Facial recognition to be required for large bank app transactions

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Re: Facial recognition to be required for large bank app transactions

Post by Jun »

thaiophilus wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:49 pmI solve the SIM problem by using a dual-SIM phone.
I find it hard enough to find a phone I like without going for dual-SIM.
However, my Pixel has an e-SIM option, so considering your suggestion, perhaps I should look into this.
thaiophilus wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:49 pmincidentally, that's what Santander now does.
Is that a bank account or credit card ?
The only business I have with Santander is a backup credit card, selected as they charge 0% on forex.
Gaybutton wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:44 pmAlso, is there some legal requirement to even have a phone? There are still people who don't carry a smartphone at all or leave their good phone at home and travel with a throwaway or buy a SIM card in the country their visiting - which would have a different telephone number.
No legal requirement, but it's becoming increasingly difficult to work without one.
As discussed elsewhere, SCB have disposed of their desktop internet banking.
Over here in the UK, some towns no longer have a bank. Thanks to fingerprint sensors, logging into online banking via a phone can be easier than desktop.

There's no way I'm leaving my "good" phone at home, as the phone gets far more intense use when I'm on holiday than at home. Whether that be for navigation, searching for places to go, dating or whatever.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:24 pm There's no way I'm leaving my "good" phone at home, as the phone gets far more intense use when I'm on holiday than at home. Whether that be for navigation, searching for places to go, dating or whatever.
I was talking about trying to avoid expensive roaming charges, which unless you have a dual SIM phone such as thaiophilus mentioned. If I am traveling in a foreign country, I am likely to buy a SIM for that country, meaning now you bank won't have the number you're using unless you furnish it to them.

I never heard of eSIM until your post. I read a little about it, but didn't really understand just what it is or how it works - kind of like dark matter . . .
thaiophilus

Post by thaiophilus »

Jun wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:24 pm
Is that a bank account or credit card ?
Sorry, I can't recall what triggered the verification app. It might have been something like setting up a new payee or making a large BACS transfer rather than a card transaction.