PM Declares Nationwide Curfew

Anything and everything about Thailand
Dodger

Re: PM Declares Nationwide Curfew

Post by Dodger »

My opinion only - not fact:

A 24 hour curfew would have to include provisions for people to leave their homes to shop for food and other essential supplies. This being said, there could be over-crowding at food stores during the time slots allotted by the government and/or district to do this shopping, thus increasing the risk of exposure to the virus. Another factor, is that if this curfew backfired, and did in fact result in an increased number of reported cases, the blame would certainly be directed at the person at the top who made this decision. It's hard for me to imagine that person wanting to take this risk.

I was just reading where they imposed a 24 hour curfew in Saudi Arabia in the cities of Mecca and Medina. I'm not sure why, because the women have been wearing face masks for years and the men rarely drive their camels after sundown anyway. Oh well!

Being a firm believer in the old motto: "Plan for the worst and hope for the best" Jay and I went shopping this morning and stocked up on enough supplies to last a month, just in case.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Dodger wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:54 pm Being a firm believer in the old motto: "Plan for the worst and hope for the best" Jay and I went shopping this morning and stocked up on enough supplies to last a month, just in case.
What about the designer polyurethane painted masks for the early morning monks :?:
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Undaunted wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:10 pm What about the designer polyurethane painted masks for the early morning monks :?:
No monks walking alms this morning. Correction: Not polyurethane painted. Just one layer of polyurethane fabric, with 2 layers of cotton fabric on the inside.

You should consider making a few for your room guests. Either that, or just hand them a pair of thong underwear which could serve the same purpose. Just make sure they're cotton, and the straps fit around the ears snugly.

See Pic Here of one being worn wrong.

https://www.advocate.com/love-and-sex/2 ... hould-know
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Dodger wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:27 pm You should consider making a few for your room guests.
Actually, I go out to shop but I want no one at the moment in my place with the exception of my cleaning woman once a week and she wears a mask. Life has certainly changed and I see no reason at this moment to expect any light at the end of the tunnel at least not for the foreseeable future. Thank heaven for Truevision, YouTube, Facebook. Kodi (steaming movies) and the internet!

I think the only thing that will radically change things is a vaccine which hopefully can be developed but from what I see most think that won’t happen for at least 18 months.

Many boys want to come to my apartment of course for money but I won’t take the risk and the thought of staying in for a long period of time with anyone would make me appreciate that my apartment is on a high floor :!:

I have a motorbike for shopping and a big new 1000cc motorcycle which in the morning before it gets too hot go for long rides just to get out.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Undaunted wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:26 pm Life has certainly changed and I see no reason at this moment to expect any light at the end of the tunnel at least not for the foreseeable future.
I see things a bit differently.

By the end of April I see us being through the brunt of this thing, with the lockdowns being lifted, some businesses starting to re-open, and the bars that managed to stay standing calling their workers back by early to mid-June.

When the dust settles, there will be less traffic, cleaner air, much fewer tourists, including the Chinese, and a hell of a lot of Thai people running around with no money in their pockets, which will probably take Pattaya back a few decades as I mentioned in another post.

The retired expats (including us), in my opinion, are the least effected by this pandemic, and only taxed with the challenge of finding things to do to keep busy while on isolation. Jai and I don't invite anyone into our place at all, similar to what you're doing, but at least we have each other which seems to work just fine. I know you stated earlier that you'd rather catch the virus than have a boyfriend. Well, maybe a time will come when you'll want to reevaluate that.. Just a thought!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:49 pm By the end of April I see us being through the brunt of this thing
If you are right, that would be a miracle. Do you truly believe this is going to start coming to an end by the end of April, a little more then 3 weeks from now, while the problem is escalating and there is serious talk about a 24 hour curfew and a lockdowns?

Personally I believe, and I hope I'm completely wrong, that this will still be going on for many months, perhaps even a year or more.

So far I think Thailand has done an excellent job of keeping the number of cases and deaths to a relative minimum, but I have seen no talk of an endgame. At what point will it be safe to say the crisis is over? How many Thais will actually get their jobs back? How many businesses will survive? How many tourists will return?

