is right and fair to deprive them of their income because their tenants no longer can afford to pay? Should their tenants be permitted by edict to just stay like squatters? Since the tenants have no money, who pays for the utilities they use if they get to stay for free? The landlords - the ones now deprived of their income?

In your post above you mentioned that the circumstances for the tenants are beyond their control. I agree. The circumstances for the landlords are beyond their control too.

I agree that people who suddenly find themselves out of work and have no money should not have to lose their places of residence. But neither should the landlords be forced to support them. And I do not agree that landlords who are rich should be financially punished because of their wealth, as if their wealth makes them no better than criminals. Are you saying the landlords should all have to just let people stay for free while this is happening? Many Thai landlords have every baht they've ever had invested in the small apartment buildings they own. How are they supposed to live if all their tenants no longer have to pay rent?

I agree there needs to be a solution, but financially burdening the landlords who have done nothing wrong? Maybe you see that as just fine. I do not.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

The point is the landlord's mortgage payments (if he has any) are also suspended for three months. In my condo I know both foreigners and Thai who own condos as investment income. A few may have renters, good for them. When units are unoccupied they have no utility costs, no bills, they just sit there. Of course, they could lower the rents but this is Thailand. Unlike you, my sympathy for these people is low.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Up2u wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:22 am Unlike you, my sympathy for these people is low.
In the end, someone is going to end up losing. I think that someone will be the landlords, especially since people are being urged, but so far not ordered, to stay where they are.

Meanwhile, as far as I know we're the only ones debating and talking about it. If the Thai government has said anything about it or addressed the issue in any way, I missed it.

I have sympathy for both the tenants and landlords. I think the reality is there is no "fair and right for all" solution. You make a valid point. I think I do too. That's the problem.

"You were both wrong. And you were both right."
Yul Brynner (Taras), 'Taras Bulba'
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

Prayut in his daily covid 19 news briefing a short time ago said something about imposing a night time curfew on Bangkok from 26 March. He was vague about the exact time. He then walked away as reporters tried to ask questions.

We'll have to wait until the English press translates this and as usual it will be ambiguous and murky.

Restaurants are allowed to be open for take-away but many have closed. Food Panda in my delivery area show about 2/3rds are closed. Grocery stores open but a lot of empty shelves for some items, beer, bread, eggs and noodles. I had to go to three different grocery stores last night to get what I wanted.

There's some farangs I know that either don't like to cook or just prefer to eat almost every meal out. How are they coping? Some I know don't even have a kitchen.

Look how many times Prayut touches his nose to adjust his mask. I wonder if he had a viral load on his fingers would it pass trough the mask?

Clarifications on news Ch 3 now. They are calling it an emergency decree not quite a curfew, yet. Make it a law or a suggestion it makes no difference to me there's no place to go.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Up2u wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:22 am The point is the landlord's mortgage payments (if he has any) are also suspended for three months. In my condo I know both foreigners and Thai who own condos as investment income. A few may have renters, good for them. When units are unoccupied they have no utility costs, no bills, they just sit there. Of course, they could lower the rents but this is Thailand. Unlike you, my sympathy for these people is low.
In some cases, if they have suspended (ie not deferred) interest payments, perhaps it could make sense to suspend the equivalent component of the rent.
In other cases, the tenants might be earning as normal and the landlord is requiring the income to live off.

I have plenty of sympathy for landlords. Particularly those who got off their arses and worked hard to get whatever property they have. They are often good people, unlike those who expect everything to be handed to them on a plate.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Jun wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:37 pm
I have plenty of sympathy for landlords.
I would have some sympathy too but you are using western logic which is not applicable here. The bulk of Thai landlords are filthy rich and look down at the working peons. A Thai landlord will pays zero in property taxes unlike our home countries so what we think of "normal" market driven forces simply do not work here.