Remember the middle eastern motorbike maniacs? Guess what . . .

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Remember the middle eastern motorbike maniacs? Guess what . . .

Post by Gaybutton »

If the police keep up the enforcement this time, maybe this nonsense will finally stop. And I'm glad to see they are going to go after the businesses that rent motorbikes to them.

I hope they are going to jail and heavily fine these people. I don't understand what the big thrill is about traveling to a foreign country apparently just to cause this kind of chaos. I never see or hear about them doing anything else.

And the part of the article that says the rental companies have to make sure these people "understand road laws in Thailand." They understand. If they didn't know they were doing anything wrong, then why did they abandon the motorbikes and try to run away from the police? Does anyone think they get to drive like that where they come from? Seems to me this kind of driving is exactly why they go to Thailand in the first place. And if that many of them were out on Sukhumvit to road race, somebody had to organize it. I hope they figure out who, and that person(s) gets a much more severe punishment.

I hope every one of them get blacklisted from returning to Thailand.

Fingers crossed.

Over 30 Middle Eastern alleged motorbike racers arrested in Pattaya last night

By Tanakorn Panyadee

23 August, 2022

Over 30 middle eastern alleged motorbike racers were arrested in Pattaya last night following multiple complaints about them illegally racing motorbikes on main roads and causing disturbances at night.

Pol. Col. Kunlachart Kunlachai, Police Chief of the Pattaya Police Station, on Monday, August 22nd, deployed over 30 police officers at around 9 p.m. to crack down on the alleged motorbike racers who came out late at night and illegally raced motorbikes on Pattaya streets, disturbing peace and prompting various complaints from residents and tourists alike.

According to Pol. Col. Kunlachart, this operation was in response to the viral incident last night where a group of motorcyclists appeared to be racing motorbikes and blocking a portion of Sukhumvit Road. He said that Pattaya Police warned and took legal action against foreign tourists who drove recklessly on a regular basis, but some still repeated the deed, as they did not fully understand Thailand’s traffic rules.

As for last night’s operation, Kunlachart revealed that over 30 motorcyclists were arrested around Soi Yensabai. Some reportedly abandoned their bikes and fled on foot as soon as they saw the police officers.

The suspects along with the motorbike rental shops would be charged under various traffic acts, Kunlachart stated. TPN notes that late-night racing is not limited to a single nationality, but is a widespread problem throughout Thailand.

According to Pattaya Police, nearly all the suspects arrested had no license, insurance, registration, tax, helmet, or other requirements to legally drive in Thailand. Pattaya Police noted they are also working on identifying the rental shops renting to these foreign tourists to hold them responsible for renting vehicles without verifying the driver is legal and understands road laws in Thailand.

Story and photos: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/08/23/o ... ast-night/
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

It is about time as this has been going on for some years now. For those not familiar where this happened it is Soi Yensabi just outside of Sunee Plaza.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:22 pm Does anyone think they get to drive like that where they come from? Seems to me this kind of driving is exactly why they go to Thailand in the first place. And if that many of them were out on Sukhumvit to road race, somebody had to organize it. I hope they figure out who, and that person(s) gets a much more severe punishment.

I hope every one of them get blacklisted from returning to Thailand.
I think they drive like that everywhere, if they can get away with it. Including London. That's why they are not exactly popular with everyone, although some people are too PC to comment.

I totally agree with your other comments. Also, if the motorcycles were rented to people without licenses, scrap the motorcycles.
[Presumably they will actually take tea money from the rental company]
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:45 pm It is about time as this has been going on for some years now.
I've never understood why the rental shops want to rent to these people in the first place. When they consider the wear and tear these people are causing, along with the potential for accidents and major damage, it seems to me not worth the risk. If their motorbikes are insured, I'm surprised insurance companies would insure those businesses unless they are charging enormous premiums.

Oh well, this whole thing is on my "I Don't Get It" list and has been there for years.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:43 pminsurance
Do they bother with that ?
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Jun wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:55 pm
Gaybutton wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:43 pminsurance
Do they bother with that ?
No insurance company will insure a bike driven by an unlicensed driver.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
maump

Post by maump »

I met some really nice arab men in UAE, good people. ALways wanted to top, very passionate, very horny, I enjoyed them.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger

Post by Dodger »

By Tanakorn Panyadee

23 August, 2022

Nice article by Khun Tanakorn, but his statement below couldn't be farther from the truth:

"TPN notes that late-night racing is not limited to a single nationality, but is a widespread problem throughout Thailand".

According to the Police Chiefs report the culprits come mostly from Kuwait and Saudi Arabia. It's the Arabs that are causing the problems - and there's been no indication that the problems they're causing is widespread throughout Thailand.

Call a spade a spade: Arrest the motorbike rental agents and the illegal drivers...deport the repeat offenders...and if they're really serious about addressing the problem - station a few BIB in the Soi Yensabai area instead of sitting around with their heads up their asses.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:19 am deport the repeat offenders
As far as I'm concerned, why wait for them to repeat? They know what they're doing and they know the law. I would deport the first time offenders - before some innocent pedestrian or someone else riding a motorbike properly is hurt or killed. I hope this crackdown will be a real crackdown this time.

What irks me is this problem could easily have been solved years ago. At least it's getting attention now. I hope it won't be another one of those things they're cracking down on now, but in a week or two that's the end of it and the motorbike maniacs are right back to doing the same things.

As for the seized motorbikes, I believe not only the riders should be heavily fined, but the rental shops also should have to pay heavy fines for each motorbike they get back - and if they're not reclaimed within a month, auction them off, but do it in a way that none of these shops or their surrogates can get them back that way. Or just give them or sell them at a very cheap price to rental shops that do operate within the law - and within common sense.

I also would be in favor, if they can find whoever is responsible for organizing a multi-motorbike racing session on Sukhumvit, for that person(s) to be charged, tried, and if found guilty very heavily fined, jailed, and when the sentence is up, deport them and blacklist them from ever returning to Thailand.

I believe harsh penalties are appropriate - the harsher the better. Then maybe they'll learn not to do these things. These people obviously have no regard for other people's safety, not to mention honking horns and revving the motorbikes in the middle of the night. I think people trying to walk on the sois surrounding Sunee Plaza shouldn't have to hope they'll successfully dodge speeding motorbikes.

What do you folks think? If they do collide with and injure someone, will they stop and try to help or try to escape? I know what I think . . .

I wonder what the Saudi Arabian and Kuwaiti governments would do if groups of foreigners went to their countries and started doing these things. If the motorbike maniacs go to Thailand to do this instead of doing it at home, there is likely a very good reason why.

See also: viewtopic.php?p=108175#p108175