Anything and everything about Thailand
Undaunted

Sex Workers and The Virus

Post by Undaunted »

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Jun

Re: Sex Workers and The Virus

Post by Jun »

“I used to make decent money sometimes US$300 to US$600 (S$431 to S$862) a week,” Alice says.

$300 is 9900 baht. Assuming a 6 day working week, it's 5 times the Thai minimum wage.
Now if someone is working in a career where earnings are likely to decline dramatically by the time they hit 30 AND their government is unlikely to be particularly generous in taking care of them, you would think it makes sense for them to save a proportion of that weekly wage.

I don't think this is common, but I know one who declared that he's been saving for years for the day when he needs to quit. Including purchasing land.

We probably should have more sympathy for workers from places like Cambodia who come to Thailand and work on the minimum wage. Now they have much less opportunity to save & even less chance of assistance from the government.
Gaybutton

Re: Sex Workers and The Virus

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:53 pm you would think it makes sense for them to save a proportion of that weekly wage.
You are joking, of course. Uneducated or minimally educated Thais saving money? Budgeting? Planning for the future, even if that future is only an hour from now? Dream on . . .

Even if they actually have more money than necessary to survive, what do you think ends up happening to the rest of it? Saving any of it in a bank account? Nooooooooo. It all goes right to Mama - all of it.