By Barry Kenyon

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Re: By Barry Kenyon

Post by Jun »

Dodger wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:17 pm I'm saying this because the more Papers they request, the more difficult and time-consuming their jobs get which creates a strain on their internal resources.
From my limited dealings with Thai immigration, they keep asking for information they already have on their systems and information they don't need.

If I apply for a tourist visa, I'm uploading passports, photos of me holding the passport, details of my hotel (which I could change immediately after visa application, which is therefore pointless), details of flights and a bank statement.
They need none of this as they already have it on their systems, along with numerous photos they have taken and my fingerprints. And a record of everywhere I have stayed on previous trips.
All they really need to issue me a visa is my passport number and the fee. They have everything else they need.

It's the same thing when I head down to Jomtien for an extension. They ask for lots of information they already have or information they don't need. That includes my accommodation. It's possible to get a 30 day extension, whilst providing details of a hotel which I will be leaving the next day, before the extra 30 days even starts. I've done that.

Which reminds me. They once found a way of collecting tea money from tourists before they even arrive in Thailand. Remember when the Thai pass was replaced by some other daft document ? This was supposed to be instant, but the processing times were all over the place. Even phoning them didn't make much difference.
One of our board members paid a fee to a third party to expedite this and the document arrived shortly after the fee was paid.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Jun wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:05 pm From my limited dealings with Thai immigration, they keep asking for information they already have on their systems and information they don't need.
My guess is that they can't rely on the integrity of the information they have stored in these systems because the process of collecting, approving, and storing this information is corrupt and extremely disjointed, thus they have to repeatedly ask to see the same information.

Of the 400,000 - 600,000 expats residing in Thailand probably half or more use the services of an agent for one of two reasons; 1) easier than dealing with all those documents and making the trip to Immigration, or 2) They don't comply with one or more of the visa requirements and need an agent to handle this for them. This is the basis of a corrupt system, meaning the information in the system cannot, in-and-by-itself be relied upon.

My motto: Just keep giving them all the "Papers" they want and don't think too much... :lol:
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Comforting words from Hailey about foreigners and Thai income tax

By Barry Kenyon

December 31, 2023

A new YouTube video posted by accomplished speaker Hailey Hicks, director of HH Premium Visa Consulting and based at San Diego State University in California, has offered to Thailand’s worried expats almost 100 percent reassurance that they need not sweat. She also actively markets the Thailand Elite visa, whilst pointing out that this gives no special protection on the income tax front.

Under the heading “5 Myths about Tax in Thailand”, she soothingly promises that the January 1 starting point won’t apply to most expat tax residents, namely those living in Thailand for at least six months a year. They won’t be taxed on money sent from one personal account abroad to one in Thailand as, we are told, that is simply moving money between accounts and is not “assessable” income. Thus they won’t be taxed on cash sent to purchase Thai property. Nor will overseas pre-taxed pensions be taxed in Thailand, possibly because of double taxation treaties (which are very briefly mentioned).

The video argues that the new regulations are designed to catch rich Thais and a handful of foreigners who have been exploiting tax loopholes in the past. But is the soothing message actually true? We all hope so. But it has to be conceded that there is no verifiable documentation provided, simply a screenshot of the bald Thai Revenue announcement last September. And that won’t get you very far.

Significantly, Thailand Privilege (which owns Elite) stated in November 2023, via advisors Hawryluk Legal, that “currently there is no distinction between earnings and savings for tax purposes,” which suggests a very different interpretation from that in the San Diego video is possible. Perhaps Hailey knows something the rest of us don’t. But it may be wiser to wait and see.

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/ ... tax-449099

Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Someone who actually knows what they're talking about. What a concept
bkkguy

Post by bkkguy »

Gaybutton wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:10 am Apparently bkkguy is mistaken.
about what? I was answering your question of "What wealthy farang are going to retire in Thailand if they know their income is going to be taxed? " The LTR clearly meets that and other requirements for wealthy retirees.

and wealthy retirees often travel, so the annual cost of re-entry permits can very quickly get your 19,000 Baht much closer to or above the 50,000 Baht initial cost

and an annual retirement income of at least US$80,000 is not that difficult for a "wealthy" retiree to show, and it is tax-exempt with the LTR

and the retirees I know who have applied for the LTR, and I am sure many others, already have/had adequate health insurance as required before applying, and indeed would not be living here without it

I am not a "wealthy" retiree and the LTR has no appeal to me and does not have a compelling financial case in my circumstances, for many of the reasons that have been raised here, perhaps it is the same for you and other posters here, but looking at the recent increases in applications for the LTR it does seem to appeal to many of one of its target audiences - wealthy retirees - so I don't think I am mistaken and I stand by my previous post
I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!
Jun

Post by Jun »

Dodger wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:00 pm Of the 400,000 - 600,000 expats residing in Thailand probably half or more use the services of an agent for one of two reasons; 1) easier than dealing with all those documents and making the trip to Immigration, or 2) They don't comply with one or more of the visa requirements and need an agent to handle this for them. This is the basis of a corrupt system, meaning the information in the system cannot, in-and-by-itself be relied upon.
That is probably true.
But ALL of the information they have about ME was supplied directly. By me, or including numerous photos and fingerprints taken every time I encounter Thai immigration. That's reliable data.

