Pattaya Weather

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Pattaya Record Temperature

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:50 pm Is predicting hot weather in Thailand in April difficult ?
Obviously not difficult. They predicted this heat wave well in advance of it happening and they got it right, including when to expect it.

I know of no homes, including my own, in Thailand that are insulated.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Record-Breaking Heatwave Continues Across Thailand

By Goongnang Suksawat

1 May, 2024

Thailand continues to experience a record-breaking heat wave, with temperatures pushing power demand to unprecedented levels across the nation.

According to the Thai Meteorological Department, more than three dozen districts across the country’s 77 provinces recorded their highest temperatures ever for April, traditionally the hottest month. Some records surpassed previous highs set as far back as 1958.

The intense heat has resulted in a surge in electricity consumption, with power usage reaching a new peak of 36,699 megawatts on Monday (Apr 29), setting the third record-breaking demand within a week. In response to the escalating power needs, Thailand’s state-owned energy company, PTT, has acquired an emergency shipment of liquefied natural gas (LNG) and is reportedly considering additional purchases. LNG is primarily utilized for power generation within the country.

The severe temperatures have also prompted health and safety concerns. The Ministry of Public Health reported an increase in heat-related fatalities, with approximately 30 deaths attributed to the heat this year. Residents have been advised to limit outdoor activities, with forecasts predicting temperatures in most regions to exceed 40 degrees Celsius.

In Bangkok, the heat index, which accounts for humidity, reached a “very dangerous” level above 52 °C, creating extreme discomfort and potential health risks. Meanwhile, the northern province of Lampang recorded a high of 44.2 °C, nearing the country’s all-time highest temperature of 44.6 °C observed in previous years.

The preceding is a press release from the Thai Government PR Department.

https://tpnnational.com/2024/05/01/reco ... -thailand/
Jun

Post by Jun »

TPN National wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 5:52 am The intense heat has resulted in a surge in electricity consumption, with power usage reaching a new peak of 36,699 megawatts on Monday (Apr 29), setting the third record-breaking demand within a week. In response to the escalating power needs, Thailand’s state-owned energy company, PTT, has acquired an emergency shipment of liquefied natural gas (LNG) and is reportedly considering additional purchases. LNG is primarily utilized for power generation within the country.
Much of the peak electricity demand is during the daytime, unsurprisingly (see link).
Therefore I'm surprised Thailand is not promoting the installation of more solar power, since supply could broadly correlate with demand. Far better than some of the expensive & unreliable renewable power installations in northern Europe.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Dai ... _281114160
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Yet another record day for Pattaya today 5 May.

38.8C (101.8 F) at 2.16 pm.

http://www.pattayaweather.net/Pattaya-Records.html
Jun

Post by Jun »

That temperature website doesn't tell us where the weather station is.

However, Pattaya Meterological Station is just up the hill from the entrance to the Royal Cliff Resort. So I guess they are supplying the data ?

I also suspect that's not the hottest part of Pattaya. Near the coast, up the hill and not in a particularly built up area.
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

The site does give the Lat and Long of the weather station. See link below.

I plotted it as just to the east of the Sukhumvit, so as you say not exactly in the centre of Pattaya.

http://www.pattayaweather.net/Pattaya-W ... ation.html
Jun

Post by Jun »

gerefan wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 3:45 am The site does give the Lat and Long of the weather station.
Ah. I didn't read that properly.
Looks to be in a built up part of the dark side, so perhaps reasonably representative of the city?
I guess right on the coast would be cooler.

Now I'm wondering what the output of that site on the hill is ?
Perhaps they supply the official data, here:
https://www.tmd.go.th/weather/province/ ... /61/459203
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

FINALLY RAIN!!!

I was in PTY all morning and it poured cats & dogs the whole time causing small power outages and of course some flooding of sois - but it was wonderful.

The minute the rain stopped I felt more comfortable outdoors than I've felt in months with much less humidity and lower temperatures.

This is when the wet season usually begins - so let's keep our fingers crossed.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 1:13 pm This is when the wet season usually begins - so let's keep our fingers crossed.
Very heavy thunderstorms today on "The Dark Side" too - and it is great. Much cleaner air and finally comfortable temperatures. Better still, similar weather is predicted for the next 10 days.

In another topic I said the way the powers-that-be seem to usually deal with water shortages is to simply hope for enough rain the keep the reservoirs from running dry. Assuming the rain is also falling on the reservoirs and the predictions of continued similar weather, that hope just may happen.

I hope the heat wave is broken and over. We'll see.

As Dodger says, fingers crossed.
Montree

Post by Montree »

I spoke to my boyfriend earlier today and he's just returned to Bangkok and said they'd had some rain and was much happier with the temperature.