Burma to Hold Elections in November - Suu Kyi Excluded

Anything and everything about gay life anywhere in the world, especially Asia, other than Thailand.
Gaybutton

Burma to Hold Elections in November - Suu Kyi Excluded

Post by Gaybutton »

Myanmar junta sets election date of November 7

From Kocha Olarn, CNN
August 13, 2010

Bangkok, Thailand (CNN) -- Myanmar will hold general elections on November 7, Myanmar National Radio announced Friday, in the military junta-led nation's first vote since 1990.

Nobel peace laureate Aung San Suu Kyi's party won a landslide victory in those polls -- a result that the junta refused to recognize.

Myanmar, formerly known as Burma, has been under military rule since 1962. Critics believe that Myanmar's announced elections are intended only to create a facade of democracy.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiap ... &wom=false
penguin

Re: Burma to Hole Elections in November - Suu Kyi Excluded

Post by penguin »

I think the typo in the title of this thread is ironically approriate. The results of any truly democratic elections are bound to end up in a hole. A deep hole.
Gaybutton

Re: Burma to Hold Elections in November - Suu Kyi Excluded

Post by Gaybutton »

penguin wrote:I think the typo in the title of this thread is ironically approriate. The results of any truly democratic elections are bound to end up in a hole. A deep hole.
Thank you for pointing out the typo. I missed it. I've fixed it, but you're right. In fact, I agree with you to the point that maybe I should have left the typo in place.
Rin

Post by Rin »

All the generals are becoming civilians to run for office. It is just a sham.
billyhouston

Post by billyhouston »

It's a total sham, being run under a constitution which lacks legitimacy, with the sole purpose of keeping Sen. Thug Than Shwe in power.
Khortose

Post by Khortose »

Total sham, and sadly the same direction Thailand appears to be heading.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Khortose wrote:Total sham, and sadly the same direction Thailand appears to be heading.
Ditto. And it's pathetic that the surrounding countries have not made it more publicly clear that it's about time the Burma thugs get out of town. Thailand, at times, even seems to be cozying up to the thugs and that's truly disgusting.
billyhouston

Post by billyhouston »

Bob wrote:Ditto. And it's pathetic that the surrounding countries have not made it more publicly clear that it's about time the Burma thugs get out of town.
Yes, the old ASEAN adage (=excuse for doing nothing).... 'we don't interfere in the internal affairs of members'.

Thailand (not China) is their biggest trading partner and has got itself into the position where the generals can, quite literally, put the lights out in Bangkok. While they supply other countries for the foreign exchange, electricity in Yangon is now 4 hours a day, if you're lucky. The only consolation is that there have even been power cuts in Naypyidaw.
Rin

Post by Rin »

This article gives a point of view of why the Mae Sot border is closed. It also points up some conflict between Burma and Thai politicians, in relation to the upcoming election.
http://www.irrawaddy.org/article.php?art_id=19135
pong

Post by pong »

Another thing:
Myanmar=BUrma has introduced a new visum on arrival system from 1/5-comparable to what Cambodia and Laos have. BUT this is to be suspended from 1/9-and on other traveller-fora people who follow all that tell, that more stringent visa-issue and probably, as that date nears even NO visa at all from the Embassy in BKK.