They're just making it awkward to get visas and so on, so that I might give up and go to a bribe paying agent. That's how corruption works and it rewards people for being deliberately useless.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Summary of Thai visas available: January 2024

By Barry Kenyon

January 4, 2024

Pattaya Mail gives at the beginning of every year a summary of the current Thai visa regulations. The emphasis below is on English speaking countries (UK, US, Australia) whose nationals form the bedrock of the overseas readership. We refer to them in this article as visa-exempt arrivals.

What to expect in 2024
The Thai government is committed to tourist expansion and more visa hurdles are likely to fall in the next few months. Already, only in Bangkok and potentially in Phuket, some visa extensions can be applied for online and there are likely to be more similar projects in provincial immigration. The bothersome 90 days reporting and the notification of address after arrival in the country are likely to remain with us, partly as a consequence of visa retraction. Rumors in 2023 that all expats will soon be required to have their own medical insurance appear to have retreated. Fears that your immigration record will be dragged into the still-confusing Thai Revenue taxation of foreign assessable income also appear false. Some countries are already experimenting with replacing visas and even passports by biometric data for use at airports and immigration bureaux and there will be the start of a long debate in Thailand too about the pros and cons.

Visas in retreat
Tourists from several countries, notably China, Russia and India, no longer require a prior visa to visit Thailand. This is an attempt by the Thai government to boost arrivals from countries believed to have huge expansion potential. Although there have been rumors that citizens of UK, US, EU and Australia will have their visa-exempt status improved from 30 days to 90 days without visiting local immigration, there has not been any announcement.

Extending a visa
Visa-exempt arrivals with a 30 days stamp can obtain a further 30 days on application at immigration with a fee of 1,900 baht. They must fill in an extension form, provide a passport photo and – crucially – provide evidence of their local address on a separate form known as TM30. Evidence would normally be a receipt from the hotel or a property lease, or proof of ownership of a condominium or residence. This proof of address is required as soon as possible after arrival and must be renewed every time the tourist re-enters Thailand. Many hotels and condominiums automatically register their guests online with immigration. If so, they will have an official confirmation from immigration which the tourist will need if requiring a service from immigration such as extending their stay, or as part of the bureaucracy to open a bank account.

Border runs
Visa-exempt nationals can obtain a further 30 days by visiting the border, usually with Cambodia, on a border run. This basically involves a minibus day trip by a tour organizer and the cost is typically 4,000-5,000 baht. Thai immigration has a limit of two entries by land in a calendar year. There is no formal limit on the number of entries by air from any country, although there will be problems if an individual tries to “live” in Thailand by too-frequent arrivals at the Thai airport without an authorized, pre-arranged visa.

Visas from embassies
Increasingly visa applications are online at Thai embassies which offer longer-stay visas including 60 days tourist visas, which can be extended for 30 days at local Thai immigration, together with various three months’ and annual visas for Thai family, marriage or retirement purposes. They can also arrange 10 year retirement visas, 5-20 year Elite visas and the 10 year Long Term Residence visas. Most of these can also be obtained whilst in Thailand at immigration or via the Thai tourist authority for Elite. These visas are expensive, may involve heavy financial investment in Thailand and some require comprehensive medical insurance. The detail is too complex to cover here but embassies, immigration and competent agencies can assist. There is comprehensive discussion on the internet, although not always truthful.

Medical insurance
Mostly visitors to Thailand do not need medical insurance. A few visas do require it, namely O/A retirement visas initially awarded by embassies, 0/X 10 year retirement visas and Long Term Residence visas. The hospital cover now required is US$100,000 or just over three million baht. It’s worth noting that the O retirement visa issued by immigration does not require medical cover although changing from O/A to 0 cannot be done without leaving Thailand. Foreigners with work or labor permits are covered by the Thai national insurance scheme. Currently, the Thai government has a fund to offer compensation where “tourists” (not defined) are injured or killed through no fault of their own. But the fund is discretionary and is used mostly to pay funeral costs and compensation to relatives in sensational cases such as major traffic accidents.

Student visas
The former practice of enrolling as a student of Thai and then attending classes rarely or never is now frowned on. There have been a number of scandals reported involving heads of language schools and deviant immigration officers. It is unwise to seek student status on a non-sincere basis. Those interested in becoming a serious student should contact a language school of their choice to ascertain costs and requirements. Many student and volunteer visas issued during the covid pandemic were shown to be fraudulent.

Working in Thailand
If a foreigner is offered a job, the host company will be responsible for organizing the required visa (non-immigrant B) and Labor office permit. Alternatively, a foreigner can set up his or her own company with capital, acquire Thai partners, register with the Thai tax and health authorities and deal with Thai immigration and the Department of Employment. An informed lawyer is the key to this bureaucracy. For example, many foreign-run restaurants are established through a company set up correctly.

