Nahm

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
Keyvan

Nahm

Post by Keyvan »

Has anyone been to Nahm at The Metropolitan yet?

For those who do not already know, David Thompson, the chef and originator of Nahm, is considered to be a world authority on Thai food, his two books [many reprints and already miles ahead of any previous Thai cookbook in world sales] are a testatment to his love and understanding of all things Thai, His food is more generaly referred to as the food of ancient Siam, often vastly different to what is available in Thailand today. Incredible attention to detail, nothing from bottles and jars here, no blenders either, mortar and pestle every time!

His Darley Street Thai in Sydney won world acclaim [one reviewer actually awarded it 20/20 as he claimed that he had never experienced such taste explosions before], and his Nahm in London was the first Thai restaurant to ever gain a Michelin star [and the French do not like any food that is not French].

It was not yet open when last I was in Bangkok, thanks to the Red Terrorists and their destruction of Sathorn and surrounding area!

Young No. 2 chef at Nahm, Bangkok, and exec chef at hotel overall is the young Chris Miller who blew them all away in his 4 years at Begawan Giri [Como Shambhala] in Bali, another Christine Ong hotel.
Gaybutton

Re: Nahm

Post by Gaybutton »

I never heard of it until your post. A Google search yielded the following:

http://www.halkin.como.bz/eat-and-drink/nahm
steveHadders

Post by steveHadders »

I read about it a few days ago on the BBC website. Will try when next in Bangkok
Keyvan

Post by Keyvan »

Gaybutton wrote:I never heard of it until your post. A Google search yielded the following:

http://www.halkin.como.bz/eat-and-drink/nahm
Just noted that Bangkok Post have done a review this past week:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/leisure/cuis ... no-borders
Keyvan

Post by Keyvan »

After a Christmas Bangkok visit I have finally made it the wonderful Nahm. I quote from an article I have submitted about my experience:................

Highlight of this year, and for many years past, was an evening at David Thompson’s wonderful Bangkok Thai restaurant at The Metropolitan Hotel in Sathorn, Nahm. Named after his Michelin Guide award-winning Nahm in London, this Nahm serves regional food, prepared in the exactly same way to the manner of centuries past. A contrast of flavours that excite the taste buds. Sometimes brash and other times surprisingly subtle, this is really refined Thai dining.

No other way to start but with Pomelo and Grilled Prawns with toasted coconut, crushed peanuts and palm sugar on betel leaves [you eat the whole all together not like an elegant ‘farang lady’ I saw nearby who spooned the contents and left the leaf]. Next dish for us was the Minced Prawns and cucumber salad with green mango which was recommended to us by Chris Miller, Executive Chef at The Metropolitan, [ex Uma and Begawan Giri in Bali]. Then a Thai classic, Crispy Catfish stir-fried with red curry paste, pork, wild ginger and beans. Finally the double-steamed ‘kurobuta’ pork and baby squid with bitter melon and shiitake mushrooms. I have made no comments about any of the dishes as they were all quite sensational, the overall balance of the meal perfect. That was to be all for us but David insisted on us finishing with his current favourite dessert, Durian fruit that had been smoked in coconut cream, served with sticky rice of course!

A memorable experience for anyone who can really appreciate the depth of taste!