STD Testing

Anything and everything about gay life anywhere in the world, especially Asia, other than Thailand.
Jun

STD Testing

Post by Jun »

Well a few years ago, I went to the local hospital in the UK for STD testing. I had to phone more than once, then show up for a fixed appointment, have to answer lots of questions face to face & then, their policy is only to send results if I have failed.
So if I don't get results, either I'm OK, or the postman lost the letter or they simply forgot to reply.

I then progressed onto using the Red Cross centre in Bangkok, which was near Lumphini. They charged farang about 200 baht for HIV testing. I needed to pop back later to get results.

More recently, the local health authority offer home testing kits. The pre-test questions are done on line. They post a kit, with 2 swabs, a urine test and a DIY blood test kit. All to be posted back to them. Due to the blood test, it took a few days to psych myself up to use the first kit. Now I've got the hang of it, it's very easy. Also, it covers several STDs.
Jun

Re: STD Testing

Post by Jun »

My results came back OK. Interestingly, it said I show no immunity to Hepatitis B and suggested I consider vaccine.
I've had one, years ago.
There are conflicting recommendations regarding the duration of protection. Some suggest 30 years (e.g.CDC), but I've seen an NHS recommendation of 5 years.

The Thai travel clinic was booked up when I was in Bangkok, so I'll look elsewhere.
aussie

Post by aussie »

Jun wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:31 pmThey post a kit, with 2 swabs, a urine test and a DIY blood test kit. All to be posted back to them. Due to the blood test, it took a few days to psych myself up to use the first kit. Now I've got the hang of it, it's very easy. Also, it covers several STDs.
This type of testing kit with swabs would be very useful in Thailand if it became available. I had throat and rectal swabs along with blood and urine tests when I had my annual trip to Australia last November. There was a std problem with one of the swab results and I was treated before I returned to Thailand. It made me think that along with my regular blood tests at Lifecare Pattaya I need to have swab tests as well while I am in Thailand. These are available but fairly expensive at Clinics like Pulse. If there are better priced and reliable alternatives for swab testing in Pattaya I would appreciate to find out. My health is more important than the cost so I will have the swab testing done here in Pattaya or Bangkok when I visit there.

I know many of the working boys have regular blood tests with Swing but I am not sure if they ever have swab tests so there may be many boys with long term health issues that have not been picked up by just doing the blood tests. I may have had a std problem for many months which was not picked up until I returned to Australia and I am fairly sure that this was giving me other health issues which are now much improved.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

aussie wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:28 pm available but fairly expensive at Clinics like Pulse.
If one thinks he may have been exposed to an STD in Thailand, but it's going to be a while before returning to the home country, it might be worth the expense to have it checked and, if necessary, treated before it can cause more serious problems. And a fairly expensive test and medication in Thailand might very well turn out to be less expensive than in the home country anyway.
aussie

Post by aussie »

Gaybutton wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:05 pm If one thinks he may have been exposed to an STD in Thailand, but it's going to be a while before returning to the home country, it might be worth the expense to have it checked
No symptoms and no reason to suspect a problem but now I will get all the tests including swabs on a regular basis in Thailand or anywhere else I may be located. The testing and treatment is free in Australia but I will pay whatever is required here in Thailand.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

It has become more and more common for the "boys" to get infected with syphilis and HIV or both! They obviously do not use condoms!
Jun

Post by Jun »

windwalker wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:53 pm It has become more and more common for the "boys" to get infected with syphilis and HIV or both! They obviously do not use condoms!
Where did you obtain that information?

Quite a few lads claim to be on PREP and offer bareback. That's not for me.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:05 pm Where did you obtain that information?
I have recently seen the same information in the English language media. Gonorrhea was also mentioned. I doubt anyone here needs me to point out the risks of bareback. I just hope everyone thinks with their brains, not their crotch.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Jun wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:05 pm
windwalker wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:53 pm It has become more and more common for the "boys" to get infected with syphilis and HIV or both! They obviously do not use condoms!
Where did you obtain that information?

Quite a few lads claim to be on PREP and offer bareback. That's not for me.
Personal observations.
Asia Traveler

Post by Asia Traveler »

PREP does not prevent any other STD than HIV and then only if taken properly. I fear many may think on PREP they are safe but not really.