The return of odd and even day parking rules on South Pattaya Road

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

The return of odd and even day parking rules on South Pattaya Road

Post by Gaybutton »

South Pattaya road is Pattaya Tai.

The last time, enough years ago already that I entirely forgot about it. It was enforced for what, about 3 weeks before people began to ignore the rule and enforcement vanished?

I don't recall that it did any good reducing traffic problems in the first place. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but as I recall, it actually created more problems than it solved.

We'll see how long it lasts this time.

Pattaya to Enforce Odd-Even Day Parking Rules on South Pattaya Road

By Tanakorn Panyadee

23 August, 2023

Pattaya City will enforce the odd and even day parking rules on South Pattaya Road from September 1st, 2023.

The rule stipulates that parking will be allowed on alternate odd and even days from 11:00 AM to 11:00 PM every day, starting from Sue San Intersection to Wat Chai Mongkhon Intersection.

Law enforcement will rigorously enforce such rules from September 1st, 2023, onwards.

https://thepattayanews.com/2023/08/23/p ... taya-road/
Gaybutton

Re: The return of odd and even day parking rules on South Pattaya Road

Post by Gaybutton »

A good point is made in the article that it is going to take much more than enforcing rules if anything truly effective results. I think all of us know Pattaya's traffic and parking problems are nothing new. In all the years I've lived here, I have yet to see anything truly effective. All that seems to happen is the powers-that-be come up with asinine ideas and the problem still becomes steadily worse and worse. There are still shops that put barriers in the street to prevent people from parking in front of their shop, which of course is illegal. The Sukhumvit tunnel is one of the biggest and most expensive attempts and has resulted in absolutely nothing in the way of solving traffic problems - and it was built in the wrong location in the first place.

However, any idiot can see that it's going to take much more than talk or enforcement of rules if anything effective is going to be done. But that has been the situation for years.

Living here, I have learned when there is a holiday, then if I have to drive anywhere I'll do it very early in the morning or very late in the evening. Otherwise I risk getting stuck in traffic for hours. If I do have to go anywhere in Pattaya during those times, I'll take a motorbike taxi rather than drive. At least they can weave around the traffic and I don't have to worry about trying to find a place to park.

Jun often posts ideas for solutions, but apparently none of those ideas have occurred to the city officials - either that or his suggestions won't put any money into the pockets of some higher-up's brother-in-law.

Anyone surprised that there has been absolutely no news lately about constructing that tram? A great deal of money has been spent on "study" and "research" and yet no ground has been broken anywhere.

In short, my own pessimistic prediction is virtually nothing truly effective will be done and the problems will only continue to get worse.

Pattaya mayor tackles traffic congestion and parking woes

By Jetsada Homklin

August 24, 2023

In a determined response to the escalating issues of traffic congestion and the lack of well-organized parking spaces, Pattaya Mayor Poramet Ngamphichet has taken a leading role in tackling these challenges head-on. On August 23rd, he initiated a focused effort to enhance traffic discipline and parking management along the bustling South Pattaya Road.

Mayor Poramet proposed the implementation of an innovative alternating parking schedule based on odd and even numbered days, operational from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. daily. This regulation encompasses the crucial area from the Sue-san (Telecommunications) – Third Road Intersection to the Wat Chaimongkol Temple Intersection on South Pattaya Road, renowned for its persistent congestion and parking issues.

“The ultimate goal is to establish a systematic approach to traffic and parking management,” Mayor Poramet expressed. “Through this updated parking schedule, we envision a reduction in accidents, an improvement in traffic flow, and greater convenience for both residents and visitors in the vicinity.”

Reactions from the local community have varied. Jarintorn, a local resident, highlighted the necessity of addressing not only parking shortages but also the limited accessibility of public transportation in tourist zones. He emphasized the importance of all-inclusive solutions that go beyond rule imposition.

“Simply enforcing rules without tackling the underlying causes won’t lead to sustainable results,” Jarintorn remarked. “We should strive to prevent authorities from capitalizing on public frustration. Instead, a comprehensive approach involving parking enhancements and transportation upgrades is essential.”

While some of the strategies discussed in this campaign might not be entirely new, certain residents like Thanyapat have noted a recent decline in compliance with these regulations. “Even though these measures have been in place for a while, consistent enforcement is paramount,” she observed. “It appears that recent leniency has contributed to the current situation.”

Orapan, another resident, raised concerns about traffic on the second road, asserting, “Discipline needs to extend beyond enforcement. It involves instilling behavioral changes in how people approach traffic and parking. A combination of stringent law enforcement and ongoing awareness campaigns can effectively strike this balance.”

Commencing on September 1st, city authorities and the police plan to launch vigorous law enforcement and traffic discipline campaigns. The effectiveness of these initiatives remains to be seen as the city strives to create harmony between road orderliness and the convenience of both residents and visitors.

https://www.pattayamail.com/news/pattay ... oes-438929
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:02 pmJun often posts ideas for solutions, but apparently none of those ideas have occurred to the city officials - either that or his suggestions won't put any money into the pockets of some higher-up's brother-in-law.
Absolutely none of the ideas I've posted have been my own.
They're all copied from elsewhere & proven to work. However, copying what works is just too difficult for your average politician.

There clearly is corruption behind every local government construction project in Pattaya. Why else would they waste money resurfacing perfectly good roads ?

Gaybutton wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:02 pmAnyone surprised that there has been absolutely no news lately about constructing that tram?
They won't build a tram.
Despite trams working exceptionally well in many countries in Europe & elsewhere, I have yet to see a tram in Thailand.

They prefer something with a bigger & more lucrative construction project. Put it a long way above the roads & build ridiculously oversized stations.
Then, rather than have 2 lines connecting in the same building, have 2 separate big buildings, which leaves a stupidly long walk at each interchange. Therefore increasing journey times and encouraging people to carry on using their cars.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I haven't even been on South Road (Pattaya Tai) lately. My guess is if this was ever enforced at all, it's already fizzled out.
Can any of you bring us up to date on this?