Thai sex workers demand legalization

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Thai sex workers demand legalization

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:23 am As far as I know (which isn't much) there are no laws in Thailand which contradict or compromise the precepts of Buddhism
I think it all boils down to selective enforcement - and the ones who do the selecting are more likely to select whatever puts the most money in certain pockets. How many dozens of times over the years have we seen news articles about the police rounding up the Pattaya City beach nighttime prostitutes, taking them to the police station, fining them 500 baht, and immediately afterwards there they are, right back to plying their trade at the same locations where they were when they were arrested?

How many times have we seen articles where prostitutes were caught stealing from tourists and arrested, but never any articles about whether they faced any consequences at all? I have yet to see an article stating that any of them ended up in prison.

In my opinion if the prostitutes demanding legalization are truly speaking for the majority of those in the field, then they should get it.

There is, of course, a significant difference between legalizing prostitution and decriminalizing prostitution, which would mean while prostitution is still technically illegal, it's not illegal enough to arrest them for it.

I also agree with Dodger's position that it may be best to just let everything remain status quo.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 10:10 am How many times have we seen articles where prostitutes were caught stealing from tourists and arrested, but never any articles about whether they faced any consequences at all? I have yet to see an article stating that any of them ended up in prison.
Also, how many times have we seen articles where uniformed mafia were caught stealing (via extortion) and arrested, followed by prison ?

I suspect that's the bigger problem.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 5:23 pm Also, how many times have we seen articles where uniformed mafia were caught stealing (via extortion) and arrested, followed by prison ?
Often enough they don't even get arrested. Likely we don't hear about it at all unless it is high profile and headline news.
KeithAmbrose

Post by KeithAmbrose »

Normally they are promoted!
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

I remember asking myself one time if I'd be happy living in such a corrupt environment where all of the rivers flow with tea money.
Then I came to realize that a life without "tea" wouldn't be any fun at all.

History shows us that there were no significant changes in the Sex Industry in Thailand after the law was enacted making it illegal in 1996...at least no changes that were the result of the new law.

From what I understand the gogo bars and host bars (male & female) which employed a large percentage of prostitutes had to pay tea money to the local BIB even before the new law was enacted based on the fact that many red-light businesses operated without proper licenses, stayed open after required closing hours, allowed underage patrons to consume alcohol on their premises, employed underage sex workers, etc. which opened the flood gates for tea money to flow. It wasn't so much about the "prostitutes" as it was about operating illegal businesses.

Just about every small town in the Kingdom has its own "love shack" where local men (many married) can hire the services of a prostitute for a few hundred baht. From what I've been told by numerous Thais over the years this has been going on for centuries and will never change.

Personally (and I could be wrong) I don't think it's the prostitutes themselves that are pushing for legalization - I think its the government ministries (unnamed) who want the tax money.

All I can say is..."Long Live Prostitution".
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:35 am I think its the government ministries (unnamed) who want the tax money.
If prostitutes are going to be taxed, and we don't know if they will, does anyone really think the prostitutes pushing for legalization are not well aware of it and we know more about it than they do?
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:29 am If prostitutes are going to be taxed, and we don't know if they will, does anyone really think the prostitutes pushing for legalization are not well aware of it and we know more about it than they do?
The question I have is; Are the prostitutes the ones who are actually pushing for legalization?

If we look back at the recent legalization of marijuana debacle - it wasn't the dealers who were pushing for legalization, it was Thailand's Health Minister who reportedly saw this as an opportunity to make $$money$$ by taxing the sales of marijuana reaping billions of baht per annum.

If prostitution was to ever become legal I wonder if the universities and trade schools would start offering classes? Sound funny? Well, think about it. If prostitution were to become a legally recognized profession within the industry then it only makes sense that Thais could gain education on the subject...and even go on to earn degrees. I can see it know: Khun Chanchai Wantoseehimpee has just been awarded a bachelors degree in Prostitution, specializing in oral and anal gratification techniques including the famed Hyneelick Maneuver.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:29 amIf prostitutes are going to be taxed
I understand prostitution is usually a cash business, so good luck taxing it.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 6:30 pm I understand prostitution is usually a cash business, so good luck taxing it.
If they want to tax where the real money is, instead of worrying about taxing prostitution they should start taxing tea money . . .