Chiang Mai goes dry

Anything and everything about Thailand
ceejay

Chiang Mai goes dry

Post by ceejay »

It has just been announced that all sales of alcohol will be banned in Chiang Mai from the 10th to the 17th of April. The stated aim is to reduce the chance of drunken water fights during Songkran.
It would probably have been more effective if they had given less notice.
Undaunted

Re: Chiang Mai goes dry

Post by Undaunted »

I can’t imagine Covidiots out and about for a cancelled Songkran.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:05 pm I can’t imagine Covidiots out and about for a cancelled Songkran.
Unfortunately, I can . . .
ceejay

Post by ceejay »

A correction. The dates I first heard were wrong. The ban runs from the 10th to the 20th.

As far as what "covidiots" are capable of, consider this. Chiang Mai province has been active in arresting curfew breakers - 40 or 50 per day so far, about 20% of the national total.It is reported that a significant number of these curfew breakers are drunk, and some of these were driving.
Imagine that! Stay out drinking with your mates until the curfew has started and then to think that it is a good idea to drive home, DUI, hoping that you will go unnoticed on a road otherwise deserted because of the curfew!
traveller123

Post by traveller123 »

Surin Province has been dry for several days now and it will last until 30th April
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

Thai social media in Bangkok is all-a-buzz with rumors and panic that Bangkok is next. The beer, wine and spirits shelves were pretty much cleaned out last night before closing at my local Max Value.

I was told it will be restocked tomorrow during the day and reopen at 5pm. I was told to return close to 5pm as they expect another run on booze. They might put limits on amounts or have a take a number system if today is anything like it was last night. The cheap stuff seems to go first.

Update: It's official just announced Bangkok going dry 10 April to 20.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

I went to Gormet Market, Ramintra, Bangkok and it was well stocked. To the rafters, they are prepared. A few beer brands were gone but they were restocking as I left. No limits or long lines.

The spirits and wine section was quite busy. I bought a few bottles of champagne and the BF and I are going to drink it and do the 'Dance Monkey' dance. Celebrating social isolation!