A great way to attract foreign tourists

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

A great way to attract foreign tourists

Post by Gaybutton »

Excellent idea - just raise the prices. Foreigners will think it's well worth it because they'll think they're getting something special. The more expensive something is, the better it is. Isn't that how it works?

Yes foreigners - bend over just a little bit further while I'm unzipping my pants . . .

Thailand Hikes Entrance Fees for Foreign Visitors at Historical Attractions

by Webfact

July 27, 2023

In a recent move by the Thai government, entrance fees for foreign visitors at historical landmarks have been raised.

This amendment affects both registered historical locations and 72 national museums across the country. However, the fees for Thai nationals will remain consistent with the rates set in 2008.

A breakdown of the new rates is as follows:

Historical Parks:

Thai Nationals: 20 baht per person

Foreign Visitors: 120-200 baht (up from 100 baht)

Archeological Sites:

Thai Nationals: 10-20 baht per person
Foreign Visitors: 80-120 baht (up from 50-100 baht)

Regarding national museums:

Small Museums:

Thai Nationals: 10 baht per person
Foreign Visitors: 80 baht (up from 50 baht)

Medium Museums:

Thai Nationals: 10-20 baht per person
Foreign Visitors: 120 baht (up from 50-100 baht)

Large Museums:

Thai Nationals: 20-30 baht per person
Foreign Visitors: 200 baht (up from 100-150 baht)

Furthermore, the government has scrapped the foreign language audio guide fees at four particular sites: Historical Park – Sdok Kok Thanom in Sakaeo, Wat Kudi Dao in Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya, Nakhon Nayok National Museum in Nakhon Nayok, and Surin National Museum in Surin.

Tipanan Sirichana, the government spokesperson, emphasized that the unchanged fees for Thai nationals aim to support education, preserve cultural heritage, and bolster national identity without adding tourism-related financial pressures on the Thai populace, reported Khaosod.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1301839-thai ... tractions/
Jun

Re: A great way to attract foreign tourists

Post by Jun »

Fortunately, most museums don't interest me, particularly the type that have a few broken bits of crockery, a few stones and other small ancient exhibits.
The type of museum that does interest me would typically be one with large industrial & technical exhibits, like old cars or planes. I don't know of many such museums in Thailand, which is not surprising as Thailand did not lead the industrial revolution.
Someone alerted me to a very promising looking private vehicle museum to the west of Bangkok, but that has been closed for a few years now.

Even Richard Barrow says many museums simply aren't worth it & he's generally very enthusiastic.

The parks and larger historical sites are of more interest to me, so occasionally I will pay up.

Fortunately, there are also many free sites to be visited in Thailand.