When things go wrong
Working without a permit can lead to deportation and blacklisting. Overstaying a visa for a limited period can be cancelled by fines – 500 baht a day to a maximum of 20,000 baht – but overstays for more than three months will likely lead to deportation and blacklisting. Thailand in recent years has become more strict about drunk driving (especially with accidents) and possession or trafficking of illegal substances. Whilst bail is usually offered by the court, the time scales involved in trying criminal cases can be months or even years if an appeal is involved.

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/ ... 024-449383
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Thai Revenue releases personal income tax data

By Barry Kenyon

January 6, 2024

The Thai tax authority has announced, in its fiscal report for last year, the scooping up of a total of 395 billion baht (circa US$11 billion) in personal income taxes. This was in addition to huge sums raised via value-added tax on sales and corporate or company taxes. Thai Revenue, as is well known, is taxing assessable overseas income, no matter when sent to Thailand, starting on January 1 2024. Foreigners and Thais who believe they have tax to declare should include their overseas taxable income during 2024 on their tax form for 2025.

Significantly, the Revenue also reports that the number of people filing personal income tax forms during the last 12 months amounted to 11 million, mostly Thais, and only about a quarter of the adult working population. In other words, the vast majority of Thais and foreigners do not register with the Revenue via a tax identification number. Personal income taxes in Thailand are collected in arrears and require registration and the filling in of a tax form in the following fiscal year. Contrary to numerous inaccurate reports on the internet, international cash transfers to Thailand are not taxed on arrival.

Very many Thai expats are concerned about the tax implications of sending money from abroad now that January 2024 has arrived. Any taxes due won’t be payable until the tax year 2025 and will require registration to obtain a tax identification number. In other words, there is time for more detail to emerge before any taxes would be payable. Many tax accountants in Thailand believe that foreign transfers from pre-taxed savings, pensions and gifts will not be taxable again, although the Revenue has not specifically addressed that issue or the implications of double-taxation treaties with 61 countries.

The main aim of the Revenue is to close tax loopholes which formerly allowed Thais and some wealthy foreigners to reap huge profits from overseas investments, currency speculations and cash buildups in offshore accounts often held for years. Separately, the Revenue has published new reporting rules for digital platform operators to allow it to collect information on sellers’ total income from their online activities, aiming to nudge more online product and service providers into the tax system.

Many experts believe that the recent words of Lavaron Sangsnit are highly relevant to all recent tax announcements: “The world is getting smaller, more connected and traceable because of digitalization. In the past, it may have been impossible to detect tax evasion, but now it can easily be detected.” Now that Thailand has joined the Common Reporting System (CRS) of around participating 120 countries, financial institutions round the world will inform member governments of individuals’ transactions to fight tax evasion and protect the integrity of tax systems. In other words, when you send money abroad it is no longer a private affair.

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/ ... ata-449478
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Barry Kenyon and writers and reporters consistently tell us farang expats on the retirement visa will not be liable for Thai income tax. That's fine and I'm sure they are right.

The problem is we keep hearing it from everyone except the one source we really need to hear it from so that speculation and guessing becomes fact. That source is the Thai government, but they have yet to clarify it for us. They must know about our concerns, yet they have said nothing. I don't understand why they don't come out and clearly say how it will be.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Thailand pushes for visa-free deals with UK, US etc

By Barry Kenyon

January 8, 2024

Thai premier Srettha Thavisin has told the Cabinet that he is seeking a much more powerful Thai passport which will be enable holders to enter far more than the 34 countries which currently do not require a prior visa or a visa on arrival. Thailand has recently expanded its visa-free policy to several nations including China, Russia and India. Mr Srettha is particularly pleased with the Thai-Chinese agreement which permanently allows tourists visa exemption in both directions.

Vice-president of the Thai Travel Agents Association, Phumiphiphat Meesamran, told the Bangkok Post that the Thai government should now push for visa exemptions for Thai nationals with European nations, the UK, the US and Australia – none of which allow Thais visa-free entry even though their nationals are visa exempt to Thailand for 30 days with an easy option to extend for a further month at local Thai immigration for another month. Mr Phumiphiphat noted that visa-free access in both directions would encourage tourism and further economic growth.

The main barrier to visa-free access to western nations is their belief that Thais may be tempted to overstay, or even settle, without the approved paperwork. The UK, mainland European nations, Australia and US currently insist that Thais applicants have good reasons to return home, such as property ownership, proof of significant employment or other forms of wealth. There are also some Thai critics of the Cabinet policy. Sumate Sudasna, president of the Thailand and Convention Association, said visa-free access normally applied only to tourists and businessmen would still need to apply for special visas. He added that security issues could be compromised by wholesale abandonment of visas.

There is some evidence to support security concerns overall. Some Thais pretend to be tourists visiting South Korea, but they act as “phi noi”, or little ghosts describing their status as illegal workers. Conversely, several Chinese citizens have recently been arrested for illegal working in Thailand. The Thai Chamber of Commerce observed, “If the government and the private sector together advance efforts to build relationships with other countries, the Thai passport can improve its global ranking.” The Asian country whose nationals can visit the most countries without needing a visa is Singapore with 164 choices.

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/ ... etc-449604