Pattaya Weather

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Pattaya Record Temperature

Post by Gaybutton »

The weather forecast for today, May 8, does not call for rain, but does call for heat wave "real feel" temperatures again. I hope that doesn't happen, but be prepared for it in case the predictions are correct. Rain is predicted for the next 10 days starting tomorrow.

Unfortunately, according to the article below, there is also a downside.

Pattaya Drenched by Cooling Rains, But Isolated Flooding Causes Havoc

By Aim Tanakorn

7 May, 2024

The areas in and around Pattaya finally saw some much-needed rain Tuesday morning, May 7th, after months of dry weather. However, the downpours came at a cost, as they triggered terrible flash floods in several areas.

In Pattaya, heavy rains lashed the city since the morning, causing rapid flooding along various roads, especially those prone to inundation during prolonged downpours.

On the railway line, between Soi Khao Ta Lo and Soi Wat Thammasamakkhee, the floodwaters caused the street to become impassable for small vehicles. It was estimated that the floodwaters had risen above 50 centimeters on the road surface, making some sections even impassable for all vehicles.

Meanwhile, in Sri Racha, the deluge caused flooding in both residential and commercial areas. Water also cascaded down from hills, carrying along debris and clogging drains, preventing the water from draining into the sea. This resulted in water levels reaching 30-50 centimeters in some areas.

Officials from the Sri Racha Municipality Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Office were forced to temporarily close several roads due to flooding, including Assumpthon Road, Soi Roongped, Soi Sutsakorn, and Khao Kilo Soi 21 Road.

Many residents were caught off guard by the heavy and sudden rains as they were unable to relocate their belongings in time. However, the majority of netizens were relieved and happy as the floods cooled temperatures significantly in and around Pattaya that had been blazing hot for weeks. The rains also helped with ongoing droughts in and around the area, such as this in Koh Larn.

Story and photos: https://thepattayanews.com/2024/05/07/p ... ses-havoc/
Jun

Post by Jun »

Generally, urban flooding is not just caused by heavy rain, but a combination of the rain, concreting over everything and drainage that's unfit for purpose.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 2:13 pm drainage that's unfit for purpose.
That is the problem in Pattaya. Every year we're given assurances that the flooding problem has been dealt with and yet every year the same places flood because of poor, and in some places non-existent, drainage.

This latest rain storm was unexpected, sudden, and severe, but it wasn't severe enough that it should have incapacitated the number of sois and even main thoroughfares put out of action.The heat wave may be over. I think all of us in Pattaya certainly hope so. Today the skies were crystal clear with comfortable temperatures. However, rain is predicted over the then next 10 days.

Heavy rainfall causes flooding in Pattaya communities

By Pattaya Mail

May 8, 2024

Heavy rainfall on the morning of May 7 inundated several communities in Pattaya, with inner areas such as the Third Road and Sukhumvit Road sections particularly affected. Prompt response efforts from law enforcement officers and city officials were initiated to mitigate the impact on residents.

City Hall swiftly dispatched teams to assist residents in the affected areas, focusing primarily on the road adjacent to the railway track at the Soi Wat Thamsamakkhee intersection in South Pattaya, extending towards Soi Khao Talo where significant water accumulation along the road adjacent to the railway track necessitating temporary road closures to ensure public safety.

Despite immediate action from authorities, residents are urged to remain cautious due to the unpredictable weather conditions that could potentially lead to further flooding in the area. However, by noon on the same day, floodwaters had receded in most areas of the city, providing some relief to affected communities.

Story and photos: https://www.pattayamail.com/news/heavy- ... ies-460004
Gaybutton

Re: Pattaya Weather

Post by Gaybutton »

If you are wondering what is going on with this topic and why I changed the title, it is because now we are talking about both heat wave and rainfall. I was going to insist that we discuss it on two separate topics, but on second thought I changed my mind. I think it makes more sense to keep everything about the weather on a single topic - so from now, the topic is "Pattaya Weather."
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

The heat wave does seem to be broken, but now we are into Thailand's monsoon season. As much as I dislike posting weather warnings because so many times nothing happens, both Bangkok and Pattaya are under major rain storm warnings for the next week and flooding is expected. You might want to get any shopping out of the way before the roads are flooded. And I wouldn't want to be caught out there if not only flooding, but flash flooding occurs - which happens all too often.

I believe it is better to be safe than sorry. I suggest stocking up on the usual supplies in case you are stuck indoors or lose electricity. If you have furniture or other vulnerable items that could be flood damaged, the time to move those things to safe levels is now.

I hope this will turn out to be yet another example of warnings that amount to nothing, but I, for one, wouldn't want to find out the hard way that this time the warnings are correct. If you want to be unprepared and take chances, as the Thais always say - "Up to you".
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 11:35 am
I hope this will turn out to be yet another example of warnings that amount to nothing.......
Don't feel bad...there's thousands of meteorologists around the world that hope the same thing every day.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 11:35 am You might want to get any shopping out of the way before the roads are flooded. And I wouldn't want to be caught out there if not only flooding, but flash flooding occurs - which happens all too often
I have been wondering, if alongside the tax breaks, flooding would be another reason why those hideous pickups are so popular in Thailand ?
Gaybutton wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 11:35 amIf you have furniture or other vulnerable items that could be flood damaged, the time to move those things to safe levels is now.
What proportion of farang have rooms at ground level ?
I was under the impression that most would live in flashy apartments, several floors up.
That assumption was challenged when someone said that most live in single room apartments.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 3:30 pm I was under the impression that most would live in flashy apartments, several floors up.
Does that mean I shouldn't warn those who don't fall under the category of "most"?
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 5:18 pmDoes that mean I shouldn't warn those who don't fall under the category of "most"?
No. No reason at all.
After you've issued a warning for all those subject to a flood risk, is there any reason that I shouldn't ask related questions, like what proportion of farang live in locations that are at risk of flooding ?

The last time I bought a house in a village with the river, I very carefully checked to satisfy myself that the house was not at risk of flooding.
In Pattaya, I guess it might be more complicated. For example, who knows which drains will remove water and which will discharge it back onto the street ?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 5:34 pm who knows which drains . . . . . . will discharge it back onto the street ?
As far as I what I've observed, the answer is all of them . . .

Jun wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 5:34 pm what proportion of farang live in locations that are at risk of flooding ?
Many do. What proportion? I have no idea. Maybe someone else does.

All I can do is warn people who read this board. If they don't take precautions and end up flooded, those are the consequences of complacency.

I'm lucky. My house is on a hill. Even during the strongest storms I've never had any water get into my house. On the other hand, an old friend farang has his house on the opposite end from me - at the bottom of a hill - and he gets flooded frequently. I don't know why he stays there, but he does.