Restrictions to be lifted? Maybe not yet

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Restrictions to be lifted? Maybe not yet

Post by Gaybutton »

Koh Larn will also reopen Monday.

According to the Bangkok Post (see: https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... rom-monday ) Pattaya's beaches will be closed Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays for the time being.

Meanwhile there is confusion about that. According to the Pattaya Mail, it's not that the beaches will be closed on those days, but only that the beach chairs will not be allowed on those days. (see: https://www.pattayamail.com/featured/pa ... e-1-302011 )

We'll just have to wait and see which it is.

Also, still no word about whether the postponed Songkran celebration will take place in July.

Pattaya area officials prepare beaches and set new rules for expected June 1 reopening

By Adam Judd

Saturday, 30 May 2020

Pattaya City Municipal Law Enforcement along with several city officials visited multiple area beaches yesterday afternoon preparing for the announced and expected reopening of area beaches effective from Monday, June 1.

The beach reopening, according to Pattaya City Mayor Sonthaya Khunpluem, was approved by the Chonburi Governor yesterday. The local beaches had been closed for nearly two months to help discourage social gathering that could potentially spread the Covid-19 Coronavirus.

Pattaya City has gone 46 days without a single new confirmed case of the Covid19 Coronavirus as of today, leading authorities to decide to reopen beaches.

The beaches will be open for all activities, not just exercise, including sunbathing, swimming, walking and relaxing, said Mayor Sonthaya Khunpluem.

Beach chairs for rent will be rearranged to promote social distancing with at least one meter apart from other people.

Large gatherings are prohibited, the Mayor added.

Food and drink will be sold as usual from beach vendors, however, alcohol sales or bringing your own bottle of alcohol to the beach are technically against the law, although was not harshly enforced prior to the COVID19 Coronavirus in the area. Due to the virus, it is likely that law enforcement will enforce the no alcohol rule to discourage gatherings based around drinking or partying.

Story and photos: https://thepattayanews.com/2020/05/30/p ... e-opening/
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Sorry, folks - you'll have to live without the popcorn . . .

People warned against eating, drinking in theatres

May 30, 2020

Eating or drinking in theatres is strictly banned to prevent the spread of Covid-19, Department of Health director-general Dr Panpimol Wipulakorn said on Friday (May 29).

She said the department has instructed theatre operators to clean the movie hall after the film ends and arrange seats to maintain social distancing because each show lasts up to three hours.

“A maximum of two people can sit next to each other to maintain social distancing,” she said.

“The operators must check the temperature in the theatre to meet the standards although every theatre has a ventilation system.”

She added that people are banned from eating or drinking in theatres because they will have to take off their face mask while doing so, which increases infection risk.

“If operators want to sell foods and beverages, they must set up partitions as done by restaurants,” she added.

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30388797
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Fitness Centers and Gyms prepare to reopen tomorrow in Thailand with brand new precautions and rules

By Adam Judd

Sunday, 31 May 2020

Fitness Centers, including those in malls, have been given permission from the Thai Government to reopen effective tomorrow, June First as part of a third phase of reopening closed businesses and loosening rules and restrictions enacted previously around the Covid19 Coronavirus.

However, the reopening will include many new rules and regulations designed to stop any potential spread of the Covid-19 Coronavirus.

Although nearly all gym equipment will be allowed to be used by the public and not just free weights like in the second phase two weeks prior it will require disinfecting and sanitizing the equipment after every user. Previously, some gyms had been allowed to open but required only free weight lifting and no other equipment. Gyms in malls in previous phases were also not allowed to reopen in the prior phase.

Masks will be required in the gyms and fitness centers at all times.

Large group classes and group activities are still prohibited. Only limited slots in small group sessions are allowed.

Temperature checks and signing in through the Thai Chana government Covid19 tracing application is required. Hand sanitizer should be available throughout the fitness center.

Staff have been instructed to strictly limit the number of people entering the gyms and fitness centers as well and to encourage social distancing and discourage socializing and chatting.

Patrons should also bring their own towels, according to government regulations. Strict rules around lockers and showers will also be in place.

The Pattaya News notes that not every fitness center or Gym will be opening tomorrow as the decision to re-open is based on venue management. Fitness 7 in the Avenue shopping mall posted a notice on social media that they would not open until June Sixth and CoCo Fitness at Mike’s Shopping Mall posted they will not be opening until June 15.

