To wear a mask, or not wear a mask

Anything and everything about Thailand
Dodger

Re: To wear a mask, or not wear a mask

Post by Dodger »

Very recent studies in China, which are now being acknowledged in Europe and the U.S., show that all people should be wearing face masks.

The N95 mask are the best, but not as easy to obtain. The regular cheap masks you see the majority of people wearing were originally thought to be a waste of time, but now they're saying they are not.

China is having better success at reducing the number of reported cases, and whenever I find myself wanting facts about a certain product, (and in this case the product being a "virus"), I tend to listen to the manufacturer.

You can order N95 Surgical Masks on Amazon.

Now, as a depressing footnote to all of this: Wearing a face mask (any grade mask) in-and-by-itself, won't prevent you from catching the virus - because the droplets can just as easily get into your eyes. Jay wears goggles when we go shopping. I just keep my eyes closed.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Like GB, I am wearing a mask the few times I go out in public -- if it doesn't help, it doesn't hurt.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Masks are now available at Fascino Pharmacy. I bought this one - 79 baht.

Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:29 am Masks are now available at Fascino Pharmacy. I bought this one - 79 baht
Forget the PM2.5 Masks unless they are rated N95 or N99 because they can only filter out a particle the size of a bowling ball (2.5 mircrometers). These are the kinds of masks that construction workers wear to prevent concrete powder from entering their lungs.

Masks rated N95 or N99 filter out 95% of particles 0.3 micrometers. Corona measures 0.06 micrometers, thus the reason even these masks are not totally efficient to stop this particular virus, although, when you exhale when wearing the mask, it can prevent the air bubbles (which are apparently larger in diameter) from being expelled back into the environment. Meaning, wearing these masks really does more to prevent others from getting the virus if you have it. This is the claim that China is making when crediting the wearing of masks by all people for the decline in reported cases.

If the masks being sold at Fascino are rated either N95 or N99 then they're a safe bet. If they are only rated 2.5 (which usually cost about a dime), I would take a pass.

The only place I've been able to find N95 or N99 are on-line. I purchased mine from Puritan Pride U.S.A on-line.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:22 pm If they are only rated 2.5 (which usually cost about a dime), I would take a pass.
Three reasons, in my opinion, to buy it:

1. There are no N95 or N99 masks available - at least nowhere I've looked, and I've checked a lot of pharmacies. This 2.5 mask is the only mask I've seen for sale anywhere.

2. You don't have a mask and can't find one anywhere. A 2.5 mask is better than nothing. Maybe not much better, but if that's all that's available, it's either that or no mask at all - unless you still have your Halloween mask . . .

3. For show. I still think all the masks are essentially useless and, by the way, so does WHO, but since you have to be wearing a mask to be admitted to just about anywhere now and also to avoid anger from others, at least you'll have a mask if you can't find anything else.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:29 am Masks are now available at Fascino Pharmacy. I bought this one - 79 baht.
Which Fascino?
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Jun

Post by Jun »

Also some masks may be labelled FFP3 or FFP2, based on European standards. FFP3 is preferable.

I suspect the Mickey Mouse mask above is better than nothing, as the virus could be attached to droplets or larger particles in the air, which it might filter out. As for any mask, don't go adjusting or fitting it when your hands have just been all over contaminated surfaces.

I'm quite keen to avoid a large dose of the virus getting directly into the lungs.
If it gets into my eyes, at least my system might have more time to respond before it does get to the lungs in any quantity. No idea if that stands up to any kind of scientific scrutiny.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:54 pm Which Fascino?
I didn't post the specific location because I assumed if one Fascino has them, they all have them. However, the one I went to is the one on Soi Khaonoi (aka Soi Boonsampan), on "The Dark Side" - a few blocks east of the railroad crossing, on the right side.

Jun wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:33 pm I suspect the Mickey Mouse mask above is better than nothing
Probably not by much. My reasons for buying it are posted above. Notice I did not include anything about protection in my post because the only thing I think it will protect is the person wearing it from getting sucker punched right in the nose from some angry nut if he sees someone, especially a farang, walking around without a mask.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Undaunted wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:54 pm
Gaybutton wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:29 am Masks are now available at Fascino Pharmacy. I bought this one - 79 baht.
Which Fascino?
I visited the large Fasico on Pattaya Nua a few weeks ago before heading up to Buriram and they had a large supply of the cheaper masks, but were out of stock on the N95's. They were expecting a resupply. You could give them a call.

Also, some of the seven/elevens sell the N95's made by 3M.

The Home Pro on Sukumvit also sells N95's but were also out of stock the last time I visited.

Amazon is my preference. You can pick out any brand you want...buy a big enough supply to last through 3 pandemics...not pay any inflated prices for the damned things...and get them in a week to 10 days.

Don't waste your money on those cheap Mickey Mouse Masks.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Well, if I had no mask, I'd happily invest all of 79 baht in the Mickey Mouse version AND wear it. Whilst trying to procure something better.

You might just find that anything in demand has a longer lead time than normal. As I found when ordering a litre of Isopropyl Alcohol.