"Big Day" for Songkran water splashing in Pattaya - Friday, April 19

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: "Big Day" for Songkran water splashing in Pattaya - Friday, April 19

Post by Gaybutton »

Supposedly, at least in Pattaya, the water splashing has ended until Songkran 2025. However, since this month long Songkran is unprecedented I am going to leave this topic in place for a couple more days while we see what, if anything more, involving water splashing continues. If it does, the topic will remain in place until we can be certain it has stopped. If not, I will soon be deleting this topic.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:22 pm If not, I will soon be deleting this topic.
Might I suggest just unpinning the topic ? People might find Songkran pics & videos some time after the event.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:25 pm Might I suggest just unpinning the topic ?
Ok, then that is what I will do rather than deleting it. I will make it a standard topic.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Prepared for water:

Young Suk Suk would be worthy of an entire photo shoot in that outfit.
He's quite keen on writing in Thai, considering he comes from Cambodia. Informing us that it's the last day of Songkran.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Jun wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:59 pm

Young Suk Suk would be worthy of an entire photo shoot in that outfit.
He'd be worthy of an entire photo shoot out of that outfit as well... :roll:
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Following Songkran binge, Pattaya hotels exhale for Wan Lai

by Molpasorn Shoowong

April 20, 2024

Hotels in Pattaya and nearby provinces have recorded lower occupancy rates during the "Wan Lai Songkran festival", while hoteliers noted weaknesses in the promotional strategy for the 21-day Songkran celebration.

Morrakot Kuldilok, president of the eastern chapter of the Thai Hotels Association (THA), said the occupancy rate in Pattaya this weekend should reach 70% as Wan Lai -- the late Songkran celebration -- is scheduled in many areas from April 16-21, including Bang Saen, Na Kluea, and at major shopping malls in Pattaya.

The occupancy rate should drop from more than 90% during the peak travel period on April 13-14, she said.

However, Ms Morrakot said hotels expect a large number of last-minute bookings during this weekend.

A lot of visitors to the Wan Lai festival are young travellers from the area and nearby provinces opting for budget hotels, while some of them make day trips.

She said even second-tier provinces in the region, such as Chanthaburi, are seeing tourists flock to its Wan Lai events.

"Despite a sluggish economy, domestic tourists are still allocating a travel budget and visiting Pattaya because of various activities and accommodation options, including several budget choices," said Ms Morrakot.

However, families that are repeat guests at 4-star or 5-star hotels already checked out after the major Songkran events ended, she said.

During the long holiday, Ms Morrakot said most hotels were fully operational, including those focused on large tour groups as international tourism sentiment significantly improved.

Despite a high occupancy rate, the average daily room rate in Pattaya is still less than the average in 2019, she said.

Ms Morrakot said revenue is estimated to be at 80% of the 2019 tally, attributed to a slow recovery of flights.

She said the government's 21-day Songkran promotion did not have an effective strategy and most events nationwide were not unique, lacking a good story to attract tourists.

"Compared with Pattaya's Fireworks Festival, which was a key draw for tourists, many Songkran events were unable to lure tourists," said Ms Morrakot.

Boonkerd Suksrikarn, general manager of Sunbeam Hotel in Pattaya and the association's former vice-president, said the Wan Lai festival in Chon Buri is not well-known by foreigners.

Most attendees are locals and expatriates, he said.

Mr Boonkerd said the celebrations should be elevated to a larger scale, with unique storytelling and appealing cultural content to lure foreign tourists.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/ge ... or-wan-lai
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

As far as I can tell, the water splashing for this year's Songkran has indeed stopped, not only in Pattaya, but nationwide.

Now this topic has moved off of "Announcements" and will remain on the board as a standard topic. If anyone has (or finds) any more gay scene Songkran 2024 photos or videos, please post.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Bang Saray ended its one-day Songkran festival last night (20th) - but not until after sponsoring a truly amazing celebration that lasted from dawn till dusk.

Unlike the rowdy and sometimes dangerous celebrations you see in Bkk, PTY, etc., Bang Saray follows more of the old traditions which I much prefer. I rode my motorbike along the beachfront - down the main street in town, and around some of the smaller sois in our neighborhood while enjoying the celebration and did not once experience someone blasting me in my eyes with ice cold water while I was driving which is commonplace in places like Pattaya. Conversely, the groups of well-wishers politely waved their hands motioning for me to stop so they could apply powder to my cheeks, pour water from a pail down my back, and smiled with a wai as they wished me Sawatdee Peemai.

As always, everyone in town gets involved. Free food was available all day on the temple grounds - as the monks walked alms and performed tamboon. The two police officers we have in town (who I refer to as Laurel and Hardy) took their positions on a small stage set up in the center of town with a foam machine covering them from head-to-toe as they kept falling on their asses to the laughter of the crowds.

The ocean-side park was filled with decorations, games, and free food for the children and their families - with Muay Thai matches being held mostly with younger contestants from the local Muay Thai training center. Small groups of local gay boys and lady boys scantily dressed in colorful beachwear for the occasion could be seen partying their asses off providing some very tantalizing eye candy and adding more color to the tapestry.

The highlight of my motorbike tour through all this mayhem was when a grandmother hobbled over to where I had stopped my motorbike and placed her young granddaughter on my lap - who in-turn softly patted each of my cheeks with powder - followed by one of the sweetest smiles I've ever seen in my life. She must have been all of 2 years old. The other siblings in the family took turns gently pouring water down my back while the grandparents just sat back smiling and nodding their heads.

Well, my wrongdoings from the traditional old year have been washed away by the gentle hands of a 2 year old girl - while I prepare myself for making more mistakes in the new year.

This is what Songkran is all about to me for which I'm extremely grateful.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:12 pm Well, my wrongdoings from the traditional old year have been washed away by the gentle hands of a 2 year old girl
I'm delighted to know you had such a great time. Maybe next Songkran I will go to Bang Saray or some other small village to try to experience the same. I've kinda outgrown, or at least become jaded, to the goings on in Pattaya.

No photos?

In any case, regarding washing away your wrongdoings, are you sure Songkran was enough to wash away all of them . . . ?
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:51 pm
No photos?

In any case, regarding washing away your wrongdoings, are you sure Songkran was enough to wash away all of them . . . ?
Other than taking photos of Jai's fashion designs which he needs for his business I'm very negligent when it comes to taking pics...hear about it all the time from family members...always promise to start...maybe one day.

In answer to your second question: No. It would take a thousand Songkrans to accomplish that feat... :lol: