With Sinovac and AstraZeneca are you really immune (or immune enough)?

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

With Sinovac and AstraZeneca are you really immune (or immune enough)?

Post by Gaybutton »

Not necessarily, according to the following article:

Low immunity after Covid vaccination in some people worries experts

The Nation

June 13, 2021

Experts are encountering the problem of low immunity from the Sinovac and AstraZeneca vaccines.

Thiravat Hemachudha, director of the Health Science Centre of Emerging Diseases at Chulalongkorn University, revealed that many people who had received two doses of the Sinovac vaccine for three to four weeks showed no neutralising antibody, or at only 20-30 per cent.

For a vaccine to be effective, the ability to inhibit a virus must be more than 20 per cent to develop immunity.

People who are normally vaccinated will have high, mid and low response, but they have to go up. Inactivated vaccines, such as the rabies vaccine, require three injections on day zero, three and seven and begin to see immunity in the blood around day 10 and develop in all people on day 14. Two injections a month apart are assessed at three or four weeks after the second dose. However, there should be a satisfactory level of growth in everyone, he said.

But, in some groups that were vaccinated on the same day and got the same vaccine, it appears that there was no immunity at all (less than 20 per cent). It is possible that the same lot of vaccines may have been a problem. Some have major congenital conditions, including diabetes that does not enhance the immune system, he said.

Some patients with Covid-19, who have been infected despite having had two doses of Sinovac or one dose of AstraZeneca, were still infected even in the post-injection immunity test, but it was not very high.

In cases where immunity does not increase, or is less than 68 per cent, which is a theoretical number correlated with virus prevention, they may want to consider getting a third dose of vaccine, either the same brand or a new one.

In the case of allergic reactions or side-effects, there is no clear evidence that it increases immunity because it is inflammation through different systems.

The number of vaccinations against Covid-19 in Thailand from February 28 to June 11 totalled 5,975,070 doses -- 4,362,685 first dose and 1,612,385 second dose.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40001978
Jun

Re: With Sinovac and AstraZeneca are you really immune (or immune enough)?

Post by Jun »

The clinical trials for the Astra Zeneca vaccine and other western vaccines show good results. They also produce good results in terms of reducing excess deaths when deployed at scale in countries like the UK.

However, as with every vaccine, the trial results are a measure against the strains of covid which were present at the time. The virus is evolving.

There have been numerous reports of no antibody response following the Chinese vaccines.
whitedesire

Post by whitedesire »

These studies do make me laugh sometimes and their efficacy rates which indicate that they are crap.

However, what they are not telling you is that they cut down hospital admissions dramatically, i.e. well into the 90% region of people, people will still get covid even though they are vaccinated but their symptoms will be less severe, certainly with the AZ and Phizer jabs
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

whitedesire wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:41 pm people will still get covid even though they are vaccinated but their symptoms will be less severe
If they can get it to the point that Covid is no worse - and no more dangerous - than catching a cold, that would be good enough for me.
Jun

Post by Jun »

whitedesire wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:41 pm These studies do make me laugh sometimes and their efficacy rates which indicate that they are crap.
Would you consider them to be so crap that you will not take a vaccine ?

Maybe you are more demanding consumer than me. Measured against my expectations, the western vaccines are not crap & hence I have taken the first vaccine offered.
The data shows a substantial reduction in covid infections and I've also seen reports of something of the order of a 95% decrease in hospitalizations.
That is very very good.
Do bear in mind that it's common for vaccines and treatments for other ailments to be less than 100% effective, whilst also having side effects.

I agree with Gaybutton -if the vaccine turns death or a severe disease into a mild one, that's much better than no vaccine.

If the virus continues to mutate and another vaccine is shown to be better with the mutations, I might be taking an additional vaccine if the UK government offers it or privately. The UK government is talking about vaccine boosters in future AND is conducting trials with various combinations of vaccines.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:46 pm if the vaccine turns death or a severe disease into a mild one, that's much better than no vaccine.
Especially if Thailand requires proof of vaccination to enter and/or to get any visas, including the retirement visa.