Unfortunately, my belief is Thailand is in for a hell of a lot of problems for a hell of a long time.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

I think that many of you remember a time when doctors made house calls. Bumrungrad has imitated a new program something like that. For blood draws a qualified nurse comes to you house or condo and draws blood after taking your temp and blood pressure. The next day you consult with your doctor via LINE. You never leave the house.

It all worked out well for me but the nurse arrived in an ambulance and the neighborhood assumed I had bought the farm!

It's available to anyone within 50km from the hospital and approval from you doctor for mostly routine exams. The cost is the same as you going into the hospital.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:25 pm If you are right, that would be a miracle.

Unfortunately, my belief is Thailand is in for a hell of a lot of problems for a hell of a long time.
I know that just about every country in the world will experience economic hardship this year – and possibly into 2021, with Thailand, and possibly all of S.E. Asia going into recession, as we're facing a global recession right now, although I do, right or wrong, believe that the block outs in Thailand will end sooner than some are suggesting, and businesses will start to reopen similar to China, after the numbers peak and there's a sense of containment.

I agree totally that Thailand is in for a lot of problems that will go on for a long time, as you stated, but I've held that same opinion for the past 5 years...long before corona came to town.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

An add-on to my comments above:

It’s impossible to come up with an accurate forecast of when the outbreak in Thailand will end. Trying to forecast when the restrictions in Thailand will end based on the official figures is a flawed exercise in my opinion. One day, someone will have guessed it right and will be happy to tell the world.

We can only look at other countries and say that, in individual outbreaks, the worst passed in about two months, however, we have many outbreaks which, if not contained, will grow at different times, prolonging the crisis.

Some medical experts say that In order to get the outbreak fully under control, restrictions may need to remain in place for six months or longer. Three weeks for review, two or three months to see if it’s really been squashed — but three to six months, ideally, but lots of uncertainty in that.

The lifting of restrictions and the process of getting back to a normal way of living will undoubtedly be a gradual process. It won’t happen over-night. I imagine it will be left up to the Provincial Governors to decide when to lift certain restrictions within their respective provinces, and the government of course will decide when to lift the country-wide block-out to reopen the country.

The consequences of not reopening the country sooner rather than later can be more devastating than the virus, which is one reason I see things starting to move in Thailand sooner than some others.
Jun

Post by Jun »

I'm pretty much in agreement with most of what Dodger has written, although whilst the worst has passed in about 2 months, it remains to be seen if any country can lift restrictions without a big or even bigger flare up in the number of cases.
I'm not sure whether we can trust Chinese data showing this is under control.
South Korea has about 80~100 new cases every day for some time now. So just a slow steady infection rate.

As far as I can tell from reading material from various experts, it seems we are not going to get rid of the virus until we have herd immunity. That's particularly true for a country like Thailand which relies on inbound tourists.

As Dodger says, the consequences of not reopening the economy could be worse than the virus.
This potentially leads to an economic depression, which results in issues over affordability of food, healthcare etc. Following on from depression, we get risks of political instability, wars etc.

So economies will need to be restarted.

If we're not getting rid of the virus and we need to restart economies, we need herd immunity. Via vaccine or people having recovered from COVID.

It seems a vaccine would not be ready until the end of the year, possibly later. Although I really do think they must start overlapping parts of the vaccine approval process to speed things along. The risk of not having a vaccine is higher than normal, so it follows that slightly more risk should be accepted during development.

As for people with COVID, the survival rate for healthy people under 50 is very good.
One of the lowest impact ways of dealing with this would be to remove all restrictions on anyone who is low risk, then that part of the herd can get immunity.
So if there is no big step improvement in treatment expected in the next couple of months, I don't entirely understand why locking down the entire population in Thailand makes sense at present.

Obviously we risk a low death rate, which is very unpleasant.
Some might be very critical of this approach, but it must be compared with the alternatives. The eventual consequence of shutting the global economy down is more deaths and suffering from other reasons.