To wear a mask, or not wear a mask

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: To wear a mask, or not wear a mask

Post by Gaybutton »

aussie wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:45 pm I saw a farang asked to leave the 7 shop on Thappraya road opposite the Jomtien Complex because he was not wearing a face mask.
That brings up a few issues. I would find it hard to believe that anyone is still unaware that hardly anywhere is going to admit someone who is not wearing a mask. On the other hand, with the shortage of masks, if a person has genuinely tried, but cannot find a mask, should he be ostracized and refused service? And on yet one other hand, if people believe the masks can prevent the virus, should they have to, against their will, be in close proximity to someone without a mask, no matter why the person doesn't have one?

Jun wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:19 pm Some of them should be fired when this is over.
When it's over? In my opinion it ought to be right now.

It's too bad the person with whom the buck is supposed to stop can't be fired. He seems to be more Teflon than the Teflon Don.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Last night I went to a family mart, myself and 2 other falangs and the cashiers all had a mask on while 1 Thai man with no mask and a hacking cough argued with 1 of the cashiers, they did not ask him to leave.
Today I got a message from a boy I’ve known for a long, long time asking for money to go home, he came to my door he had no mask (I did), he thought the whole thing was funny, at an arms length I gave him some money and a new mask 1 of 2 which I bought today.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:00 pm When it's over? In my opinion it ought to be right now.
A damn good point.
The only problem is it might take some international agreement on this, then they also need to swiftly put some more competent people in there.

Incidentally, I believe the US is one of the biggest contributors to the WHO and perhaps Trump might just insist on a few changes soon. I'm surprised he isn't onto it already.

As for masks, if there is sufficient evidence to make wearing one mandatory, then countries who require people to wear a mask should enforce the rules.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:28 am As for masks, if there is sufficient evidence to make wearing one mandatory, then countries who require people to wear a mask should enforce the rules.
That's fine as long as masks are available. While Thailand hasn't made it mandatory, it is still very difficult to find any - and life here is fast becoming very difficult for people who can't find masks for sale anywhere.

What is so difficult about manufacturing and supplying plenty of masks for everyone? Same for alcohol.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:06 am What is so difficult about manufacturing and supplying plenty of masks for everyone? Same for alcohol.
Manufacturing capacity is typically set up to cope with normal demand.
We could make a wild guess at 0.5 million people might wear masks in hospitals or when working in dusty environments. Thailand is not very safety conscious.
So manufacturing capacity might be set up for that. Any companies who do set up excess capacity might fail due to lack of orders.

If 67 million people want masks due to a once a century global pandemic and they want to replace them regularly, in line with recommendations, we have a problem. When it's the same all over the world, that's even worse.

Also, there is competition between nations: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... asks-tests

Some countries have stricter enforcement of rules than others: https://www.theguardian.com/world/video ... deo-report
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

If you can't find a mask drive up to the emergency entrance at BHP or the main entrance and there is a desk selling masks for 30 baht. They come in different sizes so tell them big or small. The 7—11 at BHP also had them. All of us should be wearing masks. I think food stores should deny entry to people not wearing masks.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Up2u wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:38 am I think food stores should deny entry to people not wearing masks.
Most, along with many other places, are doing just that. No mask=No entry.

At least anybody who still can't find a mask anywhere can go to Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital and buy some there. Thank you for letting us know.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Jomtien Immigration has now posted this sign:

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

2lz2p wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:18 am Jomtien Immigration has now posted this sign
If someone doesn't have a mask, do they hand them out or sell them? If not, is there a place nearby that actually has any masks for sale?
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

DIY (Do It Yourself) face masks are becoming very popular. Not as effective as the hard to get N95 masks, but you can make these at home using a paper towel an 2 rubbers bands.

Sound crazy? Maybe so, but they provide better protection than not wearing a mask at all, and can be made in larger quantities to give to people you know who simply can't afford to buy any masks.

After you hit link below - scroll down to "Make you own surgical mask video".

https://maidsailors.com/blog/how-to-mak ... ical-mask/