Airport bus service to Pattaya

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Re: Airport bus service to Pattaya

Post by Jun »

The frequency of the Roong Rueang bus from BKK to Jomtien has been varied according to demand.
From my limited observations, their website times are updated to correspond to the service actually running.

What isn't so good is the online booking. For a start, they charge an extra fee for that, when online booking ought to be cheaper than paying people to take the bookings. Also, they tend to show no availability for online bookings for imminent trips within the next couple of hours. Yet, when I go to Jomtien, there are plenty of tickets available over the counter for that trip. I've never booked online and I don't remember failing to get on the first bus.

Roong Rueang operate quite a good service, direct from Jomtien to BKK, without any of the unnecessary stops found on typical Thai bus services.

As for going to DMK, I'm always starting off in Silom.
The first time, I took the Skytrain out to the last stop and then took a taxi to DMK. This was very stressful, as it was just after DMK reopened and the **** driving the taxi was fairly insistent I should be going to BKK. Only when I was pointing to the DMK sign and getting very irate did he cave in.
After that taxi experience, I just take the Skytrain to the last stop and take a bus to the airport. I like the bus. A number 29 is one of the options. I suppose I could take the 29 bus directly from Sam Yan, however I like the idea of missing most of the Bangkok traffic on the Skytrain.
Now I believe we have the option of the red line, or something like that. Although I heard the stop for DMK is in a stupid location.
christianpfc

Post by christianpfc »

pong wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:41 pm Otherwise latest extension of BTS north runs backside of DMK-not that convenient
Jun wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:00 pm Now I believe we have the option of the red line, or something like that. Although I heard the stop for DMK is in a stupid location.
The red line passes DMK. I have not been on the Bang Sue - Rangsit part, but looking at the map, the red line station is about 700 m south of the railway station, and with the railway station being at the main entrance, that's quite a distance to cover from the red line station. I will check some day if they have a skywalk or travelator.

Railway is another way, but there might be a gap of 1 hour between trains, and they might be late, and it takes about 1 hour from Hua Lampong.

Now it's possible to go between BKK and DMK entirely by rail: ARL, MRT blue line, SRT dark red line. That's two changes, and three different systems (i.e. you have to buy three tickets).
Jun

Post by Jun »

I always dismissed the old railway as an option for getting to DMK. When I have used it to travel further afield, it's obvious that the service doesn't speed up until it's outside Bangkok. The speed within the city is very slow. Outside of Bangkok, it's quite pleasant, at least during the cooler months.

As for the other systems, I thought Bangkok were trialling a common ticketing system ? It would be about time. These days, most capital cities I visit allow payment with both a common payment card and a contactless bank card.