Chocolate Mousse

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
Gaybutton

Chocolate Mousse

Post by Gaybutton »

Many local restaurants feature Chocolate Mousse. Some are good and some not so good. I also see dozens of recipes online. So, I have to ask the one person who probably has the best recipe of all. Lvdkeyes, what's your Chocolate Mousse recipe?
lvdkeyes

Re: Chocolate Mousse

Post by lvdkeyes »

Chocolate Mousse

Raw eggs should not be used in food prepared for pregnant women, young children, or anyone else whose health is compromised.

Serves 4

* 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, use the best chocolate you can find. Lindt is one of the best here.
* 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
* 4 large eggs, separated
* Pinch of cream tartar
* 1/2 cup heavy cream

1. In a double boiler, melt together chocolate and butter, stirring occasionally until smooth. Remove from heat, and transfer to a large bowl. Whisk in egg yolks, stirring well. Let cool to room temperature.
2. In a large bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff. Whisk a third of the whites into chocolate mixture; gently fold in remainder of the egg whites.
3. Whip cream until it holds soft peaks, and fold into chocolate mixture. Chill until set, about 1 hour.
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

There doesn't seem to be much sugar in this recipe. I guess all the sweetness comes from the semi-sweet chocolate?
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Now you have touched on a subject close to my heart! A great chocolate mousse is an almost orgasmic experience and I have yet to find one in Thailand. It's not just the rich, dark chocolatey taste, it's also the silky consistency and the lingering aftertaste that are vital. The best I have ever tasted was at the old Furama Hotel close to the Hong Kong waterfront, now the headquarters of the Asian branch of AIG. It had a revolving restaurant on its 30th floor. Its lunch buffets were superb, none more than the dessert selection. For some reason, though, it limited its offering of chocolate mousse to just two bowls. Once those were finished, there was no replacement. So I always advised my guests to select their desert first, making sure to take a good dollop of the chocolate mousse, and leave it on our table till ready.

What made it so special was its incredibly silky consistency and the dash of cognac that had been added. I would love to find something similar here.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

thaiworthy wrote:There doesn't seem to be much sugar in this recipe. I guess all the sweetness comes from the semi-sweet chocolate?
If you like a sweeter mousse you can add a couple of tablespoons of sugar, but I think this is sweet enough. Remember recipes are only guidelines and, except for baking, can be altered to you own taste. Baking can be a problem if you don't know how to alter a recipe.

Fountainhall, you can use this recipe and add your cognac or Grand Marnier, which would be very nice. orange and chocolate are made for one another.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

The best chocolate mousse I've ever tasted is served at Casa Pascal. No kidding, it is wonderful!!!!