Classic Boys vs Toy Boys bars

Anything and everything about Thailand
pinoyfriends

Re: Classic Boys vs Toy Boys bars

Post by pinoyfriends »

If you pay 180 baht for a drink and 250 baht per boy drink, can you suggest to me an appropriate tip for the bar and for the boy?

Assume I drink 2 drinks for myself and 2 drinks for a boy and go home alone. What would an appropriate tip range for the boy and the bar?

Would the tip range change if I take a boy home with me?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I haven't been to the bars in quite a while, but I would usually tip the boy, assuming I had called him over to sit with me, 100 baht.

I don't tip anyone, boys, mama-sans, or whoever if they sat with me uninvited - and they sure as hell wouldn't be getting a drink from me.

The waiter? 20 to 40 baht depending on the quality of service.

The bar? Nothing.

Somebody else will have to speak to how much they tip today.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:52 am I haven't been to the bars in quite a while, but I would usually tip the boy, assuming I had called him over to sit with me, 100 baht.

I don't tip anyone, boys, mama-sans, or whoever if they sat with me uninvited - and they sure as hell wouldn't be getting a drink from me.
I also don't tip people who sit with me uninvited.

The only time my tip goes as low as 100 is if I invite a gogo boy to sit with me and quickly send him back. This is rare, since there are only 2 gogo bars in Thailand that have enough to get me visiting. Hopefully Classic will make it 3.
Then I may off a lad, so no tip is paid in the bar.

I might pay 150 if sitting with a gogo boy for 30 minutes.
At host bars, I might sit with a lad for a longer, so I usually tip 200 if there for over 45 minutes and he's good. I have paid more. This is all approximate, as I don't have the stopwatch out.

I don't want to under tip, but on the other hand, iin Jomtien it is costing 4x as much to sit with a lad as with a farang.
So I'd like to know what others tip in 2023.
SP55

Post by SP55 »

pinoyfriends wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:07 am If you pay 180 baht for a drink and 250 baht per boy drink, can you suggest to me an appropriate tip for the bar and for the boy?

Would the tip range change if I take a boy home with me?
0 baht

No it would not change

That is what I tip when prices are unreasonable.
Jun

Post by Jun »

SP55 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:03 pmThat is what I tip when prices are unreasonable.
What sort of response do you get ?

In Jomtien, the boy typically gets 50-60 baht per drink, out of a ~150 boy drink price. So I'm comfortable tipping them as well as that.
However, I often don't sit with boys in Jomtien, so it's not like I'm running up big bar bills several times per week.

With the gogos, they need the revenue to bribe at least a dozen or so lads to go on stage in underwear. So some increase in drink prices is needed.
However, I would like to know what cut of the 250 the lads get.
Also, I presume they would usually be paid for showing up. Which isn't always the case in Jomtien.
Montree

Post by Montree »

I tip 100 or 200 Baht depending on the boy. I also like to tip something to boys I like the look of. At the moment in Toy Boys there are three boys I've offed in the past who are regularly on the podium and I pop a note in their briefs for old times sake.
pinoyfriends

Post by pinoyfriends »

I visited for a few weeks so I suspect I should tip a little more than a local.

In Jomtien I would tip a guy who sits with me between 0 baht and 300 baht. 0 to 20 baht if he makes absolutely no effort or is a bit pushy. 100 to 300 baht if he provides value and I don't off him: helpful conversation, good massage, sits for an extended amount of time, etc. I tipped at the top end of that in a Gogo bar but there may be some hands in underwear which you wouldn't do in Jomtien.