Jett’s Fitness at Royal Garden posted on social media that they will be open tomorrow, June First, from 6:00 AM to 10:00 PM.

https://thepattayanews.com/2020/05/31/f ... and-rules/
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

I understand that the beaches were open today in Jomtien as were massage shops. Plus beer bars to be opened on 5 June. We shall see.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Yesterday I went to Pattaya's Big-C Extra. Now you are required to both check in and check out using the "Thai Chana" method on a smartphone or sign in and out. Many Thais were just signing in, but I decided to use try the "Thai Chana" method. Your phone must have the LINE app or it won't work. Your phone also must have internet access wherever you happen to be because LINE won't work without it and the procedure also requires a link to the "Thai Chana" web site. That is the only method by which it is done. Of course, many venues have WiFi access for internet.

This was the first time I was going to do it that way, but there is an attendant right there to show people how to do it. There were no long lines for waiting your turn. When I got there, around 11:30am, I was the only one using the "Thai Chana" method, so I didn't have to wait at all.

It is confusing at first, but once you see how it's done it really is not difficult. The attendant had me both check in and check out at the very same time. She said nobody is going to care about that. Ok, fine with me.

Also, all the fears some seem to have about your movements and whereabouts being tracked, I couldn't care less about that. First, I think about how many people throughout Thailand are doing this every day. It would take a lot of convincing to get me to believe someone is trying to track their movements. Second, even if someone is interested in where I go, including bars, so what? Somehow I doubt anyone is going to knock on my door and say, "Aha! We know you went to a gay bar!"

The purpose behind this is to be able to let people know if it turns out anyone who was there during the same time you were there is diagnosed with Covid-19, they can alert you. Thailand has done such a good job of containing the virus that I am in full support of whatever they want to do to keep it in check. I don't see any of this as an invasion of my personal privacy in any way, shape, or form.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:41 am Yesterday I went to Pattaya's Big-C Extra. Now you are required to both check in and check out using the "Thai Chana" method on a smartphone or sign in and out.
Thanks for post GB. I had my first experience with it a few days ago at Villa Market in Little Walk (off of Sukhumvit). They also have someone that can help, which I definitely needed - my bf seems to be a whiz at using line features, but about all I can figure out is how to answer & send messages and photos. Since the scan feature is in Thai, I didn't have a clue of how to do that.

But, according to news articles, a Thai Chana App that includes having English as one of its available languages. However, so far, it is only available for Android phones with the IOS (iPhone) version imminent. I plan to download it to my iPhone as soon as it is available. It apparently makes the checking in and out a breeze (you can even "check out" after you have left the premises in case you forget to do so).

Like you, I could care less about being tracked. I do like the idea that if someone comes down with the COVID19 that was in the premises the same time as myself, I will get notification to get tested.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

2lz2p wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:45 am Thai Chana App that includes having English as one of its available languages. However, so far, it is only available for Android phones with the IOS (iPhone) version imminent.
I have not seen a "Thai Chana" app anywhere and my phone is an Android phone. As far as I can tell, check in and check out is done with LINE. When Line connects with the QR code, which is displayed at every venue where "Thai Chana" use is required, now a link to a web site opens and that is where you complete the process.

If there is some other way to do this with a smartphone, I haven't found it. There is nothing on Google Play or anywhere else I've seen that has a "Thai Chana" app available.

Just why it is set up so that LINE is the only app with which to do this, I don't know, but unless someone has found some other way, besides handwritten check in and out, that's the only way to do it with use of a smartphone.

LINE is free, so if you have a smartphone, but don't have LINE, you might want to download it. You can get it on Google Play or https://line.me/en/
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

I have used Line to scan QR code at Villa Market. Easy to check in but checking out takes a bit longer and I do need help from the attendant. At other venues such as Tops, I just check in and no check out.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Now that several of the restrictions have been relaxed and many more businesses are allowed to reopen, that doesn't mean they're going to reopen - at least not yet. It's not doing much good to reopen if there are not enough customers yet to even break even. Many businesses are opting to wait, saying remaining closed is more financially prudent than reopening and ending up operating at a loss.

In Pattaya, much of it depends on one thing - tourists - foreign and domestic. While many are headed to the beaches, with the social distancing requirements the beach concessions are going to lose a lot of business even if they are operating at full capacity. I won't be surprised if many of them postpone reopening or just give up entirely.

It's a sad situation and no end to it in sight.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

No comment. Have a look at this one for yourselves.

https://thepattayanews.com/2020/06/04/t ... ant-rules/